SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS

Old 05-09-13, 04:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Red face DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS

So I know there are tons of threads out there about this topic, but I have chosen to modify my install slightly. I know that many that choose to install a DVD player into the factory DVD interface have usually gone with NavTool. Since I've noticed and read that NavTool has been removed from this forum as a sponsor, I've chosen another route. I am going to try another company I found, called NAVIKS for the plug and play video integration in my 2002 SC430, and will also be adding a media player rather than a DVD player. As more details start to solidify, I will update this thread. Currently I have the media player, Asus O!Play Mini, which works with all media types including external hard drives up to 2TB and thumb drives and actually runs on a 12V DC car adapter (I bought from Radio Shack). I've been warned about the heat dissipation and will take that into account in my install. I've ordered the NAVIKS unit from New York and it's in transit. The NAVIKS installation seems pretty straight forward with full, easy to understand, diagrammed instructions. It supposedly is simple plug and play with the SC430 specific harness and minimal wire tapping for the power and ground to the unit. The unit also allows for an back up camera, but since I don't have one, I will be omitting this step (or adding it later). Hope I sparked some interest, and any comments or words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-09-13, 09:28 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I know there are tons of threads out there about this topic, but I have chosen to modify my install slightly. I know that many that choose to install a DVD player into the factory DVD interface have usually gone with NavTool. Since I've noticed and read that NavTool has been removed from this forum as a sponsor, I've chosen another route. I am going to try another company I found, called NAVIKS for the plug and play video integration in my 2002 SC430, and will also be adding a media player rather than a DVD player. As more details start to solidify, I will update this thread. Currently I have the media player, Asus O!Play Mini, which works with all media types including external hard drives up to 2TB and thumb drives and actually runs on a 12V DC car adapter (I bought from Radio Shack). I've been warned about the heat dissipation and will take that into account in my install. I've ordered the NAVIKS unit from New York and it's in transit. The NAVIKS installation seems pretty straight forward with full, easy to understand, diagrammed instructions. It supposedly is simple plug and play with the SC430 specific harness and minimal wire tapping for the power and ground to the unit. The unit also allows for an back up camera, but since I don't have one, I will be omitting this step (or adding it later). Hope I sparked some interest, and any comments or words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
..I say good luck & go for it !!!...I've been thinking about doing this mod in the future,but it's on a long list of others...lol
Old 05-10-13, 05:05 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

How does the NAVIKS differ from the NAVTOOL?
Old 05-10-13, 04:07 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
How does the NAVIKS differ from the NAVTOOL?
Well I have yet to install it, but once I receive it and try it out I will definitely write a full review with photos. I believe it does have the same functional capabilities as NavTool. To be honest though, the main deciding factor for me in this instance was the price. I could not justify the retail price of NavTool at $400, and thus I decided to give NAVIKS a try. Plus, upon contacting them to get more info on the product, they were extremely eager to help me with whatever questions I had. Responses within hours. (Just a side note, I mention this b'c I'm going through a Better Business Bureau battle with Rocketfish Electronics over a surge protector that caught fire and burned out my laptop. Worst customer service, ever.) Anyway, I'm excited about this DVDNAV project.
Old 05-10-13, 06:51 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shawn,

Navtool sells their unit for $209 directly on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-10-Lexus-SC-Navigation-Video-Converter-Add-DVD-NAV-TV-Rear-Back-Up-Camera-/281015428713?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item416dd32669&vxp=mtr
Jr
Old 05-10-13, 08:20 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Hmm that is true, FlyCT. Mind blown. Haha. Well, I'm still going to stick it out with NAVIKS, especially since they were so helpful on all my questions and concerns before ordering, and still cheaper than NavTool in the end. Especially, with all the mods I have lined up, every cent counts. Next project: Vais SL2U. Not a cheap adventure either. Guess, we'll just see how it turns out and compare after. Thanks for the input. :-)
Old 05-11-13, 06:59 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a VAIS SL2U installed in both of my SC430s. I also purchased a blackberry Bluetooth gateway for each. I use pandora radio from my iPhone to steam music to the cars via bluetooth and never use FM radio.

This is a great combination.

I had the local Best Buy store install the SL2U for $50.

One car came with a SL2Up which had an iPod 30 pin flat connector but no aux audio or RCA input. It had the advantage of eliminating having to push the "I Agree" screen on the Nav. I much prefer the Bluetooth input rather than having to connect my iPhone via cable.

JR
Old 05-11-13, 11:12 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I had a VAIS SL2U installed in both of my SC430s. I also purchased a blackberry Bluetooth gateway for each. I use pandora radio from my iPhone to steam music to the cars via bluetooth and never use FM radio.

This is a great combination.

I had the local Best Buy store install the SL2U for $50.

One car came with a SL2Up which had an iPod 30 pin flat connector but no aux audio or RCA input. It had the advantage of eliminating having to push the "I Agree" screen on the Nav. I much prefer the Bluetooth input rather than having to connect my iPhone via cable.

JR
Well currently my plan is to finish with this NAVIKS install with the Asus Oplay Media Player and then the split an auxiliary input into the headunit. 1st input will go through an Eagle Tech Bluetooth adapter with mic passthrough to give a true auxiliary input for the media player audio. 2nd input will allow charging and play of an Ipod through a 30pin connector. I'm actually leaning away from Vais SL2u now. I found another option that might fit my needs more, iSimple Tranzit IS77. Check it out and tell me what you all think. Lots of good reviews. There is also an iSimple Tranzit Blu (Bluetooth), but it does not have an auxiliary input so it won't work with my media player (which I would rather have hard wired for better quality and no sound lag when playing video). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-11-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 10:57 PM
aaron0815
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking forward to see the result!
Old 05-16-13, 07:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Here's my drawrrrring of the proposed wiring plan... All the products arrived today, so I will post photos of them soon.

1) It seems that iSimple changed the type of input connectors on the IS77, the hard wired adjustable gain FM modulator with dual inputs (30pin play and charge Ipod connector and 3.5mm aux) from RCA inputs to some type of 3 pin lock connector. I spent the majority of afternoon going to car stereo installation, computer repair, home improvement, and security shops looking for it. Finally got lucky and found a compatible Y connector at the RC Hobby Shop (Traxxas Servo Y Connector- TRA 2046-$4). Tested it for continuity and voltage and seems to work. So far so good.

2) The NAVIKS is looking like a pretty simple plug and play install with the vehicle specific harness. It will require a piggyback wire connection on any reverse lamp lead to serve as a toggle switch and 2 piggybacks on the OEM Nav harness for power and ground; but doesn't seem like it will be too difficult since they've included the location and wire colors in the directions. Currently I don't have a back up camera but plan to make the connections in case I choose to add one in the future. The unit also has an adjustable brightness control which seems like a good option.

3) The Asus O!play Mini Media player has played every media file type I've thrown at it so far. Even has enough power to run my 2TB external hard drive off a 12volt DC cigarette adapter. It has RCA outputs, HDMI Out, SD/Media Card Input, and USB 2.0 input. It also has a remote which is nice for navigating screen menus on whatever media you decide to play from.

4) The EagleTech/Arion Bluetooth Receiver is awesome! Allows me to play music through a 3.5mm input as a passthrough when powered off (which will connect to the media player), and also allows for Bluetooth streaming from any Bluetooth device into the same output. I'm using my Android phone and the greatest feature is that the little adapter allows you to change track, volume, play and pause all from a this little remote. Never even have to take the phone out of my pocket. In addition it also allows for Bluetooth phone protocol service so you can make and receive calls directly on the adapter since it has a mic. I can also use voice dialing. Great phone quality too. It has a microUSB port for charging and 6 hours constant use battery life (I've been running it all day playing music).

Running project total: $333. Well that's it for now. More to come soon as I do the install over the next week. Thanks for reading, everyone. Finger's crossed on my first project..

>>>UPDATE: please see post #15

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-22-13 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-17-13, 08:03 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
2) The NAVIKS is looking like a pretty simple plug and play install with the vehicle specific harness. It will require a piggyback wire connection on any reverse lamp lead to serve as a toggle switch and 2 piggybacks on the OEM Nav harness for power and ground; but doesn't seem like it will be too difficult since they've included the location and wire colors in the directions. Currently I don't have a back up camera but plan to make the connections in case I choose to add one in the future. The unit also has an adjustable brightness control which seems like a good option.
If the NAVIKS works anything like the NavTool, if you hook up reverse-sense wire but don't have a backup camera, your nav screen will go black/blank when the car is in reverse. This overrides even the factory navigation map display.

Just FYI.

You could wire it up with a quick connector on the reverse-sense lead, and leave it disconnected for now. That way, if/when you add in a backup camera, you just have to plug the connectors together.
Old 05-17-13, 09:23 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Habious
If the NAVIKS works anything like the NavTool, if you hook up reverse-sense wire but don't have a backup camera, your nav screen will go black/blank when the car is in reverse. This overrides even the factory navigation map display.

Just FYI.

You could wire it up with a quick connector on the reverse-sense lead, and leave it disconnected for now. That way, if/when you add in a backup camera, you just have to plug the connectors together.
Good idea! I see what exactly you mean. Thanks.
Old 05-17-13, 07:57 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

The Gear...
Attached Thumbnails DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_115021.jpg   DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_115054.jpg   DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_120054.jpg   DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_120140.jpg   DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_184552.jpg  

Old 05-17-13, 07:59 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Talking

Attached Thumbnails DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_190010.jpg   DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-img_20130516_190011.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 02:54 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I got the Naviks installed and it is awesome! I'm no electrical engineer or cyborg from the future, but even I was able to install the unit on my own (with some minor assistance from a friend), so anyone should be able to do it. It was really simple with the included directions. I will say that I did have to call tech support about one thing: there was a white wire that I wasn't sure what to connect to. Called them and got an answer immediately from a tech. Apparently the white wire is for Volvo's and isn't needed in our SC430's. Tested it out with the Media Player and worked perfectly. Normal navigation still works when the toggle switch is flipped, and putting the car in reverse kicked it into backup camera mode. I hooked all the connections directly to the 18pin connector harness using wire tap connectors (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/6...pg_250x250.jpg) since the directions told me exactly which wires in the harness did what. Now I just have to run the wires into the cabin of the car and connect the audio portion of the project. I've decided to change my wiring schematic a little. Rather than install the Media Player in the center console, I'm going to run it into the glove box. This will allow me greater access to use the remote control. I've included the new schematic. Hope this thread is keeping everyone's interest.
Attached Thumbnails DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS-wiring2.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-22-13 at 10:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS