SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

XM Radio in SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 08:48 PM
jcmartz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio in SC430

Just finished installing an XM radio into my 2002 SC430. Spent quite a bit of time puzzling over head units, antenna, etc. My goal was to be as discrete as possible, especially the head unit. I ended up using a Sony XM1 (very small) behind the door for the ashtray. This worked great, and the ashtray door closes to conceal the XM radio. I used the low-profile Terk XM antenna, routed as shown in the pictures below. The antenna location was the hardest part, as (obviously) the rear window and rear deck were really out of the question. (just look how wires are run from your brake light on the trunk lid if you doubt this - there's no good way to run additional wires). Anyway, it works great, and I bring the XM into the SC430 stereo with an FM modulator (stock unit that comes with the Sony). As a bonus, I've been using this head unit on my Goldwing GL1800, so I don't have to subscribe another head unit to enjoy XM on my 2 favorite vehicles.

Joe Martz

Old 12-26-02, 10:16 PM
Robbo
Rookie

I'm getting my Alpine XM receiver installed next week in my SC. The installer seems to think the best place to put it is on the trunk, just behind the brake light. I made sure he realized that the trunk opens up both ways and he believes he can utilize the same wiring channel as the brake wires.

This guy does a lot of high end installs so we'll see......

Last edited by Robbo; 12-26-02 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 12:51 AM
jcmartz
Driver School Candidate

Has he looked closely at the brake-light electrical line? It's on a retractable fishing reel! The line is kept under constant tension and spools up on a spring-wound drum. Simply put, you can't run a line parallel to this. For the life of me, I didn't see how to route additional wires via this method. The number of mechanical widgets in the vicinity of this line makes any solution that has wire-slack simply unusable; the wire is bound to get caught up in the various pulleys, latches, etc. while the nature of the trunk opening/closing means you're need wire slack. Hence, the Lexus solution with the fishing reel. If your installer does manage to get something on the trunk acceptably, please post details here.

Joe M.
Old 12-27-02, 11:53 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a portable Delphi unit in my SC, which isn't as perfect as an installation but lessens the risk of damaging anything in the radio. (I haven't found a professional installer that wants to touch the ML system.)

The antenna runs from the console and tucks nicely under the outline of the back seat from bottom to top. Since I ran it under the driver's side of the back seat, it was easy to bring it through the trunk and magnetically attach it to the driver's side rear fender. Not sure what the Sony or Alpine antennas look like, but the Delphi antenna looks like a large computer mouse so it really doesn't take away from the look of the car. My reception is fine and I don't have to worry about trunk raising/lowering issues. Just a suggestion!
Old 12-27-02, 11:58 AM
Robbo
Rookie

Now you've made me nervous.

I'm not crazy about putting the antenna up front on the roof "bar". I know some people have had success just putting the antenna on the rear deck or the dash--- but I think they are in areas with local repeaters.

Did you consider putting it on the rear bumper? How about the the rear side panels (perhaps near the existing radio antenna)?
Old 12-27-02, 12:15 PM
jcmartz
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the rear bumper and rear sidepanels (as mentionned above) are both options. Actually, I really thought about building a bracket and mounting it just below the rear license plate, but 1) this could block reception from certain angles (I live in the booneys with no local repeaters), and 2) one "love-tap" or parking misjudgement, and the antenna would be toast. Another option is the ultra-flat (1/2") XM antenna shown on the XM website in the location I used. I haven't seen this antenna personally, but I have the option of swapping out with my Terk antenna should this unit look better in lower profile. The Terk unit looks better in person that it does in the photos above.

Regarding the ML stereo, it's really very easy to use an FM modulator. There are 2 antenna plugs on the back of the unit behind the dash. The FM input is the plug closest to the edge (on the left-hand side as seen looking from the front). Reach behind, pull out this plug, and insert the FM modulator plugs in-line. If anyone needs instructions for opening the dash on the SC430, please let me know. Sound isn't perfect with the FM modulator, it sounds like a really good FM station, but still has some of the modulation artifacts you can hear on radio.

Joe M.
Old 12-27-02, 12:42 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the photos?

Those photos won't display on my Internet Explorer browser? Has anyone else had trouble seeing the photos? I'm extremely interested in seeing them because I just got a Satellite radio for X-mas and am wondering how it should get installed!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-02, 02:22 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default I can't see the pix either (nt)

"NT" means no text in the message, but the software wouldn't let me post without something in the message field!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-02, 02:39 PM
jcmartz
Driver School Candidate

Seems the picture posting is all fubar. I've uploaded the photos to the picture gallery here under the SC430 forum. Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...at=504&thumb=1

Last edited by jcmartz; 12-27-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 02:43 PM
Robbo
Rookie

I saw the pix last night from home, but can't see them now from work, either.
Old 01-03-03, 01:11 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default o.k.

has anyone considered mounting that ugly antenna on the front dash instead? ...and if you have, how is reception for you?
Old 01-03-03, 01:22 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Cool Antenna Location

I actually installed my antenna inside the back rear window. (Pics are located at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...atellite+Radio )

I have taken the vehicle into areas w/o repeaters, and the radio has worked great for 98% of the time. The only problems I get are driving on mountain roads with steep vertical walls that blocks my view to the south.
Old 01-03-03, 06:06 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default o.k.

thanks much for that link! ....that is EXACTLY the type of thing I was looking for.... ...that is the route I'll go too! (deck lid mount)

....it just seems to look much cleaner to me.... and less intrusive..

thanks again!
Old 01-03-03, 06:50 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Default another thing -- FM Modulators

One other thing. For those using the Sony or any other unit, make sure you have a way to turn off the FM Modulator. If you don't have a way to turn it off, the modulator will drown out many FM and AM stations. Some modulators are controlled by the head unit specifically, however not all are. That is why I installed the rocker switch to the left of the XM unit.
Old 01-03-03, 07:53 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Default Re: o.k.

Originally posted by ceboyd
thanks much for that link! ....that is EXACTLY the type of thing I was looking for.... ...that is the route I'll go too! (deck lid mount)

....it just seems to look much cleaner to me.... and less intrusive..

thanks again!
Remember-- the further north you are, the lower on the horizon the birds are and the greater likelihood of getting the signal blocked from your roof. Of course, if you only drive your car with top down that won't be an issue.

I'm leaning towards mounting it on the rear sidepanel, opposite where the radio antenna is. I'll see what the installer has to say about it. He already told me that if I tell him to install the antenna inside the car, when (not if, when) I come back and ask him to move it, he'll have to charge me extra.

Quick Reply: XM Radio in SC430