SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Parking Lot Surprise :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 06:21 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parking Lot Surprise :-(

Darn people! I got off work a few weeks ago and somebody had rear-ended my front rt. fender and took off.

Parking Lot Surprise :-(-fender1.jpg

The next Monday I went to Dent Masters in Tyson Corner (VA) and they quoted $300 + $75 for some paint repair. They offered a discount for doing other dings so I had some other ones done at the same time. They provided a loaner car while they did the work. They explained that they could do a lot but it wouldn't be perfect because of the way the metal was rippled over the crease. I figured it was worth it to try. After a few hours they called. All the other dents were totally gone - one from my son's bike's handlebar on the other fender, a few small one in the driver's doors, and two slight creases on the passenger rear fender - like new!

For the rt ft. fender problem shown in the picture, they did pretty good and about what I expected. If you look close you will still see some rippling in the metal. The paint repair at the fender edge didn't go too well so I still have to work on that myself.

Parking Lot Surprise :-(-fender2.jpg

Parking Lot Surprise :-(-fender3.jpg

I'll post another picture when I get a chance to retouch the damaged paint. Needs some primer, some filler paint and some wet sanding and buffing.
Old 03-19-13, 06:38 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to see that damage. Shame on the person who rode off.
Old 03-20-13, 05:50 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouurhhhh nightmare. Hate when people do that. Hope you get it all good again.
Old 03-20-13, 07:43 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking lots are a nightmare. I always try to park far away from everyone else to avoid those kinds of people who have no respect for others property. Best of luck on your repairs.
Old 03-20-13, 08:38 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately there are too many careless knucklheads out there. My passenger door has been worked on by the paintless dent repair shop once last year and again last week, and I expect more despite my care in parking away from everyone. They want to follow me apparently.
Old 03-20-13, 09:54 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Unfortunately there are too many careless knucklheads out there. My passenger door has been worked on by the paintless dent repair shop once last year and again last week, and I expect more despite my care in parking away from everyone. They want to follow me apparently.

I always try to park in back of lots, well away from all cars. I also take up 2 spots in back of lots that are pretty empty. . Being away from all other cars, taking 2 spots doesn't make e feel like I'm being rude or inconsiderate.

JR
Old 03-20-13, 11:43 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Its almost like the haters see a car parked away from others either taking up two spots or just parked really really close to end spot so you leave plenty of room for another car to park

Its like an invitation for the jealous haters that just want to damage your car. I have also noticed that when i park away from others and really close to the end spot . I sometimes find another car next to me like we are both trying to avoid someone from a hatefull act

I feel your pain
Old 03-20-13, 11:55 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the same reason why i always park miles from civilization and from time to time for some reason theres someone parked next to me...
Old 03-20-13, 06:04 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everybody! I figure if I want to enjoy the drive there's some risk but geeez some people! I'm parking off by myself as much as I can ... That day I didn't.
Old 03-22-13, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bend up SlvBullet, but it sounds like you are coming out of it in a positive way with far less bumps than before. I did the same when my car was backed into at the airport and am much happier with the look now because I had them take care of some other eyesores at the same time.
Old 03-25-13, 07:22 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Parking lots are a nightmare. I always try to park far away from everyone else to avoid those kinds of people who have no respect for others property. Best of luck on your repairs.
I always park 50 meters from the nearest car, drivers are jerks!