SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 wheel and tire debacle..not sure what next

Old 04-24-13, 07:50 AM
jbrooksga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 wheel and tire debacle..not sure what next

We have a 2002 SC which formerly had the OEM wheels and Kumho tires, not runflats.

Shocks and struts were worn out and replaced a couple of months ago due to obvious tire wear issues, so it was time to get new tires. My wife had wanted to upgrade the wheels since getting the car a couple of years ago. We finally did this and worked with our local Discount Tire store.
  • They installed Yokohama YK580 245/40/18 and Drag DR-33 chrome wheels. Looks great but the car drove terribly with lots of vibration we didn't have previously.
  • Took it back and DT noticed they forgot to install Hub rings, they installed them with the correct size, but still getting some vibration front and back.
  • This DT store didn't have the RoadForce balancing equipment, so I took it to Butler for a RoadForce balance. My assumption was they could solve it if it was possible. Improved some, but still vibrating front and back.
  • At that point we thought it could be a tire issue, so DT then changed our tires to Conti DWS. Drives better but still not acceptable even after taking it to another DT location for an RoadForce balance.
  • At this point my belief was the vibration was coming from the RF tire, so DT ordered a new wheel and replaced the RF only. Still feeling vibrations.
  • I swapped the RF and RR, vibration seems to be more prominent in the RR now but this is the one with the new wheel. Strange.
  • DT decided to try installing different lugnuts. Still vibrating.
  • Took the car to a company who specializes in alignment and suspension work. Alignment was fine and in his opinion it was a PCD issue where the wheels were just not right for the car and the Conti sidewalls were just not forgiving enough to compensate for it. He felt that it would improve by either changing the wheels or getting a premium sidewall tire such as Michelin. In other words, just more $$$ to spend.

From what I can tell, every time the wheels are mounted/balanced the car will drive a tad better for a day and then get progressively worse. Again, we do have the Lexus spec size hub rings installed.

I cannot seem to narrow the vibration down to a particular tire or wheel, but the passenger seat vibrating suggests the bigger problem is in the rear. So at this point I'm trying to decide where to go next. DT says we can change the wheels completely if that is necessary. Are there just cheap wheels that don't work with the SC430 for some reason? My fear is purchasing something more expensive like a TSW or even BBS and still having issues.

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this, or if you have a set of 18" wheels that you know the SC430 "likes"

Last edited by jbrooksga; 04-24-13 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 08:06 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have read about this same issue, lots of threads on it. Once you start using non-OEM rims and spacers, there will be a risk of vibration. Personally I have learned to live with it. Depending on the temperature and with flat spots, I get slight vibration, on and off.

I am using OEM Tourmalines but have hubcentric spacers. Periodically I check the torque on the spacers and the lug nuts. I have not re-balanced my OEM RFT's P ZERO's ever since I bought them (Tourmalines and Tires). I do rotate them every 3,000 miles or so and check wear. It is the normal cupping on then inside. I am dying to dump the FRT's for some Michelin Pilots or Bridgestones. When I have $1,200 to spare I will go for it. That means months of waiting still...
Old 04-24-13, 08:07 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of us are running Conti DWS (non-runflats) on the stock rims, with absolutely baby-butt smooth rides (I too seek out RoadForce balancers). I have heard that aftermarket wheels are often a problem with vibration because they have to be perfectly balanced side-to-side, and center-to-edge. It doesn't take much, especially with wide, low-profile tires.

I suspect that it is one or more of the wheels.
Old 04-24-13, 08:19 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I hate that Contis are not sold @ Costco.
Old 04-24-13, 08:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

My car sits for only good top down weather. I have staggered donz 20 " mounted toyo t1 proxies. From day one the rims and tires were purchased used on ebay were road force balanced and came off a 2005 sc430. had 438 miles on the,. After mounting there was vibration but once I took it out on highway got them hot it settled down to barley noticeable. My car will sit sometimes for three months in between driving. I do move it in the garage to try and keep from getting flat spots. When I do drive it I do get vibration but after 30 min on highway its again barley noticeable. I have hub centric rings that came with the rims and tires. So I just live with it.
Old 04-24-13, 08:50 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

check the lower control arm bushings. check them all upper and lower. I use the cont. tires.
how many miles.

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-24-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 10:53 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you put the OEM set of wheels back and see if there were any vibration with them? I think at least you can then pin point to the new wheels you bought or the vibrations are suspension related.
Old 04-24-13, 11:11 AM
jbrooksga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bb430
Did you put the OEM set of wheels back and see if there were any vibration with them? I think at least you can then pin point to the new wheels you bought or the vibrations are suspension related.
Would have done that already, but didn't keep them as they were beaten all to hell and back by the original owner.
Old 04-24-13, 11:12 AM
jbrooksga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bacardi11
check the lower control arm bushings. check them all upper and lower. I use the cont. tires.
how many miles.
Mileage is 127,000
Old 04-24-13, 11:16 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

I'm sure that you have gone out for longer drives already, but remember that the DWS do flat-spot after sitting and it takes 10 minutes or so of driving (less in hot weather) before they smooth out.
Old 04-24-13, 11:42 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

How aggressive were the offsets on the Drag wheels ? How different from stock ? Did you try running at a 10-15% increase to recommended tire pressure ?
Old 04-24-13, 11:44 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Wonder if your hubs were affected by running the Drag wheels with no rings for a time ? Could you get someone to check your hubs ?
Old 04-24-13, 11:45 AM
jbrooksga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kjcole
I'm sure that you have gone out for longer drives already, but remember that the DWS do flat-spot after sitting and it takes 10 minutes or so of driving (less in hot weather) before they smooth out.
I keep forgetting about that. Our temperatures have been a lot cooler than normal this month, which could be causing a perception of bad handling. Most of the time when I'm testing out the car, it isn't on longer drives.
Old 04-24-13, 11:45 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Yep. I have 2 SC430s. One has new Continental DWS tires and the other with new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The one with the DWS tires shakes when first driven after sitting a few days. I originally thought it was worse when cold but even in 85 deg temps it shakes. The shakes go away (mostly) after driven for a while. If sitting just overnight shakes are not noticeable so it's related to how long the car sits.

The SC430 with the Michelins is absolutely perfectly smooth ALL THE TIME, no matter how long the car sits. The Pilot Super Sports are summer tires and reading ratings they are always the top rated by owners.

The DWS tires also produce more tire noise, but not offensive.

JR
Old 04-24-13, 12:41 PM
soundsuper
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 and put DR-33 with stock size Conti DWS on it about 2000 miles ago.
They vibrate for about a mile or two then it stops. I believe it is the Contis. Had the same issue on my Sequoia with Contis. I find the DWS to be a quiet as the Michelins. Had Michilin Pilot Sports with about 10k on them and they vibrated a lot and followed all road imperfections of which there are a lot in Michigan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 wheel and tire debacle..not sure what next