SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Michelin A/S+ Run Flats or NON Run Flats

Old 12-11-12, 09:25 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Michelin A/S+ Run Flats or NON Run Flats

Ive searched and read almost everything about tires on the SC here.

I want to ditch the noisy and hard riding Dunlop Run Flats on my SC.

The tech at the local Lexus dealer said that the new Michelin A/S plus Run Flats ride as soft as standard non run flat tres. I also read a few reviews where SC owners have installed them and were pleasantly surprised at the ride. If this is true then these seem like a logical choice for piece of mind. I routinely drive a trip at night across South Florida Everglades where there is a 90 mile stretch of nothing but alligators and snakes. Having run flats would give me a sense of security.

The price difference is only about $40 for a set of 4, between the A/S plus run flats and non-run flats.

The other choice I've narrowed down to is Continental DWS, but of course these are not run flats. I do have a spare that I could throw in the trunk for those trips buy there goes the limited trunk space.

Any suggestions or recommendations? The few hundred dollars difference is not a factor to me. I'm looking for smooth quiet ride at 70-75 mph on straight highways, and reliability.

JR
Old 12-11-12, 11:34 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would always go Non-RFT and have a few bottles of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk. I'm probably getting Michelin Pilot SuperSports next summer, because they get the best ratings of all high-performance tires in dry and wet conditions. And I will also be moving down to Florida (most likely Gainesville as long as I am accepted) in July. Maybe I'll see your car around!
Old 12-12-12, 12:33 AM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the michelin supersports and very happy with them. I would not suggest using fix-a-flat since this will clog the TPMS and give you a warning light in the dash. I keep a tire-repair kit in the glovebox.
Old 12-12-12, 03:58 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
I have the michelin supersports and very happy with them. I would not suggest using fix-a-flat since this will clog the TPMS and give you a warning light in the dash. I keep a tire-repair kit in the glovebox.
I have used Fix a Flat and have not had problems with the TPMS.
Old 12-12-12, 06:52 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As is FLYCT, I am weighing the pros and cons of RF and NRF tires. Bridgestone also appears to have a viable alternative. I have recut-and-pasted the text of a thread I started (with no responses) last year. Members' thoughts/experience with these tires would be helpful.

''Autoweek (June 27, 2011) reports the results of a tire test with the headline “Easing the Pain: Bridgestone Run-Flats Deflate Harsh Ride.” It claims that no difference in ride was found between the new Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFTs and the standard version of the same tire. Smoothness and comfort are said to be virtually identical, with the RFTs showing better turn-in. The RFTs come with a 40K mile warranty."
Old 12-12-12, 08:09 AM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently switched from run-flats to conventional tires by dropping down to 17" wheels and Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/55 17 tires. The results are phenominal. The ride and noise levels are now close to a GS or LS. I bought the car with Potenza RE 050A's and they were very noisy and rode very rough. See post #27 about adding a spare tire here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-space-3.html Now that I've seen the results of switching to the Primacy MXV4's in 17's, it occurs to me that I may have been able to achieve the same results with the original 18" wheels and slightly narrower but taller tires, say a 235/45-18. Stock size is 245/40-18. So I went searching for more info, see: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes This tire seems to be a possible candidate. It is only 1/2" taller in diameter than the OEM tires, has a 500 wear index, fits the OEM rim width, is low rolling resistant, and has superior ride and noise levels (see the survey results). Frankly, I was surprised at the survey results for the tire! For those seeking a super quiet and super comfortable ride, this sure seems like a way to go. Has anyone tried this on the SC430?

Last edited by thombiz; 12-12-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 09:34 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thombiz
I recently switched from run-flats to conventional tires by dropping down to 17" wheels and Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/55 17 tires. The results are phenominal. The ride and noise levels are now close to a GS or LS. I bought the car with Potenza RE 050A's and they were very noisy and rode very rough. See post #27 about adding a spare tire here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-space-3.html Now that I've seen the results of switching to the Primacy MXV4's in 17's, it occurs to me that I may have been able to achieve the same results with the original 18" wheels and slightly narrower but taller tires, say a 235/45-18. Stock size is 245/40-18. So I went searching for more info, see: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes This tire seems to be a possible candidate. It is only 1/2" taller in diameter than the OEM tires, has a 500 wear index, fits the OEM rim width, is low rolling resistant, and has superior ride and noise levels (see the survey results). Frankly, I was surprised at the survey results for the tire! For those seeking a super quiet and super comfortable ride, this sure seems like a way to go. Has anyone tried this on the SC430?
That's pretty ballsy to go with Prius tires for the SC. I bet the gas mileage and noise are better but I have to have a little performance and those Primacy would just kill it, I would think. I remember reading a review of he FR-S and they came with Primacy tires and the writer hated them because they weren't aggressive enough. Then they switched the tires out and brought their track time waaaay down.
Old 12-12-12, 10:28 AM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure you figured out right away that I'm not concerned with Lap Times. I wanted my luxury coupe to ride and be quiet like the luxury coupe I purchased it to be. My hats off to the people who push the envelope and can pull .99 G's on the skid pad and put real fear into anyone driving a 930. I even like the look of the tall wheels and low profile tires, but I'm not looking at the wheels and tires when I'm inside the car, cruising to San Antonio or Houston. I sought and found comfort and quiet, at the expense of lower lap times, presumably. I can live with that.
Old 12-12-12, 03:57 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

im on my 2nd set of a/s plus non runflat. Got 40k easy on first set and just got new ones about 1k ago.

FWIW I dont think you can go wrong with either. My friend put the as plus runflats on her sc430 and i went for a drive w her and felt they were far superior to the bridgestone oem's that were on mine when i got it. I switched out immediately as i never felt in control of my car w the bridgestones.

I already had 35k on my non/runflats when i rode with her so it was a bit of an unfair comparison but i remember thinking i couldnt even tell they were that different than mine.

If you need piece of mind its as good an alternative thats out there i believe
Old 12-12-12, 05:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Non RFT. The only way to go.
Old 12-12-12, 06:30 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The price difference is only about $40 for a set of 4, between the A/S plus run flats and non-run flats.
JR
I have the non run flat A/S Plus's and really like them, but if you can get the new and improved run flats for such a small difference, why not, so long as they really are improved. One thing I did find with my old OEM run flats was that most tire shops over inflate them. If you keep them at or around the driver's door stated air pressure, they were not all that bad, actually fairly smooth.
Old 12-12-12, 06:44 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

RFT inflated on recommended tire pressure will wear unevenly. Also when you put low miles on these tires, the rubber will go hard and it all goes downhill. Uneven wear, rough ride, etc.. All for what benefit? Just because you do not have a spare and the RFT's do not deflate...

Now come on, failure mode is a flat tire.

A tire sealer and inflator, an AAA service or similar, and being careful on what roads you choose to travel...will mitigate the spoils of a flat tire.

Checking your pressure, condition of tires make a whole lot difference.

I still have a few ten thousand miles on my RFT's. So you tell me, I am so ready to dump it.

Wish I had 2K to splurge on. But working on it...

Still does not spoil the pleasure of riding the SC, nuff said.
Old 12-12-12, 09:59 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

Now come on, failure mode is a flat tire.
It depends on where and when you get a flat tire. It's now about 1am here in South Florida. We just finished driving across "Alligator Alley" in the dark of night. There is 90 miles of straight and level road with one maned rest stop at the Indian Reservation in the middle. We went through several areas of fog with limited visibility. A flat here could be life threatening.

Wish I had 2K to splurge on. But working on it...

Still does not spoil the pleasure of riding the SC, nuff said.
Quotes for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + run flats are coming in at $1,200 out the door.

You are correct. Riding in the SC is a pleasure.

JR
Old 12-13-12, 06:53 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

"RFT inflated on recommended tire pressure will wear unevenly. Also when you put low miles on these tires, the rubber will go hard and it all goes downhill. Uneven wear, rough ride, etc.. All for what benefit? Just because you do not have a spare and the RFT's do not deflate..."

I respectively disagree with this statement about unavoidable uneven wear. If you specifically give the proper direction to an expert mechanic, they can align wheels/tires for even wear, I have done this. Tire rotation and pressure are also very important to ensure one gets the most mileage from a set of tires.

Also, FLY has an '08 SC which has a slightly different suspension then the '02-'05 SC's. As stated previously, when my RFTs were inflated at around front door pressure spec's the ride was very tolerable, and that was with old, unimproved Bridgestone Turanza RFTs on an '06 SC.

In summary, FLY you've chosen very good tires, whether you buy RFT's or conventional tires, you'll be fine.

Last edited by sixonemale; 12-13-12 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 12:12 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Continental DWS is an excellent choice. I've been running them on my '02 SC 430 about 6 months and am very pleased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin A/S+ Run Flats or NON Run Flats