Door/Wing mirror motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 06:43 AM
leighv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door/Wing mirror motor

Hi all,

I think I've discovered that the motor of my passenger mirror is faulty. The drivers side works great (so am ruling out the switch), but with the mirror removed on the passenger side - there is no movement on the up/down mechanism (left/right works fine).

The cost of a full mirror is expensive, so have been thinking about just changing the motor - but of course Lexus don't sell just these. Spare mirrors on eBay are looking also expensive. So I was wondering whether all Lexus's use the same motor, as these door mirrors seem to be a lot more affordable.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-12, 06:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

At the risk of saying the obvious Did you press the dash mounted switch over to the passenger direction . If
you leave the switch in the middle position then the mirrors will not move when you back up the car.
Old 08-22-12, 10:41 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Originally Posted by leighv
Hi all,

I think I've discovered that the motor of my passenger mirror is faulty. The drivers side works great (so am ruling out the switch), but with the mirror removed on the passenger side - there is no movement on the up/down mechanism (left/right works fine).

The cost of a full mirror is expensive, so have been thinking about just changing the motor - but of course Lexus don't sell just these. Spare mirrors on eBay are looking also expensive. So I was wondering whether all Lexus's use the same motor, as these door mirrors seem to be a lot more affordable.

Thanks.
This is a common problem, there is at least one thread devoted to instructions to remove and repair. Most common is the motors burn out or the nylon gears strip. I had this problem, bought a mirror on eBay, followed the instructions on this site to remove the mirror. I ran some tests along the way and found out everything was working fine. Not sure if the gears slipped or motor was not seated properly, but put everything back together and it works fine. I still have that extra mirror if you're interested in parts for yours. If interested, PM me.
Old 08-23-12, 08:49 AM
leighv
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did - but thanks. As I mentioned - mirror (not in reverse) will go left and right - but not up and down. This one does not go down either in reverse (drivers side does).

Originally Posted by mrblister
At the risk of saying the obvious Did you press the dash mounted switch over to the passenger direction . If
you leave the switch in the middle position then the mirrors will not move when you back up the car.
Old 08-23-12, 08:51 AM
leighv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donsmith
This is a common problem, there is at least one thread devoted to instructions to remove and repair. Most common is the motors burn out or the nylon gears strip. I had this problem, bought a mirror on eBay, followed the instructions on this site to remove the mirror. I ran some tests along the way and found out everything was working fine. Not sure if the gears slipped or motor was not seated properly, but put everything back together and it works fine. I still have that extra mirror if you're interested in parts for yours. If interested, PM me.
Hi - yes - got the removal and repair. As I mentioned, when I take off the mirror and then the plastic/nylon plate - but the protruding elements are intact. When I unscrew this and use the button to move left and right and I put my finger where the element was - I can feel the motor turning. If I do the same with the up down hole, nothing is moving - hence why I am pretty sure it's the motor. Thanks.