SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

03' SC430 NOS Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 11:15 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mademedoit
After watching the youtube clip... don't do it like the video, seems stupid to just attach to the bottom of the air box for the nitrous would get the air filter all wet right

Should do it right and tap into the manifold.
I thought I was the only one that thought tapping into the air box was kinda odd, but then again I know nothing about nitrous. I just assumed it went straight to motor or gas line
Old 04-08-15, 11:20 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I guess I'm reviving an ancient thread but I recently discovered a video (linked below) and am very interested in adding NOS to my 2002 SC430. As some of you might know from my previous threads, I'm in Louisiana and this place, Cold Fusion Nitrous, is not too far away. Since they have experience with adding a Dry Kit to the SC430 in the past, I was thinking of going with them. I truly know nothing about NOS but the idea does interest me. They are quoting me at $1k for everything including a Purge Valve/Kit and a 5lb bottle that I would mount in the spare tire cubby. Additonally, I have a Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Ram Cold Air Intake. Does anyone forsee any problem with adding a dry kit with it? Not sure about any of the pros/cons of wet vs dry or even if any true damage can occur from adding NOS, but want to get everyone's thoughts on the issue. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Oh.. i also have a SpintBooster Electonic Throttle Control... any problem with using this with the NOS? Probably not a good idea to use NOS at the same time as the SprintBooster, right?
Lexus Nitrous Kit Installation - YouTube

I too am interested in this. It just that I get scared of all the hearsay. I don't know the cons of this but would like to know as well. $1K doesn't sound too bad for kit and install
Old 04-09-15, 07:41 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How does the car feel with the 50 shot? Have you observed any damage to your engine?
Old 04-09-15, 12:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Ahhhhhh, I just love a little laughing gas that some would call the "poor mans supercharger"

It does wonderful things to the engine!

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent "pre-ignition", or "detonation" (sometimes referred to as "knock").

Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure and temperature can cause problems such as melting the piston or valves. It may also crack or warp the piston or head and cause pre-ignition due to uneven heating.

If you really know what you are doing, you may be okay...otherwise, see below!

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-09-15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 07:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I REALLY wanted to do this! But the Honda video and fear of blowing my engine really has me shook. I don't know what to do. I feel like the Honda guy was pushing his car passed its limits. I don't think I would be so intense. Someone shoot me straight and talk me into this!
Old 04-10-15, 12:22 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I posed that question of how does the car know how much more fuel to give it. With no modification to the fuel system like increasing the pressure I can only see it adding fuel by reading the air mass sensor. I don't see how this can be safe at anything more than 50hp. I've done many wet setups and I think this is the way to go with this car. You control the additional fuel you give the car.
Old 04-10-15, 08:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Reading several forums from different car makes and models leads me to believe Nitrious Oxide will shorten the life of an engine and if not installed correctly, can destroy your engine!
It appears that the "dry" $300 systems will put you in the garage faster than the more expensive systems that provide fail safe mechanisms.

If anyone does this, please share some videos of your runs!

Forgive me for asking but why would you use an SC430 for this type of driving?

It may just be me, but I view these cars as a Luxury Sports Car, built for top down cruising, enjoying a high speed pass Down the interstate or a nice road with hills and curves.

Nitrious Oxide is a cheap way to make horsepower. If you really want power, rebuild the engine with high performance parts and add a supercharger or turbocharger. If they make them for this car.

This is only my useless two cents.
Old 04-10-15, 12:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The need for speed is so killer on our bank accounts!!!

And it's never enough ;-)

Rock on mademedoit! Everything you said is correct!

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-11-15 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 09:06 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

I wouldn't get it to race everyday, but it would be great just to have for those special occasions. Like this other day I was driving and this BMW 750 pulled up besides me and was trying to test me I would say. There was nobody around and couldn't even keep up with him. I would just want that little extra power when I need it.

Would a 75 shot damage the motor even if used with caution( as in not everyday use)
Old 04-11-15, 04:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

If you go with NOS, be sure to educate yourself on the how and why it works. Understand the different types of systems and the fail safes you can purchase.
These engines are very reliable in their stock form, but when you start adding things like Nitrious Oxide, reliability is gone.
After you read up on NOS, you will know the answer to your question Black... I will tell you this, if a cheap system is installed and you use it incorrectly, you could damage your engine on the first use...is that worth beating another car?
Old 04-12-15, 03:38 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
If you go with NOS, be sure to educate yourself on the how and why it works. Understand the different types of systems and the fail safes you can purchase.
These engines are very reliable in their stock form, but when you start adding things like Nitrious Oxide, reliability is gone.
After you read up on NOS, you will know the answer to your question Black... I will tell you this, if a cheap system is installed and you use it incorrectly, you could damage your engine on the first use...is that worth beating another car?
Yeah thanks for the input. Its not worth it just to have a little more horse power
Old 04-13-15, 09:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So I really wanted to do this NOS dry kit and purge kit but it seems like it's not in the cards. They were offering me a good deal but in the end my finances wouldn't allow it. Too bad I guess. I would have reported back here with all my results and opinions. Maybe someone else (who has a little more disposable income than I) can run this path if speed is of interest to them. Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts and discussion.
Old 04-14-15, 08:15 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am wondering if the engine and transmission can handle the extra HP. The stamped rods are known to be relatively weak.

Comments?
Old 07-23-15, 06:35 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wet Nitrous 50 shot

Been flirting with the idea of nitrous as well. Read about a Zex safe shot. Would a small 35 or 50 lb shot be considered low risk? What do to all think? Also heard that the ecu needs tuning with nitrous, which I'm unable to do (my understanding out ecu's cannot been modified)..

It's just so tempting given the large power increase, low cost, and doable install..

Here is a "safe" shot by zex, with shots available from 15 to 35 pounds:

Amazon.com: ZEX Nitrous 82357 Safe Shot Nitrous System: Automotive Amazon.com: ZEX Nitrous 82357 Safe Shot Nitrous System: Automotive

Here is the installation guide:

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst.../243-82357.pdf

All that's required seems to be drilling a hole after the MAF, inserting nozzle, running lines, mounting solenoid bottle. My concerns come with adjusting fuel delivery, which is in the instructions which I cannot do. Also, I'd have to take out my SRT chip to get back to stock ignition timing to avoid detonation...

Last edited by LexBrett; 07-23-15 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 09:22 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Just be careful!
Ya gotta laugh!

Quick Reply: 03' SC430 NOS Install