SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire Question- Ditched the RFT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 07:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Smile Tire Question- Ditched the RFT's

I am beyond glad, that I joined this forum. So much info on anything and everything SC430 related. After reading thread after thread on this forum (and putting 22,000 miles on 10,000 mile rated tires), I switched out of the stock Bridgestone Potenza 245/40/18 RFT's to an aftermarket tire (Primwell PZ900). Tires are on order and are quite cheap, b'c i'm really low on disposable income atm but plan on changing up to larger rims and rubber in a couple of months. Right now I'm sticking with the 18" TRD Chrome rims that came with my SC430. So I have a couple of questions.
1) In the event of a flat, would there be any foreseeable problem in using the stock Lexus 17" doughnut spare even though I have 18" tires?
2) If I wanted to put spacers to make the tires flush to the wheel well, what would be the recommendation for a 245/40/18 tire? Front? Rear? The tires are 9.5" wide.

Thanks for any advice. I know you guys are the pros when it comes to this stuff.
Old 04-11-13, 09:23 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lexus temp spare has a 145/70r17 tire mounted on the rim. Best as I can find it measures 25" diameter. The standard tires on a SC430 are 245/40R18 which I believe measure 25.7" diameter.

The Lexus temp spare, when installed, will allow you to drive safely.

Another option is a Mazda RX-8 temp spare. It's about 1" less in diameter than the Lexus temp spare. It also will mount and enable you to drive safely to get your flat repaired. Of course you will be driving slightly tilted but still safe.

I have both and the Lexus spare probably weighs 2x the weight of the Mazda spare. Lexus spare is mounted on a steel rim and the Mazda spare is mounted on an alloy rim. When on road trips I throw he Mazda temp in the trunk.

I also keep a Lexus Emergency compressor with sealant in the trunk. If I would find I have a nail that slowly leaked air I would pump up the tire with air from the compressor and drive to a tire store..that's the beauty of having a functioning TPMS system. It would warn you of low pressure. If I had a blowout of large gash I would mount the spare, or better yet call road service.

JR
Old 04-11-13, 09:51 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The Lexus temp spare has a 145/70r17 tire mounted on the rim. Best as I can find it measures 25" diameter. The standard tires on a SC430 are 245/40R18 which I believe measure 25.7" diameter.

Another option is a Mazda RX-8 temp spare. It's about 1" less in diameter than the Lexus temp spare. It also will mount and enable you to drive safely to get your flat repaired. Of course you will be driving slightly tilted but still safe.

I have both and the Lexus spare probably weighs 2x the weight of the Mazda spare. Lexus spare is mounted on a steel rim and the Mazda spare is mounted on an alloy rim. When on road trips I throw he Mazda temp in the trunk.

I also keep a Lexus Emergency compressor with sealant in the trunk. If I would find I have a nail that slowly leaked air I would pump up the tire with air from the compressor and drive to a tire store..that's the beauty of having a functioning TPMS system. It would warn you of low pressure. If I had a blowout of large gash I would mount the spare, or better yet call road service.

JR
Awesome, thanks for the insight, FlyCT. I will def check both of these options out. On another note, from what I've read on this forum, won't "Fix-a-Flat," type of sealants cause damage to the TPMS?

I'm also still looking for advice on the spacers, if anyone can help out. Thanks
Old 04-11-13, 11:40 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use cont. 245x40x18 on custom rims. I use 19mm spacers front and rear with Swift Springs .8 front and .6 drop. no problems. I think you can go to 15mm but I stayed at 19mm to be safe. i'm very happy the look.
Old 04-12-13, 04:23 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Awesome, thanks for the insight, FlyCT. I will def check both of these options out. On another note, from what I've read on this forum, won't "Fix-a-Flat," type of sealants cause damage to the TPMS?

I'm also still looking for advice on the spacers, if anyone can help out. Thanks
This Lexus Tire Repair Kit claims that the sealant is TPMS safe. It can be used just as a compressor or option to inject sealant as it adds air. I have one in each of my cars.

It's $65 with the Club Lexus discount from Sewell Lexus.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/4343.html

JR
Old 04-12-13, 05:05 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The Lexus Tire Repair Kit is a must. It fits perfectly in one of the corners. The other side is for the Fist Aid.
Old 04-12-13, 07:21 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fly
is there a prmo code on this idem
Old 04-12-13, 12:05 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Ok so I'll look into that repair kit for sure. Would hate to be stuck somewhere without even a spare, and economically and space-wise it makes sense to have the kit for my city driving rather than the spare.

As for the spacers, after much help from Bacardi, I'm still looking for a good set. I called the company that he recommended and i'm happy with their experience but they are quite expensive for the full custom manufacture. Can anyone else possibly recommend a company and size to flush the wheels to the side body? I know for a fact not to get slide on spacers.... not looking to have wheel come flying off at 75mph. So I would like bolt on, hub centered, and billet aluminium. But I am still up in the air on the size and manufacturer of the spacers. Any recs?
Old 04-12-13, 12:44 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by bacardi11
Fly
is there a prmo code on this idem
To get the Club Lexus discount at Sewell parts you must register using your Club Lexus user name, then sign on again.

Then go to the item again and you'll see the discounted price.

JR
Old 04-12-13, 05:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT

JR
...another spare tire option would be the g35/37 spare. I was @ the wrecking yard a few months ago & ran across a g35 wih a spare in the trunk. They sold it to me for $25...bolts right up
Old 04-13-13, 07:54 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...another spare tire option would be the g35/37 spare. I was @ the wrecking yard a few months ago & ran across a g35 wih a spare in the trunk. They sold it to me for $25...bolts right up
Interesting, good to know. Is it the same size as the standard spare and fit in the depression in the trunk? Is it as heavy as the standard or lighter like the Mazda spare?
Old 04-14-13, 01:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I think it's the same size as the standard spare. It's a 17in & I think thats what ours come with also, but not sure of the weight difference. The idea of purchasing a "g spare"came about when I changed wheels. The shop that installed my new wheels, had a spare from a 2012 g37 (18in), in there shop. I asked if they would bolt it on, to see if it would fit & clear brakes...and it did. They wouldn't sell it to me,but I kept it in my mind to look into buying one. A couple of months later, I ran across one at the wrecking yard. Mine is a 17in & it came out of a g35, the test spare was a 18in & it came out of a g37.....
Old 04-26-13, 06:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Ok, I guess I'm going to revive this thread. I am still in the market for spacers and I've finally got enough $ saved up. I think this will be my next mod for my SC430 and my biggest concern remains about hubcentric vs. nonhubcentric. I have the aftermarket TRD 18" rims, and some spacers say that the rim must have a "pocket" behind the center. Does anyone know if this would make a difference? I'm afraid, of course, of the wheel flying off and thus want to get all the proper information before I buy my spacers. I've noticed the hubcentric ones have a small ring that is supposed to flush mount to the back of the rim. Why is this better than the actual bulk of the spacer being fully flush to the back of the rim? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-13, 07:01 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Hubcentric spacers are the way to go.
Old 04-26-13, 09:49 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hubcentric spacers are the way to go.
I'm assuming that the "pocket" that many spacers refer to is a "center bore," into which the hubcentric lip fits. I assume this is the area that lies right below the center cap. If this is true, does anyone know if these TRD rims are "center bored"? If so, what's the size of the "center bore?" I just want to make sure I get the right spacers, and that they are installed correctly.