SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bluetooth Streaming Audio on a Budget

Old 07-16-15, 10:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Here's the link to the DIY from Bob! Time to upgrade!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-controls.html
Old 11-18-15, 08:08 AM
1983canes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you close ashtray ?

Originally Posted by jasone36
Hi,

Many of you are aware of the various elaborate ways to add Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) and Bluetooth Voice to the SC430. Some of these methods involve tearing apart the center console, removing the radio unit, feeding cables, buying expensive Vaistech equipment, and possibly paying for the professional installation.

However, I now present to you the most simple and inexpensive method.

First you purchase a Griffin Technology BlueTrip bluetooth adapter for $60 from Amazon. This adapter is tiny and fits in the cigarette lighter socket. This adapter provides you streaming bluetooth audio from your smarphone (iDevice, Android, BlackBerry) and also it provides you bluetooth voice capability since it has a microphone and accept/deny call button built in.

Next, you buy a Cassette-to-Auxiliary adapter (typically $1 - $5, I got mine at the dollar store LOL). Finally, you plug the adapter into the BlueTrip device. That's it. You're done. TOTAL COST: $61

This configuration allows you to close the lid (cover) over the radio/audio system, and to close the cover over the ashtray, which makes the setup nearly invisible with both lids closed.

The streaming audio quality on the BlueTrip seems excellent (but I'm no audiophile). The voice calling quality is reasonably acceptable, but certainly not high definition (who needs high-def during a phone conversation anyway?)

The only trouble I've had with the voice calling is when I would be driving at highway speeds (80 - 90 miles per hour) with the roof down, in this case my voice sounded somewhat muffled. With the roof up, the voice quality is always good enough for a phone call.

While BlueTrip is not the most elaborate or eloquent solution to add bluetooth audio streaming and voice calling to the SC430, it is certainly the cleanest (no visible wires, unless your keep the radio door open) and definitely the least expensive ($61).
Jasone36, how do you close the astray lid and still play? From the pics I have seen of the bluetrip, the 3.5 jack input is on the top of the device. Is the jack plus the bluetrip length too long to fit in the lighter hole?
Old 11-18-15, 10:56 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

This solution works fairly well, the Bluetooth is built into the cassette adapter, just remember to take the little piece of tape off the cassette head.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/det...pter-bluetooth
Old 11-18-15, 11:12 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I used an adapter from RadioShack which turns the cable 90 degrees... thus it fits perfectly, and the ash tray lid door closes, similar to what's in the picture.

I've had this exact same setup running since I posted the original message, and no issues yet.

However, I found that the LATEST version of this specific bluetooth adapter dropped the microphone... so you can't use it for a speakerphone any more, unless you find the old version.

best of luck

Originally Posted by 1983canes
Jasone36, how do you close the astray lid and still play? From the pics I have seen of the bluetrip, the 3.5 jack input is on the top of the device. Is the jack plus the bluetrip length too long to fit in the lighter hole?
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Streaming Audio on a Budget-stereo-3-5mm-male-to-right-angle-3-5mm-female-adapter-1.jpg  
Old 11-18-15, 01:47 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, that bluetooth casette adapter is pretty cool! A great idea for our cars. I just wonder about the quality and if it allows your to forward or reverse tracks in a playlist via the car's steering and radio controls?
Old 11-18-15, 04:42 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Wow, that bluetooth casette adapter is pretty cool! A great idea for our cars. I just wonder about the quality and if it allows your to forward or reverse tracks in a playlist via the car's steering and radio controls?
Sound is pretty good, not CD quality but I feel it's good trade-off to stream music wireless from your iPhone (or other Bluetooth mobile device) for $20 and no installation hassle or unsightly cables.

Just insert the cassette, pair Bluetooth, select tape, close your audio door, and you're good to go. Apps and music selection is all driven from your iPhone.

One thing though, the Bluetooth cassette adapter only lasts for about 4-5 hours before needing a recharge. I read of a workaround if you drive a lot where you have two cassette adapters, one on charge and one playing so you just swap them when the battery runs down. I don't spend much time in the car so I just recharge mine every few days and it's been fine.
Old 11-18-15, 09:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

My Bluetooth from the Nav works fine. I just bough the cassette adapter for the music from the phone.
Total investment: 6 bucks.
Old 11-19-15, 10:46 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ogjohnsmit
Sound is pretty good, not CD quality but I feel it's good trade-off to stream music wireless from your iPhone (or other Bluetooth mobile device) for $20 and no installation hassle or unsightly cables.

Just insert the cassette, pair Bluetooth, select tape, close your audio door, and you're good to go. Apps and music selection is all driven from your iPhone.

One thing though, the Bluetooth cassette adapter only lasts for about 4-5 hours before needing a recharge. I read of a workaround if you drive a lot where you have two cassette adapters, one on charge and one playing so you just swap them when the battery runs down. I don't spend much time in the car so I just recharge mine every few days and it's been fine.
Can't you just hook up a power line from the cigarette lighter outlet to power the cassette adapter? (You'll likely need the proper adapter to do that though.) Then, no recharging is necessary.
Old 11-21-15, 08:37 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by Harold57
Can't you just hook up a power line from the cigarette lighter outlet to power the cassette adapter? (You'll likely need the proper adapter to do that though.) Then, no recharging is necessary.
Not while the unit is playing, the way the adapter sits in the player will not allow, the cassette adapter has to be removed to recharge but can be recharged from cigarette lighter.
Old 11-26-15, 04:59 AM
1983canes
Driver School Candidate

Default excellent

Jasone36, thanks for your hack on the griffin and monster cassette. I am not very handy and was still able to do this all by myself. I no longer see any wires and have an inexpensive Bluetooth solution!!!!
Old 11-27-15, 07:36 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad it worked for you, 1983canes.

I still use my setup to this day, works 100%.

The audio quality on the mic is so-so, but I can live with that, at this price point.
Old 09-16-18, 07:43 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Bought this to try in my parents 2007 Toyota Sequoia. Works great and should be a perfect fit for the SC430. Only found at O'Reilly. $40. Works great. Can access "Ok Google" or "Hey Siri" commands at the press of a button (which I did not permanently mount bc it is to be used in the Sequoia). Call quality is decent, definately not good enough for top down driving. Autoshut off after three minutes so saves battery life. Charges via micro USB. Got about 5 hours on a single charge. Wish they made one that would auto charge during play (like a kinetic charge) as the cassette cant be charged while in use. Def an awesome little device since the button gives all access to Ok Google call/text, music access via Pandora, TuneIn, etc, and so much more. 9/10 in my book.

Old 09-16-18, 11:12 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Bought this to try in my parents 2007 Toyota Sequoia. Works great and should be a perfect fit for the SC430. Only found at O'Reilly. $40. Works great. Can access "Ok Google" or "Hey Siri" commands at the press of a button (which I did not permanently mount bc it is to be used in the Sequoia). Call quality is decent, definately not good enough for top down driving. Autoshut off after three minutes so saves battery life. Charges via micro USB. Got about 5 hours on a single charge. Wish they made one that would auto charge during play (like a kinetic charge) as the cassette cant be charged while in use. Def an awesome little device since the button gives all access to Ok Google call/text, music access via Pandora, TuneIn, etc, and so much more. 9/10 in my book.

.....that's the same unit that I've been using for a couple of months & it's been good for me also. I bought mine @ Best Buy, but don't hold me to this, I think I paid about $30 there