SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Embarrassing Features = Cassette & Telescoping Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-12, 06:54 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Embarrassing Features = Cassette & Telescoping Antenna

Having a 2002 SC430 has its privileges. It also has it's downfalls. Looking at the exterior and interior of the SC430 most people who aren't car enthusiasts think it's a very modern car (they think it's like 2008+ model year)... but then they see the telescoping antenna and they're like "What the freak..." and then the closing shot is when they see the cassette player... at that point it's all over, then they think it was a mid 90's concept Lexus which never made it to market I guess that makes it more rare and dare I say "exotic"... but not necessarily in the best way LOL

So my solution is simple, I keep the AM/FM radio off entirely (to keep the antenna from extending), and I also keep the sliding door closed to keep the stock audio system hidden (along with keeping the cassette player hidden). Luckily the steering wheel has audio controls which save the day! I guess my car has an image problem.

----End of Rant---- Thanks for listening

Last edited by jasone36; 11-07-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-06-12, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was never an issue for me.

I would like the headunit from the 2010 SC430 though...

Old 11-07-12, 08:01 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Doesnt bother me either. Any more complaints? I think you should just sell your SC and buy camry. You seem to be plagued with problems. All your posts are nothing but complaints. Is there anything you like about the car?
Old 11-07-12, 11:17 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not quite sure of your concern, GammaLex. Please feel free to not read my posts if you'd like. I try to stay on SC430 topics here.
Old 11-07-12, 11:34 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Lets play nice. I tend to see that some folks have more issues then other folks and we all benift from the solutions I feel this forum is the best. Everyone is willing to take time to help out. I am indebted to a lot of the members on the forum. I try to pay it forward so when I need help. I can count on our members for help. I also note that some of us have more tolerance for car quirks then others. I put on slotted and drilled rotors with axis pads and my brakes are a bit noisy . It does not bother me at all yet some of our members might find it offensive . I also keep my car like a garage queen only driving when I can put the top down there fore in 7 years i managed to have 7144 miles on my speedo . I am the original owner and have not had any issues other then a radiator bottom [ PLASTIC ] that started to leak under warranty .
Old 11-07-12, 04:22 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

My take on this and since my CD player went konk, I installed a Vaistech adapter.

Now I do not "listen to the radio" (The Corrs). The cover is shut. I listen to the Corrs on my I Touch.

Works well for me.

Originally Posted by jasone36
Having a 2002 SC430 has its privileges. It also has it's downfalls. Looking at the exterior and interior of the SC430 most people who aren't car enthusiasts think it's a very modern car (they think it's like 2008+ model year)... but then they see the telescoping antenna and they're like "What the freak..." and then the closing shot is when they see the cassette player... at that point it's all over, then they think it was a mid 90's concept Lexus which never made it to market I guess that makes it more rare and dare I say "exotic"... but not necessarily in the best way LOL

So my solution is simple, I keep the AM/FM radio off entirely (to keep the antenna from extending), and I also keep the sliding door closed to keep the stock audio system hidden (along with keeping the cassette player hidden). Luckily the steering wheel has audio controls which save the day! I guess my car has an image problem.

----End of Rant---- Thanks for listening
Old 11-07-12, 08:46 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Doesnt bother me either. Any more complaints? I think you should just sell your SC and buy camry. You seem to be plagued with problems. All your posts are nothing but complaints. Is there anything you like about the car?
Take it easy, man.

I can understand his complaints because the owner's mentality tends to be more like this.
You complain less in 2012 if you bought a 2002 sc430 in 2001.
When you buy a beat up 2002 jewel of Lexus in 2012, guess what would happen? lol
Old 11-08-12, 10:01 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

No issue with the cassette tape & antenna. I use the tape convertor as a cheap alternate to play music from my phone & as blue-tooth. No complaints & I treat it as classic. Just like the analog clock on the console like infiniti.

I enjoy every bit of my SC, but nothing is perfect. My advice is if you feel embarrassing, modify it. Make it look right for you. If that's doesn't help, move forward & look for your dream ride.

I don;t the pie plate & runflat, I change it with Forgestar F05 & new rubber =
I don;t like it sit too high, I drop it with coilover =

Last edited by grabber2; 11-08-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-12, 01:22 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any idea whether ISC250 or ISC 350 short rubber antenna will be able to direct fit our SC antenna?
Old 11-08-12, 01:27 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda like my retractable antenna. It reminds me of the 90's and it's in working condition. Cassete deck is nice because it allowed me to play music on iPod without expensive kits. Another plus was that I was able to use it as a hands free set when using the phone. All you gotta do is turn on speaker and you have a hands free set, it worked on my SC400
Old 11-08-12, 01:43 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw someone selling an SC430 on Craigslist, it advertised the cassette player. "Listen to the 50s to 60s hits in your car!" Not the most appealing...
Old 11-08-12, 03:01 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm late reading this thread. So I can use a cassette adaptor to play my I Phone through my stereo system in my '02 Sc430?
Old 11-08-12, 03:21 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
and then the closing shot is when they see the cassette player...
Don't feel bad.
My old Buick still has the 8-track player hanging below the dash.
Tuners are always asking me "What you got in it ?"
Sometimes I answer 350-4 bbl..
Sometimes I answer 8-track !
Old 11-08-12, 05:12 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doc s
I'm late reading this thread. So I can use a cassette adaptor to play my I Phone through my stereo system in my '02 Sc430?
YES! You can even use it as hand-free set for you iphone. It worked very well when I had it. Person on the other side said he/she can hear clearly
Old 11-08-12, 09:00 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any recommendations as to where I pick one up and if one type/brand is better than the other?
Thanks! This will totally broaden the listening possibilities in my SC. I've been driving this car nearly every day for the past 7 years.
Has anyone tried the Sirius/XM SkyDock in their SC?

Quick Reply: Embarrassing Features = Cassette & Telescoping Antenna