SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 Shock Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 04:24 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that is the right amount to be cut down. Luckily, Bilstein keep records of modification work they have done. If you mention Peter Rainbird from Townsville Australia, they should have details of the mod work they did for me (:
Old 03-12-14, 04:25 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally gotten around to do this upgrading the front and rear shocks e of my 2006 SC430. I have all of my Blistein shocks in and am getting ready to send the rears off to get cut in order to mount on the rear. Fronts obviously or not a problem.

I was going to place a Sewell order and get new front shock mounts (I hear a clunking noise from the front when turning into my driveway) and the steering rack bushing so I can have them done at the same time. Do you think I should replace the rear shock mounts as well? So far, my sewell order has:
* 48603 RH Front Shock Mount
* 48609 LH Front Shock Mount
* Steering Rack Bushing for '04: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4558.html

Can you think of anything else I should replace while in there? I was really more curious if I have the correct parts and if I should do the rear shock mounts as well.

Thanks. Brian

Last edited by bjhille; 03-12-14 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-17-14, 08:48 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

For my 2005 SC 430, to make the Bilsteins fit in the rear they had to be modified by Bilstein. Plus, I needed the spring mount from the front of the GS Bilstein shock, to fit the rear Bilstein shock. To clarify, the part you need is not the mount that bolts the shock to the body; it is the mount that enables the spring to sit correctly over the shock. The one that was supplied with the rear GS donor shock was too big.
Old 04-05-14, 02:46 PM
bjhille
Rookie

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting the correct mounts for the shocks? That isn't something Lexus would sell if they come with the shocks. Did Jaun help get those for you?

Also, I see you are shopping springs now. Not happy with the setup? I had purchased a set of '04 springs for this project, but now that I see you weren't happy, I'm debating about going Barcardi's route and getting a set of Swift Springs. I really don't want to lower, but doesn't seem like there are any other options.

Have you also considered the F-sport anti-roll bar for the front? I was debating about doing that as well.

Thanks. Brian
Old 04-05-14, 02:54 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Swift Springs the way to go. ebay 215,00 all four that what I use. drop front .8 rear .6

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-05-14 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-06-14, 09:27 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

check out Slvbullet thread sway bar upgrade. real nice job.
Old 04-07-14, 04:11 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bjhille
If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting the correct mounts for the shocks? That isn't something Lexus would sell if they come with the shocks. Did Jaun help get those for you?

Also, I see you are shopping springs now. Not happy with the setup? I had purchased a set of '04 springs for this project, but now that I see you weren't happy, I'm debating about going Barcardi's route and getting a set of Swift Springs. I really don't want to lower, but doesn't seem like there are any other options.

Have you also considered the F-sport anti-roll bar for the front? I was debating about doing that as well.

Thanks. Brian
I am still waiting for a reply from Swift as to whether they make springs for an '05 SC 430 (three emails and counting). They list them for 2002-2004 but curiously, not for an '05. As Bacardi points out, for the price on US ebay, they are a steal. Buying them in Australia, it is about double the US price..............sigh
Old 04-07-14, 07:35 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

town
it the gs 300 shocks fit in front with the stock HD bilsteins shocks then they should fit with the swift springs nothing changed can't see why not. the rears you would need the stock bilstein spring holder that came with the bilstein rear. why did you have change the rear spring part the spring holder? were small or larger base what if you had swift spring at the time? all they do is hold the spring is place,

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-07-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-12-14, 12:44 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by townsville
I am still waiting for a reply from Swift as to whether they make springs for an '05 SC 430 (three emails and counting). They list them for 2002-2004 but curiously, not for an '05. As Bacardi points out, for the price on US ebay, they are a steal. Buying them in Australia, it is about double the US price..............sigh
I have a set of Megan Racing springs BNIB here in Sydney if you are interested.
Old 07-31-14, 08:59 AM
bjhille
Rookie

Not trying to bring up an old thread, but thought I would let every know what I ended up doing for future reference.

I have an 06 SC430 with 95K on it. I replaced the shocks with the shocks Bacardi recommended. The Bliesten shocks and had the rears cut to fit. I did not revalve, just had them cut. I also purchased a set of Swift springs for an 02-04 SC430. Bolted right up with the correct spring buckets. This resulted in exactly the ride I was looking for. It is not plush, much more like the 01 BMW 330i I used to own. Rougher, but not bad. MUCH more sporty, but it leaned a lot in the turns still. So, I continued...

I did the steering rack bushing replacement with parts ordered from Sewell as I noticed the steer wheel shake over bumps much more with the new springs/shocks. These bushings resolved my problem and the car felt more solid. Still need to fix that leaning issue...

I purchased the from sway bar that Bacardi11 recommended in another thread. Specifically, the JDM one from Canada by calling Moe. Nice guys and squared me away. Purchased new front bushings for a GS300 (stock bushings to fit the bar I purchased from Moe) and used the original bushing caps. I also puchased the new rear sway bar kit from Sewell and two new ISF rear links as the hole on the upgraded bar is indeed larger. I ended up having to elongate the holes on the ISF bushing caps as the stock 430 bushing caps wouldn't fit once the bushing was installed on the bar.

The car is absolutely amazing!!! I could not be happier. I do want to be clear...the ride is more harsh than stock, but it's a sporty harsh....not an MGB harsh. It handles like a dream in the corners now. I now longer feel like I'm floating down the road, I'm definately driving it. All in all, I am so glad I spent the money and got this car setup the way I wanted. It's perfect! Only thing left is that pesky steering pretensioner.

Thanks to all for your advise and help. Brian
Old 07-31-14, 10:58 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

bjhille
glad your happy with the setup I love the way I set mine up. when I hear this from you I know I setup my car right.
glad your happy. I told you.

Last edited by bacardi11; 07-31-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-14, 11:19 AM
bjhille
Rookie

I couldn't have done it without you. Additionally the DC Gold speakers in the door and the Polk audio sub worked out great as well. I was happy with the car before, but now it's amazing. It truely should have come from the factory this way!

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-14, 11:47 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to have helpped
Old 07-31-14, 08:03 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

I have the same set up and love it!
Old 07-31-14, 11:18 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

this is the best setup for are cars I agree. I remember we talk to. glad every one that did this setup is happy

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-02-14 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Shock Options