SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What to do with used motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 10:18 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What to do with used motor oil?

I know this sounds like a newb question, but I just wanted to make sure how this whole thing works.

I'm from Hawaii, and in Hawaii, they sell these "oil change boxes" everywhere. Basically, its a cardboard box with a plastic bag & some oil absorbing material inside. When you change the oil, it goes straight into the box, twist tie it up, and toss it in the garbage.

I just recently moved to Vegas and getting ready to change my oil for the first time on my SC here. I just realized that I didn't see any "oil change boxes" at my parts store. I do remember seeing plastic pans that can be used to drain the oil, but then what? What do you do with the oil after? I'm guessing recycling it, but does that mean I need to buy some kind of special container to hold the oil?
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-12, 10:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Bring it to a recycling station, a local BM Auto store should accept it.
Old 10-21-12, 11:35 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, most brick & mortar auto shop stores should take it free of charge, I think.

Here in GA, Firestone will even take it.

ds
Old 10-21-12, 02:25 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mischievious GS
I know this sounds like a newb question, but I just wanted to make sure how this whole thing works.

I'm from Hawaii, and in Hawaii, they sell these "oil change boxes" everywhere. Basically, its a cardboard box with a plastic bag & some oil absorbing material inside. When you change the oil, it goes straight into the box, twist tie it up, and toss it in the garbage.

I just recently moved to Vegas and getting ready to change my oil for the first time on my SC here. I just realized that I didn't see any "oil change boxes" at my parts store. I do remember seeing plastic pans that can be used to drain the oil, but then what? What do you do with the oil after? I'm guessing recycling it, but does that mean I need to buy some kind of special container to hold the oil?
Quite a few automotive retails will recycle oil. I take mine to Walmart.
http://www.commtank.com/used-oil-rec...ma-project.php

I use this disposal can to transport the oil for recycling.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear-...l-Can/20440560

I also use this type of plastic bin to put the disposal can into along with some newspapers to soak up any drips off the disposal can. Two containers gives double protection in case a sudden swerve or panic stop while driving tips the disposal can.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/17164544
Old 10-21-12, 02:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In most states anyplace that changes and sells oil also has to accept used oil. I change my own oil. I have a covered drain pan purchased from walmart that collects the oil and then I fill a used milk jug or old empty gallon oil jug with the old oil and take it back to Walmart or some other oil change place.