SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pwr / ect / snow ?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 06:41 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pwr / ect / snow ?...

I know that the PWR mode changes the throttle sensitivity. Does it do anything else like changing shift points, downshift points etc?

I can't find anything in the owner manual other than "for powerful acceleration and driving in mountainous regions"

Does anyone know what it really does?

JR
Old 04-23-13, 07:32 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Odd thing I heard - someone said it actually helps fuel efficiency when you are in Pwr mode. I left mine in pwr for the last 6 months and it seemed about the same to me. MPGs were certainly not worse than normal mode and throttle response is better. So I am keeping it this way.
Old 04-23-13, 08:15 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think is supposed to change the revs when the gears shift. In snow mode it tries to prevent the wheels spinning too fast.
Old 04-24-13, 01:18 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
I think is supposed to change the revs when the gears shift. In snow mode it tries to prevent the wheels spinning too fast.
:thumbup that's my understanding .
Old 04-24-13, 03:43 PM
scionized
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the PWR mode changes the shift points and throttle response, SNOW starts the car in second gear for better traction in snow, and etc is just normal from my understanding..
Old 04-25-13, 06:15 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I may be wrong about this but, I was under the impression that "ECT" wasn't a mode...it was the name of the switch.

It's the "Electronically Controlled Throttle"...and it has 3 positions - Power, Normal, and Snow.

Last edited by Habious; 04-25-13 at 06:16 AM. Reason: ETC, ECT...whatever.
Old 04-25-13, 06:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I will switch on my ECT and try it for a few hundred miles. I occasionally turn it on anyway when "conditions" exist, and drop the gear to 3 and then upshift to D. Have not tried 2 and do the C shift.
Old 04-25-13, 02:57 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scionized
the PWR mode changes the shift points and throttle response, SNOW starts the car in second gear for better traction in snow.
I'm not sure that's correct. I just took my 08 SC for a ride and I counted the same number of shifts in both snow and normal mode.

There is a difference in throttle response.

My LS has the same PWR-NORM--SNOW switch. When I switch the LS to Snow mode there is a much more dramatic reduction in throttle response. It's not so dramatic with the SC430.

In Normal mode i find that my LS is excessively sensitive. When I have passengers I find myself going into Snow mode with the LS. it makes the throttle is more controllable. The SNOW mode in the LS has a dramatic effect on throttle response. If I switch it while accelerating its like I instantly reduced throttle by 1/2.

So my "normal" driving setting is PWR for my SC 430s and SNOW for my LS460.

Of course, when pulling onto an interstate on ramp I stomp the pedal to the floor at times and enjoy the acceleration. It seems to blow out the cobwebs and it keeps the car running very well.

JR
Old 04-25-13, 11:44 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your LS has 8 speed transmission which might contribute to how you feel in comparison to the SC which has only 6 speeds?!
Old 10-30-19, 03:34 PM
djloomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. This button controls the power to the transmission. Pressing Power makes the transmission sensitive on take-off. Snow Mode reduces the likelihood of tire slippage in snowy weather. This mode makes the car feel as if it starting off in 2nd Gear.
Old 10-31-19, 03:55 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by djloomer
I read that ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. This button controls the power to the transmission. Pressing Power makes the transmission sensitive on take-off. Snow Mode reduces the likelihood of tire slippage in snowy weather. This mode makes the car feel as if it starting off in 2nd Gear.
Doesn't feel like, it is second gear.
Old 10-31-19, 06:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, I kind of doubt it starts in 2nd gear as well. I think it just drastically reduces throttle response. And if anything it should allow for bit more wheel spin not less.
Old 11-04-19, 05:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I know that the PWR mode changes the throttle sensitivity. Does it do anything else like changing shift points, downshift points etc?

I can't find anything in the owner manual other than "for powerful acceleration and driving in mountainous regions"

Does anyone know what it really does?

JR
Guys, try this:
At a stand still, set the ECT in PWR mode. Step hard on the acceleration pedal and your SC will take off. Watch the tachometer you will see the first gear shifts around 4400 rpm, then the second gears is shifted around 6000 rpm and so on....
I have never experienced with any car that goes faster than the SC, so I can not say if it's fast.
For me, it's fast enough. It is not my habit to do this. Just one or two times to feel the power of the SC.
Old 11-04-19, 06:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

If you stomp on the pedal, WOT, there is no difference between normal and power mode.
Old 11-04-19, 06:16 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
If you stomp on the pedal, WOT, there is no difference between normal and power mode.
Not quite. It's huge different. In normal mode, the first gear will shift around 2500 rpm and so on...Try the normal mode then PWR mode, you will see what I meant.

Quick Reply: Pwr / ect / snow ?...