doh! dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 01:24 PM
BoZooka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy doh! dead battery

OK... I have a bonehead question here!

I left my trunk unlatched and now I have a dead battery. If you totally drain the charge is the battery ruined? Some have suggested that I hook up a battery charger and let it recharge. I don't want to damage the electronics of my car in any way. Is there any danger of this happening if I hook up a battery charger?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-02, 02:18 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default No Problem

I don't think there is any problem.

You have two choices. Get the car jumped and let the engine run (or go for a nice long drive) to let the alternator charge up the battery. Or put a charger on it and wait a few hours.

Many years ago, after (repeatedly) borrowing a small charger owned by a neighbor, I realized how handy these things are. They are not expensive and are available at AutoZone, etc. I have a small one that takes a while to charge the battery back up to full, but I understand that is the best way for the battery, anyway. I only have to use it once or twice a year, but it's very nice to have.

I never travel without jumper cables, which I have used more on other peoples cars than my own, but the space under the floor mat in the trunk cut out for the spare is an excellent place to keep jumper cables.

Now you know why. Even with a new car, stuff happens.

As for screwing up any electronics in the car, I'm no expert but (1) I've never heard of this happening and (2) the charger is doing the same thing as jumping the car and as the alternator. Just don't hook the cables up backwards. Call the service manager at the dealership if you are not sure. These guys have always been very helpful to me when I call with technical questions.
Old 12-17-02, 08:15 PM
V. Miller
Driver School Candidate

Us old guy's seem to know about trickle chargers, jumper cables, and even how to hook the jumpers to the battery/ground. It seems to be a lost art. I can only hope that I will go so long between dead batteries that I forget the basics.

VMX
Old 12-17-02, 09:44 PM
evictor
Driver School Candidate

Default No Problem

Six months ago, I had the same problem when I left on an interior light and was gone for a few days. I had the battery jump started and then drove for about 45 minutes, and the battery has been fine.