Default Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV

First time at the track tomorrow

Details to follow!
Old 10-13-12, 10:10 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Details of Summit Point FATT

Wow - what a blast! The Friday at the Track at Summit Point, WV was fantastic!

I have never been on a track or done performance driving so I was in the beginner group and have four 20 min sessions on the track with instructor. There were two classroom sessions where we received instructions on the track rules and curve anatomy as well as Ocular Driving as well as learning the 'line' of the track. There was also a session on the skid pad for training in front or rear skids.

There were mostly high end cars there. BMWs, Audi A5, Porsches, Mustangs, Corvettes, Mazda 2000, Minis, Suburu, Hyundai Genesis, Camero, 1 Ferrari, 1 Astin Martin and other misc. I had the only Lexus although one of the instructors had an IS-F. Most of the cars were faster than mine but the instructors commented that my SC430 handling performance was great. Most of the drivers were about group 3 and 4 of Barcadi's age survey.

Summit Point MotorSports Park URL:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

This event was on the Summit Point Circuit which was built in 1969. It is 2 miles long with 10 curves. There is a 2900 foot (~0.55 miles) straightaway. I modified slightly the track diagram on their website. The curves are marked with large cones for the braking zones as well as smaller cones for the entry, apex, and exit of each curve. They are very helpful for beginners.

For each session the instructors evaluate from 1-5 your awareness of the track, your driving skills and safety attitude. In order to pass from the beginner group 1 to the more advanced group 2, you must have all 5's and approval of I think two instructors. Group two has a few levels the highest one allows you to drive solo on the track. There are times for 'seat time' where you can drive on the track without an instructor outside of the training 20 min sessions.

I used the PWR setting and transmission in 4 to prevent shifting into 5th gear and dropping the revs. With the accelerator floored, the shift to 4th from 3rd was just about at 6000 revs. I am really glad I started with modifications on the suspension and wheels. The handling was great. I smelt my brakes burning but they performed just fine and didn't fade; will upgrade them soon. On the longest straightaway (~ 0.55 mile), I reached 120 mph before I had to get on the brakes. At 120 mph I think I felt a bit of vibration but it could have been the tire's tread (all season Michelin) over the pavement. To get up to a higher speed in that distance I would need more HP and torque.

I can't wait for next season. The next time I go I'll have upgraded brakes, the PPE headers installed and a new exhaust. I know the SC430 is not really a performance car but with the mods it gets a lot closer and still has the original comfort and luxury.

The pictures below also show the staging area and a line-up ready to hit the track.

I'd love to hear any experiences and tips from other members.
Attached Thumbnails Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV-summitpointcircuit.jpg   Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV-img_0885_mod_sm.jpg   Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV-startinglineup.jpg   Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV-summitpointstaging.jpg  
Old 10-13-12, 10:18 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nice write up, glad you had fun.

I wouldn't track mine without the right mods.
Old 10-17-12, 09:37 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks fun, how was the handling?? was the SC easy to drive when push hard on track? I recently install Tein CS coil-overs and it ride's great.
Old 10-17-12, 07:09 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grabber2
Looks fun, how was the handling?? was the SC easy to drive when push hard on track? I recently install Tein CS coil-overs and it ride's great.
Handling was great! All the suspension mods were worth it. I've been told I needed to downshift and brake with the engine to help out the brakes. Also shifting up manually would be a lot letter than driving in 4 because you can stay in the torque sweet spot ... For next time. I am practicing shifting on my daily driving and it makes driving a lot more fun.
Old 10-17-12, 08:09 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome, now that you have the bug I am sure we can fix you up with some things to make the car last out there and you can hit open lapping days. Your car looks awesome BTW, there is something amazing about that body style when put into a track setting. That is why I am loving FD this year with 2 running haha. Thanks for sharing the experience and great writeup.

Most important brake upgrade would be a high temp pad, like the carbotech XP12 or higher up front. Track coilovers handle much faster as well to settle down the transistions. Great to see the lex guys finally getting out there, myself included.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-14-16, 01:34 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Hey are you still tracking at summit point?
Old 03-14-16, 09:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

October 2012...I sure was in the moment and then saw that this was 2012....
Old 03-14-16, 10:00 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

should come out to the April/May event
Old 03-19-16, 07:43 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Hey are you still tracking at summit point?
Sorry I didn't notice your post until now.

Yes I am.

Also been to Jefferson and Pitt. After three FATT sessions I started going to the SCCA events. I was at Summit Point Main last weekend. When I first went in 2012 I had few mods, and was very slow in the corners; my max speed at turn 1 was about 120. Now I am at 118 about mid straightway but with the Supra TT differential the speed limiter cuts off the accelleration. I am installing the Rev/Speed Meter from Apexi and am almost there - the manual is not correct but I'll have it ready by the next time out. I'm doing better now but have a lot to learn - planning to get a lot more seat time this year

Are you going to the April 22 FATT?

If you haven't done so, I strongly recommend that you get a BBK for the front - I am braking now for turn 1 between cone 2 and 3. Vs cone 9 with OEM brakes. StopTech has a great BBK fr kit for our cars.

Then work on the suspension - there's a lot to tighten up.
Attached Thumbnails Friday at the Track - Summit Point, WV-image.jpeg  

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-19-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 06:12 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Sorry I didn't notice your post until now.

Yes I am.

Also been to Jefferson and Pitt. After three FATT sessions I started going to the SCCA events. I was at Summit Point Main last weekend. When I first went in 2012 I had few mods, and was very slow in the corners; my max speed at turn 1 was about 120. Now I am at 118 about mid straightway but with the Supra TT differential the speed limiter cuts off the accelleration. I am installing the Rev/Speed Meter from Apexi and am almost there - the manual is not correct but I'll have it ready by the next time out. I'm doing better now but have a lot to learn - planning to get a lot more seat time this year

Are you going to the April 22 FATT?

If you haven't done so, I strongly recommend that you get a BBK for the front - I am braking now for turn 1 between cone 2 and 3. Vs cone 9 with OEM brakes. StopTech has a great BBK fr kit for our cars.

Then work on the suspension - there's a lot to tighten up.
No problem at all! Thank you for a well detailed reply. I am actually planning to go to an event in May, but plan to do some auto cross in April. Reason being cause of work, flying me in and out and I just want to enjoy some driving. I will keep it noted about the FATT on the 22nd though!
Old 03-21-16, 07:24 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRC350F
No problem at all! Thank you for a well detailed reply. I am actually planning to go to an event in May, but plan to do some auto cross in April. Reason being cause of work, flying me in and out and I just want to enjoy some driving. I will keep it noted about the FATT on the 22nd though!
What event are you doing in May? I am planning to do the SCCA event at the new Dominion track on 28-29 May if its a go. Trying to decide which event to do in April.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-21-16 at 07:29 AM.