SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Water at front of trunk -- where to look for entry point?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 07:51 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Water at front of trunk -- where to look for entry point?

I am getting water at the very front of the trunk, nearest the passenger compartment. Are there drains in that vicinity that might be plugged causing an overflow there? Any other suggestions? Rest of the trunk is dry. The only wet area is immediately underneath the pull-out "shade" thing that has to be in place for the top to operate. Some indication that the water is coming from above that, since it is wet also.
Old 04-13-13, 10:00 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I would clean all of the trunk weather stripping and then treat with that aerospace # 303 I think that's what they call it. I would pay real close attention to the top of the trunk door panel underneath the middle brake light unit . Get on a ladder and keep the trunk panel held open so you can really see whats going on with the weather stripping in that area. I find if I don't clean and treat mine when I go to open the trunk it sticks to the weather stripping and you can see it pull on it when I just open the trunk .

There is also in the trays that are visable when you open the trunk a drain that has a rubber hose on it
you could try to gently push a wire into the drain hole and see if you can clear out any debri or try compressed air . I don't know where the rubber hoses exit but compressed air may help you find it.
The trough of plastic panels that divert water are easy to clean up

Good luck

Last edited by mrblister; 04-13-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 03:57 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Johnnycakes good question. I've got the same roblem. It started on the passenger side, but the other day the car was out in a rain storm and both sides were wet. I first thought that it only got wet when opening the trunk lid but that wasn't the case. I guess I got a leak.

Buddy where do you purchase aerospace #303. Hope I don't have to drive to Philly to get some. lol
Old 04-14-13, 04:10 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default aerospace 303

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Johnnycakes good question. I've got the same roblem. It started on the passenger side, but the other day the car was out in a rain storm and both sides were wet. I first thought that it only got wet when opening the trunk lid but that wasn't the case. I guess I got a leak.

Buddy where do you purchase aerospace #303. Hope I don't have to drive to Philly to get some. lol
On line great prices.

http://www.autogeek.net/303.html?gcl...FU6f4AodJQkAXg
Old 04-15-13, 03:31 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t know if this will help or not....
once I had the same problem, took my car to a workshop...they found out that the rear rubber on the low edge of the rear window was bended... they say it might be cuz the roof was opened while things where in the trunk and it did not close well.
anyway they changed it and fix the area where it should be attached to. No water leak after that.
Hope this help.
Old 04-15-13, 07:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Get the gallon! You will be a satisfied user.
Old 04-15-13, 07:39 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboo
I don’t know if this will help or not....
once I had the same problem, took my car to a workshop...they found out that the rear rubber on the low edge of the rear window was bended... they say it might be cuz the roof was opened while things where in the trunk and it did not close well.
anyway they changed it and fix the area where it should be attached to. No water leak after that.
Hope this help.
Turboo,

I took a look at JohnnyCake's car this weekend (per his request - I'm not a stalker), and I found the same problem...

The seal at the bottom of the rear window is coming loose from the body (and it's wet down inside there).

We were short on time but, I think our next step is going to be to get the water hose out and start spraying, to see if we can verify where the leak is...and then work on the fix.
Old 04-15-13, 08:42 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Habious
Turboo,

I took a look at JohnnyCake's car this weekend (per his request - I'm not a stalker), and I found the same problem...

The seal at the bottom of the rear window is coming loose from the body (and it's wet down inside there).

We were short on time but, I think our next step is going to be to get the water hose out and start spraying, to see if we can verify where the leak is...and then work on the fix.
Habious,
Glad that you found the reason for the leak.....plz note that there are many electronics in the trunk that might easily damage due to water leak and it is expensive to replace. So try to fix it asap and good luck.
keep us updated of your findings and how did you fix it.
Old 04-16-13, 06:40 AM
mandyfig

As usual pics and tips for our members...thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-13, 05:21 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Investigation this weekend, repair next weekend.

We actually closed Habious in the trunk with a flashlight while I sprayed the crap out of all of the seal areas for a pretty long time. Habious did not see a drop of water enter the trunk.

That leaves Mr. Blister's idea as possibly valid (after a really really hard long rain the drain finally backs up), so we'll take a look at that. We'll also glue down the gasket. Pictures to come.

It would have been nice to be able to replicate the problem which would have aided diagnosing it.
Old 04-21-13, 09:25 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Pics and tips ...thank you.
and please dont forget Habious in the trunk
Old 04-23-13, 06:57 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by Turboo
Pics and tips ...thank you.
and please dont forget Habious in the trunk
I'm out...I'm out!
Old 04-23-13, 08:43 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did someone pay the ransome? Glad to hear that you are out.
Old 04-23-13, 02:20 PM
Habious

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Did someone pay the ransome? Glad to hear that you are out.
We didn't learn where the leak was coming from.

However, we did learn that you can haul a (dead) body in the trunk of our car EVEN WITH a spare tire kit installed.
Old 04-23-13, 03:06 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Habious
We didn't learn where the leak was coming from.

However, we did learn that you can haul a (dead) body in the trunk of our car EVEN WITH a spare tire kit installed.
What? LOL! Seriously???

Quick Reply: Water at front of trunk -- where to look for entry point?