SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retractable Top: Trunk Opens, but no more

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 05:26 AM
JPSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retractable Top: Trunk Opens, but no more

I have a 2002 SC430 and the top is not retracting when I try to convert. When I push the button, the trunk comes up, but then the top does not retract into the trunk. The button displays a solid red light, not blinking. There is the slightest of movements by the top, opening about half an inch that I can see when looking from the interior, but then it just stops. I hear no strange noises and an inspection of the mechanics while it is operating reveals nothing that I can see. I tried the valet button in the glove box but that isn't it. Any ideas on what I might try or what I can expect when I invariably bring it to the dealership?

Some things I'll try when I get home tonight (let me know if this isn't worth while, or if there are others):

(1) reset ECU by disconnecting neutral on battery terminal
(2) manually opening the top

Unfortunately it is about 6,000 miles outside of warranty now. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-13, 06:06 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default top

if I remember right one of the guys had the same problem had to do the motors. I just don't remember was not cheap. some one here help him out. wait for some to check in about this before going to dealer.
Old 04-08-13, 08:18 AM
JPSC430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bacardi. The "not cheap" is what I was worried about. I extended the warranty out as far as I could, and then this comes along.

Just to add, the trunk goes up and then back down smoothly with zero problems when I press the button. It is when it gets to moving the roof back that it has issues -- stops at the exact same point each time (about one inch slid back).
Old 04-08-13, 08:57 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Default top

do a search I think you will find it. or back a few pages I remember reading some thing about it.
Old 04-08-13, 09:03 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just when nice weather is beginning -- what luck.

Disconnecting the battery is always a good first step.

After that, decide if you are the type of person who is willing to fix things yourself. If so, the next logical step would be to get the DTC code which will identify the problem. You have to do that at a Lexus dealer, they will charge you for labor, and the fault has to occur while the DTC code reader is attached.

Check out this thread for a similar problem solving procedure, although obviously the actual problem in that thread is much different than yours.
Old 04-08-13, 09:31 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Default top

thank johnnycake see I said someone will check in.
Old 04-08-13, 10:29 AM
JPSC430
Driver School Candidate

Just to clsoe out the thread, my wife (it is actually her daily driver) took the car to the dealership and they confirmed that the cable was off track. The cost was $300 to fix it ($100 for diagnostic, which rolled into the price). Crazy when you're happy to spend $300, but I'm just happy it isn't something more major.
Old 04-08-13, 10:48 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

lucked out
Old 07-05-13, 05:09 PM
studshark
Driver School Candidate

Hey there, I ran into exact same issue - the trunk goes up. but the top is moving a few inches and then nothing.

What was the cable to fix?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-13, 10:08 PM
HOODCELEBS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys if the top is trying to open try greasing the trac and where u see the wheel with the grooves in it..... I would try that before the replacing motors 8 out of 10 that's the problem
Old 07-07-13, 06:29 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree with HOOD answer, check it out first he could be right. better then the motors.
Old 07-07-13, 08:48 AM
HOODCELEBS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it happened to mines a few summers ago and I greased it and it was working fine.... but I had the same exact issue and dealer wanted to replace motors so I checked it myself to see where it gets stuck its two metals rubbing that stays greased after awhile they get dry
Old 07-07-13, 09:49 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HOODCELEBS
it happened to mines a few summers ago and I greased it and it was working fine.... but I had the same exact issue and dealer wanted to replace motors so I checked it myself to see where it gets stuck its two metals rubbing that stays greased after awhile they get dry
Any chance of posting a pix of the area you are talking about? Sounds like preventative maintenance time!
Old 07-10-13, 12:43 PM
snoop562
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Any chance of posting a pix of the area you are talking about? Sounds like preventative maintenance time!
+2 im looking at an sc with the same problem
Old 07-12-13, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by studshark
Hey there, I ran into exact same issue - the trunk goes up. but the top is moving a few inches and then nothing.

What was the cable to fix?

Thanks!
Studshark, be sure to check your trunk lid struts first. If they will no longer hold up your trunk lid when you open it, they might be the problem. My struts went out and then my top would only intermittently open. Just like yours, my trunk lid would open and then the roof would only move part way back. At least it would close without issues. The problem went away once I replaced the struts.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Retractable Top: Trunk Opens, but no more