SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Apexi Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 06:15 AM
Pepster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi Throttle Controller

I just installed an Apexi throttle controller on my 2003 SC430 and all I can say is WOW! I've made quite a few modifications to the car and this was the easiest to install (5 minutes tops with no tools) and the best bang for the buck. Gone is the annoying throttle lag. It' like the car woke up from a nap after nine years. Way to go Apexi.
Old 11-25-12, 07:16 AM
Matthias
Driver

I too have the Apexi installed and have to agree. Very simple install and the benefits are great. I ran the switch all the way into the arm-rest I did not want to show another switch. Which level do you run?
Old 11-25-12, 09:12 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Whsts the Part number? Installation Write-up? What else do you feel different about the car?
Old 11-29-12, 06:50 AM
Matthias
Driver

It is called the "Smart Accel Controller". You need the appropriate harness with it, easily found in their ordering page at the internet. Install is really quite easy, unplug the old accelerator plug and plug the Apexi just in between pedal and cars original connectors. I found a spot for the small black box close by. Naturally as it works like the Blitz, it odes not change the power out-put in total, it just improves how responsive the car is. You have three level that improve and another two, if you were inclined to save fuel, which make it less responsive
Old 12-04-12, 07:15 AM
Matthias
Driver

Install is actually as simple as I described before, unplug the connector from the accelerator plug in the harness for the apexi. Plug in the car's original connector into the harness and make the other connection to the switch. As to getting to the accelerator you better are limber... I took of the panel under the steering wheel to hide the brains. There are three screws holding that one up. One is to the right, next one is hidden behind the parking brake release and the third one requires to take of the trim at the door (just pops out, but be careful as always with these trim pieces). You are free to pick a location for the actual switch. I hid it in the center armrest. That required to take out the control for the heated seats, the center-console trim and some fishing of the cable. You may not want to do that all. There are detailed descriptions how to do it in the several instruction replacing the radio. Good luck!
Old 12-05-12, 02:24 AM
Whitena
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some install pics from my 3GS, hope this helps a bit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ontroller.html
Most time consuming would be pulling apart the stock throttle connector and the rest is pretty much very easy then after you're done with the install and if you really need help with the programming( which is very easy as well) you can call Apexi technical and they will walk you through every single step needed, very well technical support by phone, kudos to Apexi for their tech service.
The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (04-13-23)
Old 12-05-12, 06:21 AM
Matthias
Driver

thanks Soaryn1981, will not help you any more. sorry you don't understand English. I just have no photos.
Old 12-05-12, 08:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

We all do try and help each other here. No reason to get angry because a member does not have pictures. Go to the vendors site that makes the device and see if he can help you.

Peace
Old 04-19-19, 07:26 PM
erndawg399
Driver School Candidate

how did u hook up d reverse wire?
Old 04-22-19, 10:50 AM
greasegun
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi
I installed a sprint booster on mine and you can feel the difference. It does not make the car faster just eliminate the lag when you step on the gas. And i switched to ECT power very nice.
Old 04-10-20, 02:29 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Default Bit late to the game but...

I was wondering if the Throttle controller is still worth it. I’ve heard mixed reviews. I drive fast all the time and the lag is annoying. Heard some controversy on the topic but I would like to make sure. Is it worth the money, or should I just put it on ECT mode and use the manual settings on the shift? Wouldn’t constant use of the shift mess up the transmission? Never driven a manual so when I shift I always shift early and I would rather not break my car. Thank you guys for the help on such an old topic.
Old 04-10-20, 04:28 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm very wary of devices that make wild claims but I can say that the Sprint Booster does almost eliminate all of the throttle lag and in doing so it really makes the car feel significantly more responsive, not just off the line but also when overtaking. Ignore all the claims for fuel efficiency and the benefits of various settings, the real benefit is that it opens the throttle quicker. My car isn't quite standard but I would not be surprised if it saved 3 tenths of a second off the line, it's that obvious.

Easy to fit in about 20 minutes including running the cable to a switch position of your choice. Mine is in the center/centre console next to the coin tray until I can find a better place for it.

Unplug the connector from the back of the accelerator/gas pedal switch. I used a mirror in the foot-well to see it.
Connect the Sprint Booster to the gas pedal switch.
Connect the original plug into the Sprint Booster module.
Secure the module in the side panel with cable ties or a similar fastening.
Then choose where to put the small switch and run the control cable from the Sprint Booster module to it.

Check the link below the picture and there are lots of reviews online.

The following 4 users liked this post by Neil E:
Pnuge88 (04-13-20), RENEGATE28 (04-10-20), Silver23 (04-11-20), WIL44 (04-12-20)
Old 04-10-20, 05:12 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neil E
I'm very wary of devices that make wild claims but I can say that the Sprint Booster does almost eliminate all of the throttle lag and in doing so it really makes the car feel significantly more responsive, not just off the line but also when overtaking. Ignore all the claims for fuel efficiency and the benefits of various settings, the real benefit is that it opens the throttle quicker. My car isn't quite standard but I would not be surprised if it saved 3 tenths of a second off the line, it's that obvious.

Easy to fit in about 20 minutes including running the cable to a switch position of your choice. Mine is in the center/centre console next to the coin tray until I can find a better place for it.

Unplug the connector from the back of the accelerator/gas pedal switch. I used a mirror in the foot-well to see it.
Connect the Sprint Booster to the gas pedal switch.
Connect the original plug into the Sprint Booster module.
Secure the module in the side panel with cable ties or a similar fastening.
Then choose where to put the small switch and run the control cable from the Sprint Booster module to it.

Check the link below the picture and there are lots of reviews online.

https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EkDzsSqRg4&t=43s/watch?v=1EkDzsSqRg4&t=43s
Thank you! I’m definitely installing this around the time I do my muffler and third cat delete! Thanks m8! 🙏🏽
The following users liked this post:
Neil E (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 12:13 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Look forward to hearing what you think.
Third cat and resonator delete will make it sound great without being too loud. Are you planning to fit an X pipe to improve flow?
Old 04-11-20, 02:56 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Default Don’t know too much about exhausts

Originally Posted by Neil E
Look forward to hearing what you think.
Third cat and resonator delete will make it sound great without being too loud. Are you planning to fit an X pipe to improve flow?
I did my fair share of research and wanted my exhaust to sound as loud as possible without losing performance or power. I found that by removing the muffler you get the nice loud exhaust note from the sc430’s v8. By removing the third cat I will be able to get an ever louder effect and some raspiness. If I were to remove the resonators I heard you lose a great amount of back pressure and in turn the car would run slower. Not to mention that would technically be a straight pipe. How do the H and X pipes work. I believe our Lexus has an H and by using an X the exhaust emissions flow better am I correct? Does the X pipe affect sound? Does it improve performance?

I was thinking of placing an electric cutout where the third cat goes. That would have been awesome! Choosing when to be loud and when not to. But I heard they don’t last, can leak, and eventually fail. Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Apexi Throttle Controller