SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top Gear: Worst Car In the World

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 06:55 AM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought so, and....you've piqued my interest. Googled Hammond. Turns out he's one of the presenters for Top Gear and is affectionately known as "Hamster" due to his small stature, hence the small rain boots and other insider jokes. I'm finding it quite amusing.

Last edited by thombiz; 11-25-12 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 11:16 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Naming the SC430 the worst car is a joke. What you take away from the show, is that they felt for the price, and ability, Lexus went in the opposite direction in nearly every area that they evaluate. The love Ferraris, and I have seen several episodes where the test car had to be towed off the track. Lighten up all...
Old 11-28-12, 06:33 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watch Top Gear all the time but after watching this piece I renamed her. We now refer to the SC as the Lousy *****. I just couldn't resist, think I will call her LB for short!
Old 11-28-12, 06:35 PM
sebtown
Driver

I watch Top Gear all the time but after watching this piece I renamed her. We now refer to the SC as the Lousy B****h. I just couldn't resist, think I will call her LB for short!
Old 11-30-12, 09:08 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked Top Gear until I watched this. Damn them!

(ok, the casette tape is pretty stupid!)
Old 12-03-12, 09:55 AM
tamblers
Driver School Candidate

Who cares what they think. I took mine on a 4000 mile road trip in September from Edmonton, Canada to California and back. The car was fast, quiet and comfortable even on twisty Hwy 1. Add in the complete reliability in a car that's ten years old and you can't ask for more. I drive the car in winter, in temperatures that occasionally dip below minus 40C and have never had an issue. A beautiful piece of engineering. Lexus should be proud of it.

As far as the cassette deck goes, it was a valid accessory when the car was introduced. Later it became a matter of the expense of redesigning the console and taking it out which they eventually did. I've never used it but it doesn't bother me that it's there.
Old 12-17-12, 07:54 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I sort of get it, given the price and the styling isn't for everyone. But toyota build quality and one of the finest engines ever made mated to a superb auto? Cmon, feels like they could have come up with something better then that.
Old 12-17-12, 08:54 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if they had picked a British Sterling, an old Volvo, or obscure Renault then it wouldn't have been good television or even surprising. But pick a Lexus and now that's ratings! That's what it was all about.
Old 12-17-12, 09:17 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed that the Wikipedia entry for the SC430 now mentions the "worst car" statement in the first section! Some joker had to highlight that. Surely isn't an owner.
Old 12-23-12, 07:15 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

They're comedians and they need to have a punch line and to be funny, it needs to be absurd. Listen to any comedian the best ones take an absurd concept and through long reaching analogies the jokes are based in their trying to make the concept plausible. To say a AMC Gremilin or Aztek, etc., isn't funny, because its easy to agree with and not absurd.

I loved my SC, but wished it had a manual transmission and that I could have tuned it to increase the power. Bullet proof and the hard top convertible was awesome. The only thing that bothered me about the car was how many 60+ year old women seemed to drive around in them. You know how when you have a car you notice other ones on the road. I used to get excited when I'd see another guy who drove a SC430 instead of a 60+ year old woman. I felt sort of uncool because of that and bought a 911, which I love.

I think the S/C is the best bang for the buck, fun, reliable weekend convertible out there. I had a Miata too, awesome car, but the S/C is a lot nicer and just great to have on a sunny day.
Old 12-24-12, 08:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ser67
Now I'm a Brit here in the UK and really rate Top Gear.

I do know they have slammed the SC some years ago not long after it came out - so its not got a good track record.

And to be fair, if I'd paid £50k+ for a new one - I'd be a little ticked off.

But mine (purchased last year) is now 10 years old, and I got it off ebay and its by far the BEST car I've ever had regardless of price etc....

It does have some suspension issues - but it still feels like a really expensive vehicle and we had the best euro trip ever this summer driving from the UK to the very south of spain (and back)- all in supreme comfort.

Crazy guys at Top Gear - but what can I say - totally wrong in every (almost every) way.

I think I'm gonna make a video reply !!!
Old 12-25-12, 07:10 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverSC
They're comedians and they need to have a punch line and to be funny, it needs to be absurd. Listen to any comedian the best ones take an absurd concept and through long reaching analogies the jokes are based in their trying to make the concept plausible. To say a AMC Gremilin or Aztek, etc., isn't funny, because its easy to agree with and not absurd.

I loved my SC, but wished it had a manual transmission and that I could have tuned it to increase the power. Bullet proof and the hard top convertible was awesome. The only thing that bothered me about the car was how many 60+ year old women seemed to drive around in them. You know how when you have a car you notice other ones on the road. I used to get excited when I'd see another guy who drove a SC430 instead of a 60+ year old woman. I felt sort of uncool because of that and bought a 911, which I love.

I think the S/C is the best bang for the buck, fun, reliable weekend convertible out there. I had a Miata too, awesome car, but the S/C is a lot nicer and just great to have on a sunny day.
Yeah - see the women too but almost all OEM (I mean their SC). One had some very nice TRD18" wheels. But lowering, body kit, larger wheets makes a lot of difference. At least in NVA haven't see any with mods.
Old 12-26-12, 02:39 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

hahaha I've just finish watching the DVD.

You know what they say, options are like a$$ holes, everyone's got one and only poop comes out of it.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-26-12 at 08:52 AM. Reason: working around curse censor
Old 03-25-13, 12:41 AM
Jesda
Driver School Candidate

It is an awful car, especially for the money, and you people are high as a kite.
Old 03-25-13, 07:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesda
It is an awful car, especially for the money, and you people are high as a kite.
Get back on your meds !

Quick Reply: Top Gear: Worst Car In the World