SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another new owner- Leather seat question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 05:51 PM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another new owner- Leather seat question.

Hi guys.
Thanks for the excellent info and discussion. Much of what I've seen here helped push me over the top into this purchase.
I have been a Lexus fan since '92, having had their SC400, then
GS400 and finally a "momentary relapse" with the Sportcross!
I recently acquired a used 2002 indigo/ecru with 21000km or
12000 miles, for $73M Cdn. ($47M US.) The car has all options,
except for nav. and is in excellent condition. It also has the extended warrranty to 180M km.
I believe this deal is fair, having worked a dealer with some year-end pressures. Living in somewhat of a snowbelt so I had them put on a 17" Nokian winter package. They are just fine.
The car is just beautiful and I realize now how much I missed the
Lexus Mark Lev. sound system!
The only problem I have is a blue stain on the drivers seat. The
dealer tried to remove it and I even attempted a Zaino product, with no luck. They said they will cover it under warranty. Has anyone had to have a seat replaced or partial leather replacement done? This stain appears to be a dye transfer from
a navy suit or bluejean. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-23-02, 06:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I know I'm not answering your question but just wanted to welcome you back to the Lexus Family. I, too, owned a GS w/ Mark Levinson and in a moment of temporary insanity traded for an A6. All it took was 8 months of bad service and squealy brakes to influence my decision on the SC430. Doesn't it feel great to come back to Lexus?
Old 01-17-03, 09:46 AM
chitowngrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry permanent stains on ecru leather seats

Hi, I am so glad to find that I am not the only one with this problem. I was told by Lexus that I was. But you are about the 4 th person to complain. Lexus is saying that they are not responsible, but we say yes you are, you pay 70,000 for a vehicle and not told that if you order the ecru leather, your seats will turn blue in a week if you decide to wear clothing while driving. I say Lexus is in for a huge lawsuit. This is a defect in the leather material and we are looking into a class action lawsuit. If you know of anyone else, please have them contact me, or if anyone else who has had this problem, what has Lexus done for them? Thanks so much.
Old 01-17-03, 10:41 AM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Default Ecru seats

Thanks for responding to my ecru leather stain issue.
As a matter of fact, I'm having my dealer replace the
leather seat areas with these stains. They are doing
this on January 15, under warranty! I will post an
update once completed.
They have apparently done this before. They used to take
the seat out to an auto seat upholsterer, but now have
someone inside, able to do this with new 'seat covers'.
I will let you know as far as quality is concerned. The
dealer sort of hinted that damp or wet jeans or navy pants
will transfer some dye on to these ecru seats.

On a side note, they are also replacing the headlight washer
pump and relay switch (under warranty) as the crazy thing
came on by itself, draining the reservoir and eventually burning
out. Must be this cold Canadian winter!
Old 01-17-03, 12:28 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity ....

Once your ecru seats are replaced, what happens the next time you wear something black or blue or whatever is it you wore that transferred the dye to the seat? Get them replaced again?

Old 01-17-03, 01:00 PM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Good question!
Although I am not responsible for stains on my seats,
since the car was used and 'Lexus certified'...... I
might try a quality leather conditioner/cleaner to
help prevent it happening again.

However, the quality of this ecru leather is a concern.
Having driven 3 other Lexus cars, for 4 years each, with
no wear or dye transfer problems....perhaps Lexus should
be made aware of our concerns.
Old 01-17-03, 02:14 PM
chitowngrl
Driver School Candidate

Exactly, we definitely agree that it should be brought to their attention, which we have, and they are saying they are not responsible. I have owned many cars with very light interior leather, and have never had this problem, in fact I am also driving a light light grey leather on a bmw wearing the same clothing and there are no dye transfers at all. There is a definite defect in that buttery soft leather that they are using and selling and not telling consumers about, and we feel it is our responsibility to make other consumers aware of this, and also to get Lexus to fix this problem as their motto indicates "we pursue perfection" . Thanks for your input. Just for he record it is not just the seats, it is the side of the door where your arm rests, and the middle console where your arm rests. I wear black leather jackets and it seems to be transferring on their also, or when anyone in the car wears blue jeans or dark clothing. It is all interior leather. Okay thanks again, I hope we get this resolved. Because I do love my car, I just don't want blue seats, and am afraid I will lose a lot of money when it comes time to trade it in. Talk to you soon, let me know how your situation turns out, okay? Lori
Old 01-17-03, 02:16 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

iamcdn ...

Did your previous Lexuses have light -colored leather?

I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying that it is a characteristic of some leathers (or their treatment) that they do not stain? If you poured a cup of coffee on the seat and left it for an hour or so, are you saying the leather should not stain?

Do some cows have tighter skin than others? I realize that I'm sounding a bit facetious, but I just find it hard to believe that any leather can be impervious to staining. Enlighten me if I'm mistaken.
Old 01-17-03, 02:23 PM
chitowngrl
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Yes I have had very light interiors and also have light grey in my bmw and wear the same clothes I wear in the lexus, why are there no stains on those seats. We believe it is the type of leather they are using. For some reason, it is absorbing dyes from clothes, somethin that doesn't happen on regular leather. I haven't tried to spill anything like coffee on there to see if it stains, but my guess is that it may. We even bought the additional simoniz protection and that hasn't done a thing to prevent the stains.

Also, I have had my seats cleaned 3 times already by Lexus and it continues to happen, and the dye is permanent, it reappears after cleaning, just like when you have your carpets cleaned the same stains come back a few days later. This is why this is important for them to investigate , because obviously this leather is defective and if they don't do something now, they will have many more complaints.
Old 01-17-03, 05:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I would venture to say it is because the quality of the Lexus leather is far superior to that in the BMW (I owned a 330Ci).

When I ordered leather couches for my home, the most expensive ones were the "natural", untreated ones. There are treated, stain-resistant ones, but they don't look or feel half as nice. Natural leather is the most beautiful, but it is also the most susceptible to stains. Same principle.

Good luck in your litigious mission.
Old 01-18-03, 12:19 AM
Carnaught
Driver School Candidate

Default keep in mind with

class action suits, the only one(s) to make money are the lawyers.
No offense to our esquires out there.
Old 01-18-03, 12:35 AM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uggh..

Unfortunately, I am finding the ecru leather to be a problem as well. It is very difficult to get clean(impossible in some areas). And the detailer said that the dark areas on the door/armrest and the middle armrest, are stained from clothing or usage. He was not able to remove the dark spots.

Next time I go to the dealer, I'll see if there is something they can do.

I think I screwed up. I knew the Ecru was sweet but I should have gotten the black for maintenance.

Ayyyy Carumba !!!

TjZ
Old 01-18-03, 08:45 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

I wonder if anyone with the saddle leather is having the same problems.

A friend of mine has an RX with ivory trim which is darker than ecru, but lighter than saddle and has stained the seat with a dark blue belt he was wearing.
Old 01-18-03, 11:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default No problem with Saddle

I've had my SC w/ Saddle interior for 4 months now. Blue jeans, navy shorts, black pants, whatever... absolutely no problems.
Old 01-20-03, 12:53 PM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps you are right. The ecru leather quality may be so soft
and luxurious that this 'helps' in stain transfer.
I was fortunate to drive an SC400 for four years with grey leather
having no wear or stain trouble.
I then had their GS400 with tan leather and hardly ever had to clean the seats. No marks or color transfer at all.
I recently drove their Sportcross for just one year and it had light
tan leather. Again no trouble.

As I mentioned I am having my ecru seat repaired with "new
seat covers" this Wednesday. I will update you all then.
Thanks,
iamcdn.

Quick Reply: Another new owner- Leather seat question.