SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Upgrade NAV, radio and add backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 09:10 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade NAV, radio and add backup camera

Has anyone in Michigan found an installer for adding the backup camera and upgrading NAV and radio? The Lexus dealership was no help.

I don't listen to the radio very much; mostly I listen to books and music on my iPhone.
Currently I have the cassette tape case with cord to plug into my iPhone but the sound quality is very bad. (I think all my OEM speakers work just fine so I'd like to keep those.)

I have been searching this site hoping to find a list of components I could round up to take to the installer, once I find one.

Can anyone list the components that I will need to accomplish this upgrade? On some older posts a Pioneer radio AVH-P440BH and a Kenwood CM301backup camera was suggested. Are these still current or is there something better? Will the backup camera display on the OEM Nav display or do I need to buy a new NAV unit? If so, what NAV unit works best? I would like to continue to use the steering wheel radio controls for the state of the art radio upgrade too. I think I need the AXXESS ASWC for that, unless there's a newer part/part number.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but maybe someone kept a list of their components when they did the upgrade themselves. I've read too many threads and now I'm totally confused as to where to start.

I did call some local car stereo shops, but they want to push the products they carry. And they don't have the dash/radio faceplate kit for a 2004 SC 430. I can't find it now, but I think I read a post where someone mentioned a kit available and it works with the Pioneer AVH-P440BH. Do I need that as well?

Here's hoping someone as all the answers...............thanks.
Old 05-21-13, 10:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, I'm in the processing of doing some work to mine. I wanted to keep the factory headunit b'c i really like the metal look that matches the Center Console. I decided to add Video capability through Naviks, which allows for the addition of a back up camera also. As for the sound input I had two choices: either Vais SL2U or a hard wired FM modulator that isolates the stereo antennae loop, iTranzit by iSimple. I chose the FM modulator based on price and to avoid messing with the wiring harness on the back of the headunit. It also allows play and charge from any iPod device, with some minor modification of the harness. I also chose to add a Bluetooth receiver passthrough by Arion/Eagletech which allowed me to play amazing quality music through my phone while giving me control of track selection and volume from one easy remote control just a little larger than a quarter which I will install near the stereo to keep the classy look of the center console. I'm working on my install this weekend, but I'm hoping to have my post updated really soon...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-naviks.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-21-13 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 04:49 AM
430SILVER
Rookie

Shawn, you are adding a media player. What is it and what is it do? Will it replace your OEM NAV screen in the dash?

Do all back up camera's need a separate new DVD player added to make the camera work?

Thanks for you link to your post, I have been reading it a understand a little of what you are doing. I'm not sure I need the bluetooth capabilities. I don't mind plugging in with a cable if it simplifies the install. Will the steering controls work if I use a cable connect for my iPhone?
Old 05-22-13, 09:15 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey 430Silver, so the media player will allow me to play pretty much any type of media or movie file, or even look at pictures on the factory DVD NAV screen. I didn't want to mess with the factory screen or add a new screen so this was the best option for me. I use media types of files for movies (.avi, mpeg, etc) rather than actual DVD's. I have an external 2TB hard drive with nearly 600 movies on it, which connects to the media player by USB. Much easier than carrying 600 DVD's.

As for the back up camera; no matter what, you will need some type of video interface unit that will plug into the stock DVD player in the trunk to act as a converter for the input video. I selected to use Naviks with a custom made harness for the SC430. It allows for two inputs, one will be from the backup camera which automatically displays on the screen when in reverse and another (my media player in this instance) that will play when a toggle switch is turned on. Two birds with one stone (back up camera + movies). You can find it on Ebay easily. It's not a DVD player just a converter box that allows for 2 new video inputs that will be show on the factory display on the dash.

As for the sound, the easiest thing to do it to use a tape adapter and plug it into whatever source you want to hear. I wanted more of an integration so I'm going to connect something to the back of the headunit (radio). From my understanding, none of the aftermarket audio solutions will allow the steering controls to work and keep the factory headunit to toggle the auxiliary audio (only volume up and down will function). That's why I opted to get the little Arion Bluetooth Adapter. It acts as a remote just like that of the steering wheel while allowing Bluetooth integration. Seemed like the perfect solution for me for only $40 from Walmart.com. Anyway, hope this answers some of your questions I'm hoping to have the full install done this weekend, and photos up asap.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-22-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-22-13, 09:03 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Yes, you've answered my questions and I'm following your install too. I'm thinking more about getting the bluetooth as well.
Old 05-23-13, 03:38 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

I lucked out today and found a “Car Tunes” shop/installation center that will get me almost everything I wanted.

I won’t have steering wheel controls, but I will have a remote control.

Total $1450

They had to order the faceplate adaptor, so I’m looking at next week for the installation.

INEW927HD Alpine 7” NAV w/ HD and BT $888
TYTO01 Metra AMP $79
MVA-11FB Beat-Sonic face plate kit $50
HCEC104 Alpine rear view camera $89
TR7 PAC Trigger $25
Installation $250

I'll post a picture when it's done.