SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

door soundproofing and speaker change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 07:42 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default door soundproofing and speaker change

Thought I would post up some pics. I believe very strongly in door soundproofing. It really helps the performance of the door speakers as it really seals up the door and removes any "tinny" shakes.
Attached Thumbnails door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7234.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_6640.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7229.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7230.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7235.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
joemg (09-14-19)
Old 05-16-13, 07:46 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Default more pics

As you see, I put soundproofing inside the door over everything possible, but not covering the bottom drain.

Also replace the old plastic piece with full proofing on the door.

As I had the interior out, I also did soundproofing under the entire car.

Soundproofing is from Lowes and is sold for window installation, it is thinner than the professional stuff, but 1/10 the cost. Learned that trick from some custom car guys. $75 did the entire car and both doors.
Attached Thumbnails door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7231.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7233.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_6639.jpg  
Old 05-16-13, 08:48 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know the results. I'd certainly do this if I happened to have a gutted interior!!!
Old 05-16-13, 06:24 PM
locoli
Driver School Candidate

wow
how do those rockford fosgate sound?
Old 05-16-13, 09:01 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Looking good!
Old 05-17-13, 03:05 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Awesome project. I was planning on dyna-matting my doors too and was holding off since proper insulation is so expensive. Glad you found an alternative. I'm going to have to give it a try too. Please let us know how it sounds and how those RF Punch sound. I'm a RF man, all the way. Also, could you possibly show what you mean about the "drain." Not sure if you meant in the door or on the interior chassis, but maybe flagging it on a photo would be helpful. I want to make sure I don't make the mistake of blocking it also. Thanks.
Old 05-18-13, 06:48 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Also, Fj40ih8mud. are you going to use to replace the back seat speakers? If so, with what? I tried to find an acceptable 4" or 5.25" from RF that runs 8ohm. Nada.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-18-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 11:26 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Also, Fj40ih8mud. are you going to use to replace the back seat speakers? If so, with what? I tried to find an acceptable 4" or 5.25" from RF that runs 8ohm. Nada.
...hey Shawn I replaced my backseat speakers with Boston Acoustic RX-47's(4in) & the front doors with Boston Acoustic SX-95's(6x9)...both are 4ohm speakers. I've been running them for about 3yrs without any issues. Also since you're a Rockford fan... I'm running a Rockford P2 10in woofer outback, with a Rockford Prime R-1 Mono amp....with plenty of bass
Old 05-19-13, 01:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Does anyone know the verified maximum mounting depths and maximum magnet diameter of the speakers in the door (specifically the woofer), the backseat, and the rear subwoofer? I've read through many threads and there's a few discrepancies between members on these measurements. Although, many do discuss the problem with magnet diameter, especially with the sub. (Anyone know a work around for this problem?) I've found lots of approximations and/or educated guesses. Any help would be appreciated so I can decide if I need to make specialized mounts. Thanks.
Old 05-19-13, 01:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Does anyone know the verified maximum mounting depths and maximum magnet diameter of the speakers in the door (specifically the woofer), the backseat, and the rear subwoofer? I've read through many threads and there's a few discrepancies between members on these measurements. Although, many do discuss the problem with magnet diameter, especially with the sub. (Anyone know a work around for this problem?) I've found lots of approximations and/or educated guesses. Any help would be appreciated so I can decide if I need to make specialized mounts. Thanks.
..I'm not sure of the max mounting depths on any of them(speaker holes). I have seen different measurements also. I do know that all my speakers fit in the factory holes with out any modifications EXCEPT the woofer. My woofer is in a box, located inside the trunk. Most of the magnets on the newer woofers are too large for the factory hole. Many of the members that have used the factory woofer placement, have made some type of adapter ring to give the woofer/magnet extra space to fit
Old 05-19-13, 02:48 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I use the dc gold fronts. I think 31/4 max check dc gold for there max. I use the 8" polk db 840 sub with focal1 amp.
Old 05-20-13, 09:45 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Awesome project. I was planning on dyna-matting my doors too and was holding off since proper insulation is so expensive. Glad you found an alternative. I'm going to have to give it a try too. Please let us know how it sounds and how those RF Punch sound. I'm a RF man, all the way. Also, could you possibly show what you mean about the "drain." Not sure if you meant in the door or on the interior chassis, but maybe flagging it on a photo would be helpful. I want to make sure I don't make the mistake of blocking it also. Thanks.
First off, if you don't like bass, don't buy RF speakers. To me they are awesome. FOO sounds great now.

In regards to the drain, at the bottom of every door there are drain channels that let out any moisture that found its way inside the door. You need to keep those open to let the water out. No cancer(rust) please!
Old 05-20-13, 09:48 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Call (yes it is old fashioned) but call Crutchfield. They had the exact depth that the speakers could be in their database. When you are talking maximum, there is always maximum unmodified metal, and maximum with cutting metal, so keep that in mind. For depth, you typically can add 5mm with some shimming out, so think about that too.
Old 05-29-13, 10:35 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Soundproofing is unbelievable. When the top is up, the cabin is so much quieter. This was expected. The surprise was with the top down, how much quieter it still was.

RF speakers are great, but I have to fix that rear sub. Anyone with suggestions without using an extra amp?
Old 05-29-13, 11:36 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

fj40
I know of no one that makes a 16 ohm sub speaker other then the stock one, that is why I use the Focal1 amp with Polk db 840 8" speaker.

'

'

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-29-13 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: door soundproofing and speaker change