SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 Shock Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 10:36 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shop called said by the end of this week, i'm waiting.
Old 06-17-13, 09:28 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein rears

Originally Posted by bacardi11
you can use the bilsteins front and rears. must order gs 300 shocks hd. rears must be cut 11/4" an your good to go. I use the bilstein sports but I did much more work to them. fronts reduced from 30% to 10% and revalved for the 430sc. rears reduced from 30% to 10% revalved for the 430sc, cut rears 11/4. you don't need to do what I did. get bilstein hd fronts install, rears must cut 11/4 from valve body install. bilstein will cut them for you just send them to them an your good to go. I a happy camper with them. you will have to change the springs, I use Swift Springs for the 05 drop front .8 and .6 rear. must use 05 springs.
Hi Bacardi, I took your advice and had Bilstein USA modify the rears. The fronts were installed, no probs. However, the installer couldn't fit the rears as the bottom retaining ring supplied with the rear GS300 Bilstein, do not fit the sc 430. The installer said that I needed to obtain the bottom retaining ring for the rears, as ones that are the same size as the front shock retainers. Did you encounter this problem ? I assume I simply need to order two gs300 front shock retainers ? Help!
Old 06-17-13, 09:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by townsville
Hi Bacardi, I took your advice and had Bilstein USA modify the rears. The fronts were installed, no probs. However, the installer couldn't fit the rears as the bottom retaining ring supplied with the rear GS300 Bilstein, do not fit the sc 430. The installer said that I needed to obtain the bottom retaining ring for the rears, as ones that are the same size as the front shock retainers. Did you encounter this problem ? I assume I simply need to order two gs300 front shock retainers ? Help!
...hey towns, sorry to hear that issue. I have the Bilsteins installed on the rear of my 2002 also, but I didn't have them modified & had no issues bolting them up. What year is your vehicle ???
Old 06-18-13, 02:47 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

hi towns
I had no problems also. did you send the retainer to them also? I did not sent the retainers to them just the shocks. maybe they sent you back the wrong retainers back. call them and let them know. because they do fit and work.
Old 06-18-13, 06:04 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement shocks for sc 430

Originally Posted by bacardi11
he can use the 02-04 stock springs. I went with swift springs.
Hey Bacardi (and other sc430 members), Following your advice, I went for Bilstein all-round. As you say, if you use shocks for a 1998-2005 Lexus GS 300, the fronts will bolt up to the sc 430 with no probs. However, I hit a snag with the rear shocks. While Bilstein cut them to fit (size wise), as the donor shocks are from a GS300, the spring bottom retaining ring that comes with the donor GS 300 Bilstein does not fit the 2005 sc430 spring. It is way too big. Presumably, the rear GS 300 spring is a larger diameter.

The correct size spring retaining ring for the rear Bilstein is the one that comes with the front Bilstein. I am now on the hunt to purchase the two front spring retaining rings as a separate item. Any hints/tips appreciated.
The front shock part number (USA) is 24-027434 for a 1998-2005 Lexus GS 300

. Hopefully the rings suit a number of Bilsteins and are available. The process of custom fitting can test you, but I want the Bilstein experience !

regards
Old 06-18-13, 06:12 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey towns, sorry to hear that issue. I have the Bilsteins installed on the rear of my 2002 also, but I didn't have them modified & had no issues bolting them up. What year is your vehicle ???
I have a 2005. I have emailed Juan Alvarez from Bilstein USA who has been EXTREMELY helpful with this project. 'Hopefully all will be sorted. The installer said that the spring mounting ring from the original kyb rear shock could not be used with the Bilstein rear shock (?)
Old 06-18-13, 06:30 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

towns
you use the retainer that come with the bilstein shocks your 05 springs did not change till 06
towns
I ues the Swift Springs from 01 to 05 and fit perfect. I payed 214.00 for all 4 springs and they fit.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-18-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 06:14 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Very timely thread -- my 06 may be in the same situation.

Does the answer to "what replacement shock" depend on what you are trying to achieve? Some have mod the SC into more of a performance racer.

I'm in the "plush and comfortable ride" camp. Assuming that I don't want to get gouged for OEM shocks and will install myself, what recommendation?
JohnnyCake, If you are in the plush and comfortable ride camp, I would opt for (possibly) revalved Bilsteins. I have had Koni, Monroe, KYB, etc etc Bilsteins tend to 'tame' a vehicle and stop it leaping sideways and into the stratosphere just because a ripple in the road is encountered....
Old 06-24-13, 12:51 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the TEIN CS in my SC, and the ride was fantastic. I had them set at 4 on a scale of 16 settings.

I hindsight, I would have done two things differently: 1) put on the electronic controller (I had drilled two small holes in the trunk liner to slide in a long 3mm allen wrench to make adjustments) and 2) raised them up to stock height. From the factory, they drop the car just over 1/2 inch. At such a low damping setting, I would occasionally bottom the shocks out.
Old 07-01-13, 12:58 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyb
I had the TEIN CS in my SC, and the ride was fantastic. I had them set at 4 on a scale of 16 settings.

I hindsight, I would have done two things differently: 1) put on the electronic controller (I had drilled two small holes in the trunk liner to slide in a long 3mm allen wrench to make adjustments) and 2) raised them up to stock height. From the factory, they drop the car just over 1/2 inch. At such a low damping setting, I would occasionally bottom the shocks out.
Hello, Im considering tein comfort sport as well. My sc has 110k miles and I feel the shock absorption is already diminished and rough. Did the tein CS make your ride softer? My goal is a softer ride, and absolutely not stiffer. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 11-10-13, 07:15 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by townsville
I have a 2005. I have emailed Juan Alvarez from Bilstein USA who has been EXTREMELY helpful with this project. 'Hopefully all will be sorted. The installer said that the spring mounting ring from the original kyb rear shock could not be used with the Bilstein rear shock (?)
Can you send a pm with Juan's email address?
Old 12-25-13, 07:44 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please PM me Juan's address?

Also, can the spring retainer from the rear shocks be used if I purchase stock 04 springs or is that something else I need to get? Does blistein sell the retainers directly?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-14, 03:39 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Can you send a pm with Juan's email address?
Juan.M.Alvarez@thyssenkrupp.com
Old 01-01-14, 03:43 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bjhille
Can someone please PM me Juan's address?

Also, can the spring retainer from the rear shocks be used if I purchase stock 04 springs or is that something else I need to get? Does blistein sell the retainers directly?

Thanks.
Juan.M.Alvarez@thyssenkrupp.com

All I know is that the spring retainers that came with the donor GS shocks did not fit the rear of my 2005. I had to use the same spring retainers from the front GS donor shocks. Interestingly, Bacardi, who has fitted Bilsteins to his model, did not strike this problem. Go figure..............good luck
Old 01-01-14, 06:11 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info towns...

Last question, I am to have the rears shortened by 11/4 or one and a quarter inches, right?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2006 Shock Options