SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 03:58 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Buy another pair install in your doors., Install one in the trunk pointing down and you will have one spare in case one burns out.

Mandyfig

Did you get yours from HONGWEIZE@126.COM. that was the pay pal account. if you did mine look just like yours and they have the 2 minute shut off feature so the led will last longer.
I will check if I bought it from the same vendor. Just took a week!
Old 04-16-13, 04:05 PM
mandyfig

Got mine from stephenhong2009 but yes the Paypal account is the same. I guess I have a 2 minute shut off feature too? I was concerned if I installed it on the rear, it might be a fire risk...
Old 04-16-13, 04:08 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default puddle

Mandyfig.
I installed in just my drivers door sunday. I pulled the panel and drilled the bottom of it approx. mid way. This is the lowest point that you can install the projector at so the image I project on the ground is 20 " wide. The distance from the projector to the ground is approx. 16 " I would of liked it lower but that's as low as you can install it. I was only able to use one of the lock collars
because there were not enough threads in the barrel to reach beyond it for the second one. you really only need one lock collar.

Since I know how to do it now I will do a write up when I do the passenger side. All and all I am happy with how it turned out . really shows up well at night. Also the projector was a flush install and the panel was not damaged in any way and it fit really well and did not interfere with anything.

Last edited by mrblister; 04-16-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 04:15 PM
mandyfig

Thanks mrblister, I would like to install it on the lens as turboo did. Is this not good enough? What are the minuses?
Old 04-16-13, 04:16 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by mrblister
Mandyfig.
I installed in just my drivers door sunday. I pulled the panel and drilled the bottom of it approx. mid way. This is the lowest point that you can install the projector at so the image I project on the ground is 20 " wide. The distance from the projector to the ground is approx. 16 " I would of liked it lower but that's as low as you can install it. I was only able to use one of the lock collars
because there were not enough threads in the barrel to reach beyond it for the second one. you really only need one lock collar.

Since I know how to do it now I will do a write up when I do the passenger side. All and all I am happy with how it turned out . really shows up well at night. Also the projector was a flush install and the panel was not damaged in any way and it fit really well and did not interfere with anything.
Can you please take as shot of your current install? Thanks.
Old 04-16-13, 04:23 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Its more work to pull the panel. Remember if you drill your courtesy door lens you will lose the oem light because I don't think there is room for the projector and the OEM bulb. Also I believe that doing it in the lens does not get the angle of the projector straight down. If for any reason the projector does not hold up its no problem because the projector can not be seen its hidden because its flush to the panel. It really looks OEM I will do pictures next week when I finish the passenger side. If I find that the led does not last I could retro fit a led in the same hole and then I will really have a puddle light
Old 04-16-13, 08:13 PM
mandyfig

The reason why I want to do the lens is that there is no need to pull the panel. Yank out the courtesy light, disconnect the light and install the puddle. Am I missing something?

As far as the puddle being perpendicular, i have yet to look at it.

If the puddle light has a build in timer, i will install the rear first. And if it works good, i will order another set for the doors. If I install the rear, I will include a switch so i can light it up when I feel like it.

Anyway time to relax and sleep, some of us have to work.
Old 04-16-13, 09:11 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
So guys, any progress? Any pics of the install?
Mandyfig: No, I have not installed the lights under the car yet. At the moment, I am communicating with Tommy (Lexiss_Sc430) to find out how to snake the wire into the cabin. I have not given up. I will take pictures and post, once successful.

This concept of Lexus logo light in the door is tempting. However, I really need functional light to illuminate the area near the door when activated, thus my project of LED light under the car. I did this with my wife's GX and I really like it

Texsexlex: I will post pictures of the LED when I install. I have decided to go with a strip DRL that I bought on ebay some time ago for the front of another car. However, I will it instead as light under the sc.

Cheers.
Old 04-17-13, 10:08 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Options2k
Mandyfig: No, I have not installed the lights under the car yet. At the moment, I am communicating with Tommy (Lexiss_Sc430) to find out how to snake the wire into the cabin. I have not given up. I will take pictures and post, once successful.

This concept of Lexus logo light in the door is tempting. However, I really need functional light to illuminate the area near the door when activated, thus my project of LED light under the car. I did this with my wife's GX and I really like it

Texsexlex: I will post pictures of the LED when I install. I have decided to go with a strip DRL that I bought on ebay some time ago for the front of another car. However, I will it instead as light under the sc.

Cheers.
Options2k,

I want to wire up the puddle light together with the courtesy lights. When you open the door the puddle light is on as well as the courtesy lights. No need to go to the cabin to get wiring for power. Just tap into the courtesy light wires.

However the above option will muddy up the Lexus puddle light because the courtesy lights are on at the same time. Hence I say, dump the courtesy lights, yank it out and instead wire up the puddle light. Use connectors so you can easily go back.

From what I can imagine and understand you only need to yank out the courtesy light assembly (as I did when I replaced the 168’s with the 168 LED’s) and you can do your re-wiring and in my case drilling a hole on the lens that will hold the puddle light (straight down, this is the challenge) as turboo has done.

Or else as texsexles says, yank the door panel in the bottom and drill a hole in the bottom of the door and do you wiring, there is no need to remove the door panel.

Am I getting it wrong?
Old 04-17-13, 10:37 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

The courtesy lights in the door are not really aimed that much down so there really is not a muddy effect with puddle light on and courtesy light on. The door panel itself not the door you will have to drill if you want the projector light straight down. You do have to pull the panel which is easy to drill the hole in the correct spot. I did my drivers side and will do the passengers side next week I plan on taking pictures so you can see how I did mine. Once the hole is drilled an projector is in place it is flush with bottom of the door panel and when the door is closed the lens is actually in a protected area so it does not get dirty or wet

I really find that the courtesy lights in the door are also to show a driver coming up on you from the rear that your door is open .

Last edited by mrblister; 04-17-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 10:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I might just do that. I tested it and it gets warm...hopefully it has a timer built in, wonder how they do it though. Here's what I got, this is abut 10" off the ground.
....lol...you guys are going to make me install mine this weekend, with or without puddle lights
Old 04-18-13, 01:48 PM
mandyfig

Let's go man!! Do it!!! Pics and more pics...