SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

chrome tail light frames

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 05:12 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default chrome tail light frames

I have seen these on line for 80.00 and up I think they were JDM products. This company says they have had no fitment problems cost is 31.00 shipped. They are chrome abs plastic and they have a guarantee. I think Iam going to buy it if I don't like them no big deal small investment.

I would like opinions as to if its cheesy looking My car is a black 2005 PB I thought the chrome might brighten it up since all of the lexus logos are black pearl oem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290768436835...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Last edited by mrblister; 05-21-13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 06:18 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have seen these on line for 80.00 and up I think they were JDM products. This company says they have had no fitment problems cost is 31.00 shipped. They are chrome abs plastic and they have a guarantee. I think Iam going to buy it if I don't like them no big deal small investment.

I would like opinions as to if its cheesy looking My car is a black 2005 PB I thought the chrome might brighten it up since all of the lexus logos are black pearl oem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290768436835...S:1123&vxp=mtr
I highly suggest you go for it. You can tell about the quality of the chrome plating in person. For a Black car, it will be outstanding.

I can see it now!
Old 05-21-13, 07:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm excited to see the results too!
Old 05-21-13, 07:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Well I ordered it will have by may 28 th. Its far less money then JDM brand $ 95.00 ouch . I will post pics of them in place but I wont glue them down until I show the group how they look.
Old 05-21-13, 09:34 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to see them on your car as well. I had to go in the garage to look at my car to imagine the chrome look. I think I'll like it.
Old 05-22-13, 08:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Well I ordered it will have by may 28 th. Its far less money then JDM brand $ 95.00 ouch . I will post pics of them in place but I wont glue them down until I show the group how they look.
Good luck and thanks for being our trial...
Old 05-22-13, 09:07 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked under Google Images and am not sure it's the look I would like. It separates the top and bottom of the back tail light which may look a bit awkward or may be too much chrome. However, it may look good on black SC, still not sure. Many tail lights on many cars, like BMW's have tail lights that are both on back quarter panels and are also attached on the trunk lids with no chrome separation. I'm looking forward to the photos, the jury is still out. I also wonder how the head lights would look with this trim.

Last edited by sixonemale; 05-22-13 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-22-13, 09:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I believe that the frames are one piece not two and the 3 m tape is on the inside of the middle section. The JDM
brand does look like two pieces. I will see when I see it. I will just lay in place take pics and post before I glue on
It might be ok on mine since its black .
Old 05-22-13, 11:13 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe that the frames are one piece not two and the 3 m tape is on the inside of the middle section. The JDM
brand does look like two pieces. I will see when I see it. I will just lay in place take pics and post before I glue on
It might be ok on mine since its black .
They may look good on your SC, looking forward to seeing the photos. The frame is one piece, no doubt, but what I'm saying is that the back tail light is partially on the trunk lid and partially on the back quarter panel. Therefore, it will take one frame for the top portion of the tail light and one frame for the bottom portion, resulting in chrome trim dividing the top and bottom half of the entire tail light.

The photo below from Google images shows what they would look like on a red SC.
Attached Thumbnails chrome tail light frames-chrome-tail-light-frames.jpg  

Last edited by sixonemale; 05-23-13 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-22-13, 01:53 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP wanted to know if it would look "cheesy". IMHO Yes it would. Understated = elegant and classy. Chrome is not classy. You have a beautiful, understated 2005 PB, why screw it up with more chrome?
Old 05-22-13, 06:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by harleydjce
The OP wanted to know if it would look "cheesy". IMHO Yes it would. Understated = elegant and classy. Chrome is not classy. You have a beautiful, understated 2005 PB, why screw it up with more chrome?
In a sense I agree with you but my car has no chrome on it in the rear. it is all stock and the lexus logo all around the car are black pearl . So it really is very very understated. The fact that the interior is pimento red which pops [ pics of the interior always look orange not the red they actually are ] So the only chrome is on the front hood trim edge. The lights are all blacked out OEM regural non PB in my year were chromed. Mine are black . This is why I think that the addition of the rear chrome tail light frames may not be over the top. Now seeing my car do you still have the same opinion.
Attached Thumbnails chrome tail light frames-img_0006.jpg   chrome tail light frames-img_0008.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 06:31 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen pics of it on SC430. Too bling bling to me, at least for black cars.
Old 05-22-13, 08:57 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

Mrblister I like really your red stripe. Was it an option when you bought the car? Do you have any closeup pictures of the stripe?
Old 05-22-13, 09:55 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Its red stripe tape thin stripe and thicker stripe that you line up and lay it down at the same time its almost fool proof then press it down and then lift off the clear tape and you have perfect high gloss looks like paint perfectly spaced. It can be removed in the future easy enough to lay down another color. You can get it at all auto supply stores. I got mine at pep boys they have all colors. I use it on my bikes as well

I will take a photo of it Saturday when I get to my garage
Old 05-23-13, 04:22 AM
430SILVER
Rookie

Hijack continues..........

Red was a very good choice for your car. I like that it's wide too.

I've only had my SC a couple of months and was thinking of adding a stripe as well. I just couldn't figure out what line of the car to follow. Yours answers that question.

What color do you think I should get for my silver SC?

Quick Reply: chrome tail light frames