MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 06:07 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed the cover for my driver-side door lock seemed was loose and the door lock would move around a bit. Today, to my utter shock, I noticed the door lock cover was missing and it looks like I cannot see the door lock cylinder, worried that it is missing too!

Is it possible for the door lock cylinder to easily fall out of the door if the cover was loose?

I am hoping that the door lock cylinder is somehow physically connected to the door and wouldn't just fall out, perhaps it fell inside the door and I cannot see it. I haven't had a professional look at it yet, but if I am missing the door lock cylinder then I would need to purchase a new lock cylinder and have it cut to match my keys (huge spend, even with Sewell).

The images show what I am referring to, the dark image is an attempt to take a picture of the inside of the hole. The last image is a drawing of the door frame from Sewell with part numbers.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this? Is there a chance the door lock cylinder is somewhere inside the door panel?
Attached Thumbnails MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-1sjimw.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_20130212_170740.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_20130212_170808.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-schematic.jpg  

Last edited by jasone36; 02-12-13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 06:53 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mind you, I'm just guessing on this one and trying to be helpful. It's not shown in the Sewell pic but there is probably a screw that holds the outside escutcheon and cylinder lock in place. The screw is tightened, and removed, by removing the interior door panel. There is probably a hole for access with a screwdriver to get at this screw. If the screw loosened, or the plastic part it was screwed into broke, then the entire escutcheon and lock cylinder probable fell out on the road somewhere. Your picture of the inside of the hole suggests that the cylinder just inserted into the door release mechanism and wasn't retained by anything. Bummer. and just a guess.
Old 02-13-13, 08:37 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I appreciate the feedback, Bon. I am still hoping that somehow the lock cylinder is lodged in the door, and reading through this thread it seems that is possible:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...lost-lock.html

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-13-13, 09:14 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know for sure but I believe there is a u shaped clip that slides in from the inside of the panel . It fits into a channel in the lock cylinder and that holds it in. I am sure that the lock cylinder could not fallen outside of the door.

Buddy
Old 02-13-13, 11:52 AM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on this right now on my car so I snapped some pics for you.

Your lock cylinder has fallen OUT. There is no way for it to fall in. You DO NOT have to pull the inside panel to gain access.

If you open your door and look at the door jamb you will see this cover;

Pull that cover and inside you will see a T-25 Torx bit screw. This screw is what holds your lock cylinder in place and the outer trim cover on. You might be missing yours, as this is what came loose allowing your lock cylinder to fall out. There is a good chance your screw is still there because there are two "tabs" that hold the screw in place and prevent it from falling into the door. Again, yours may be there or not.

After your remove that black plastic cover you will see this T-25 Torx screw in the hole;

Here are a couple pics showing the lock cylinder as it withdraws from the handle.

When you get your replacement and have it keyed to your car, you can slide it in with the "paddle" flat. It will engage in the flat slot on the inside locking mechanism.

Keep in mind while your lock cylinder is gone, ANYONE with a flat screw drive can open your car!

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_0455.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_0454.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_0453.jpg   MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_0452.jpg  
Old 02-13-13, 01:14 PM
jasone36
Instructor

MLHawk, thank you very much for the detailed description and the pictures! This is extremely useful information and is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Before your post on here, I called some local Lexus dealers and got some crazy cost estimates. One dealer wanted 3 hours of labor at $110/hour saying they needed to take the door apart. Another Lexus dealer wanted 1.5 hours of labor at $110/hour saying they also needed to take the door apart.

It looks like the relevant part numbers are 6905224060 for the lock cylinder ($132 at Sewell with CL discount) and ~$10to - ~$20 for the color-coded plastic cover (also known as "the retainer"), plus the Lexus dealers quote ~$110 for cutting the cylinder to match my keys.

Using the information you posted here, I called an automotive locksmith and talked him down to $320 parts and labor. I explained that he wouldn't need to take the door apart and I can provide pictures proving it, and he agreed. Considering I am not handy with tools, it seems $320 is reasonable. Out of curiosity, if you don't' mind me asking, how much were you charged to cut the lock cylinder to match your keys?

The parts and labor for this job at the Lexus dealer was quoted as $832 (!)

Based on your advice, I have decided to keep my car garaged until my locksmith appointment.

Thanks again MLHawk! This community is awesome.

P.S. - attached is the image for this part of the car from Sewell
Attached Thumbnails MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-correct_schematic.jpg  

Last edited by jasone36; 02-13-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 01:56 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Glad it helped. I knew I had to tear into mine to see what was wrong and figured I might as well get a couple pics for you after reading your thread.

I didn't have to replace any parts on mine. I had all the pieces, but if you look at your third picture you see the flat slot in your door. The flat end of my lock cylinder for some reason was not inserted in that flat slot. It was just a matter of loosening, re-positioning it, and then tightening it up.

EDIT:

Also, tell your locksmith when he puts the color coded cover on to slip the right side under the lips I arrowed in this picture and then lower down the left side flat. Once installed and the flat engaged, pressing in on the lock cylinder and tightening the Torx screw draws both the cylinder and cover down tight into the handle assembly. Maybe a drop of blue LockTight on the Torsx screw will be good insurance to prevent a repeat!
Attached Thumbnails MYSTERY: Where is my door lock cylinder? PICS-img_0453a.jpg  

Last edited by MLHawk; 02-13-13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 04:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The best thing about this forum is when you stand on the shoulders of others you stand alot taller. I am constantly printing the dialog and the pictures of many of our great threads so if I ever need them I am good to go.
Old 02-13-13, 09:09 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Thank you for the additional clarification, MLHawk.

Best of luck with your project, I'm glad to hear that your project only consists of reseating the lock cylinder, versus replacing it. Best of luck with the entire car!
Old 02-17-13, 08:06 AM
jasone36
Instructor

UPDATE: The independent auto locksmith has jacked his price up by $50 to $375 for all the parts and labor, which is still substantially less than the $832 the dealer quoted.

Of course there is no waiting room at this independent place and the cashier looks and acts like she just got off some heavy narcotics very very recently. None the less, it's worth the savings!
Old 02-17-13, 08:19 AM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Jason the parts alone, discounted for members, from Sewell are about $120 (depending on the color and year of your car).
How much will your locksmith charge you to just key your new lock cylinder to your existing key?
I am certain you have the ability to install it yourself after he has done his work on the cylinder.
Old 02-25-13, 06:25 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! The first pic is one I posted! Lol.