SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LED backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 01:13 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Steve,

Amazing. Where did you purchase these? I might as well replace my back up lights with these and move them to the Miata.

Good to see your car again!

Mandy
Old 04-15-13, 01:31 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Steve,

Amazing. Where did you purchase these? I might as well replace my back up lights with these and move them to the Miata.

Mandy
Hi Mandy

Yep, they are a different class.
Got them on fleBay UK, but they do not ship over the pond. I ordered them on Friday and they arrived today, free shipping, amazing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906545619...84.m1497.l2648
Sure you will find them over there, but maybe not at that price.
I will be happy to get them for you and ship them over if you can't.
At $13 they are a steal and look so robust.

BTW Mandy, great DIY on the spark plug replacement.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-15-13, 01:55 PM
mandyfig

Steve,

Thanks for the offer you are so kind, I will check our fleabay here and worst case, yes it will be nice if you can send me a set.

As for the Spark Plugs, I forgot to take a picture of the stick coil that attaches to the spark plugs. I assume people are familiar with coil on plug application. There are no more distributors, a computer controls the firing of the plugs.

I just happen to have a stick coil handy as I used to manufacture the shell that these are made from. We mold the plastic that houses the primary and secondary wiring needed to deliver the 10,000 volts that is required (yes 10K volts).

This was for a Honda Accord but ours is very similar with a different connector design.

So here we go:
Attached Thumbnails LED backup lights-stick-coil.jpg  
Old 04-15-13, 04:30 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Steve,

Mandy
Hey Mandy, pretty sure you can get Cree bulbs on ebay here cos i bought a couple a few months back for my MDX. Good luck.
Old 04-15-13, 05:19 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Mandy

Yep, they are a different class.
Got them on fleBay UK, but they do not ship over the pond. I ordered them on Friday and they arrived today, free shipping, amazing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906545619...84.m1497.l2648
Sure you will find them over there, but maybe not at that price.
I will be happy to get them for you and ship them over if you can't.
At $13 they are a steal and look so robust.

BTW Mandy, great DIY on the spark plug replacement.

Cheers
Steve
Did you have to use the resistors?
Old 04-16-13, 06:37 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by OBP
Hey Mandy, pretty sure you can get Cree bulbs on ebay here cos i bought a couple a few months back for my MDX. Good luck.
Thanks OBP, have you bought your back up lights yet? Are you going with the cree?
Old 04-16-13, 11:54 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Did you have to use the resistors?
Hi Shawn

No, resistors are not required.
As far as I am aware you only need the resistors for the turn signals to stop the fast flashing.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-16-13, 12:00 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Steve,

Thanks for the offer you are so kind, I will check our fleabay here and worst case, yes it will be nice if you can send me a set.

As for the Spark Plugs, I forgot to take a picture of the stick coil that attaches to the spark plugs. I assume people are familiar with coil on plug application. There are no more distributors, a computer controls the firing of the plugs.

I just happen to have a stick coil handy as I used to manufacture the shell that these are made from. We mold the plastic that houses the primary and secondary wiring needed to deliver the 10,000 volts that is required (yes 10K volts).

This was for a Honda Accord but ours is very similar with a different connector design.

So here we go:
Thanks for the interesting info Mandy.
I am of an age where I am used to changing the distributor points and condenser.................

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-16-13, 03:40 PM
mandyfig

Steve,

You and me both, back then some thinking required.

I clearly remember our mechanic working on our 1967 Vauxhall Victor and 1968 Opel Rekord.

And later on, me working on my 1976 Mitsubishi Galant, adjusting the gap, sanding the rotor.

Oh yeah, been there done that.

Mandy
Old 04-16-13, 09:17 PM
OBP
Advanced

Thanks OBP, have you bought your back up lights yet? Are you going with the cree?
Back up LEDs on the SC installed - regular SMD 7440 size - mebbe 9 or 13 SMDs - they were pretty big. Looks great - more like yours now.

In case you want to use Cree on your SC:
Just a note on Cree LEDs I installed on my MDX back up lights: very bright but also very directional cos there is only one point of light. The sides of the bulb is a metal housing so no light emission from the sides. So my MDX back up lights went from being a yellowish rectangle to being individual single bright points of white light. Off topic but it did not solve my problem of not having enough light to use the back up camera at night in the MDX. At least I don't have to deal with that in the SC cos I do not have a backup camera !
Old 04-16-13, 10:21 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

the cree are really bright for back up ;lights I have a back up camera works fine for me
Old 04-17-13, 09:58 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by OBP
Back up LEDs on the SC installed - regular SMD 7440 size - mebbe 9 or 13 SMDs - they were pretty big. Looks great - more like yours now.

Just a note on Cree LEDs I installed on my MDX back up lights: very bright but also very directional cos there is only one point of light. The sides of the bulb is a metal housing so no light emission from the sides. So my MDX back up lights went from being a yellowish rectangle to being individual single bright points of white light. Off topic but it did not solve my problem of not having enough light to use the back up camera at night in the MDX. At least I don't have to deal with that in the SC cos I do not have a backup camera !
Great information, makes sense. I will stay with my 7440 LED's on the SC.
Old 04-17-13, 10:01 AM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrblister
the cree are really bright for back up ;lights I have a back up camera works fine for me
Makes sense- the SC reverse lights are low mounted whereas the MDX reverse lights are pretty high above the ground.
Old 04-17-13, 10:43 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by OBP

Hi OBP

I agree that the Cree bulbs are directional, but the 45 SMD LED's hardly illuminated the area behind the car at all, whereas the Cree lights up the whole area behind the car. When I back onto my driveway the area is flooded with light.
There is no comparison, in fact all the 45 SMD's did was let other road users know I was reversing.
You can see the difference in my picture (post #15) and that was taken in broad daylight.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-17-13, 10:44 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi OBP

I agree that the Cree bulbs are directional, but the 45 SMD LED's hardly illuminated the area behind the car at all, whereas the Cree lights up the whole area behind the car. When I back onto my driveway the area is flooded with light.
There is no comparison, in fact all the 45 SMD's did was let other road users know I was reversing.
You can see the difference in my picture and that was taken in broad daylight.

Best regards
Steve
I am with you steve the cree are really very effective

Quick Reply: LED backup lights