SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP - loud buzzing sound from dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 04:27 AM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember there are 4. They are not the easiest to get to but I did it so You can to. You will have to take part of the dash apart on the passengers side and then can access I think 3 of them.
The 4th if I remember right is located above the gas pedal area. Look on line for picture locations.
Old 08-09-16, 05:38 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Servos

Okay, Not too fond of taking the dash apart. I did take the Nav unit out and disconnected the TPMS so not a total novice. I'l check Youtube etc for photo instructions as you requested.
Old 09-23-16, 01:43 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Default Buzzing noise gone, but it was not what I thought

Having taken the dash apart a couple different ways, there was no way I could find to get at the AC Servo. At the same time, my CD changer was going out. Rather than going for an upgraded system, I elected to get my stock radio repaired. That took about a week. It was easy to take out. After having some minor difficulty with one connection, and a subseguent reinstall, all is working well. The noise that I attributed to the servo is gone. It likely was the CD changer all along. According to radio repair shop guys, even with the radio off and ignition key off, the unit is still energized. I figured it couldn't be the radio because it was powered off. Big mistake. Unhooking the battery was necessary to reinstall so the radio would not be powered before being securely mounted. So, it looks like misdiagnosis was my problem, not the servo.
Attached Thumbnails HELP - loud buzzing sound from dash-img_2486.jpg  
Old 09-24-16, 08:26 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you got the problem fixed. And thanks for circling back and letting us know the solution. That will help people searching in the future.

Can't tell you how many times I've searched for a solution to a problem (esp. computer) and found my exact symptoms, a discussion, then the OP never follows up. Frustrating! One of the things that makes this forum great is that people circle back and explain the solution.
Old 09-24-16, 10:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
Having taken the dash apart a couple different ways, there was no way I could find to get at the AC Servo. At the same time, my CD changer was going out. Rather than going for an upgraded system, I elected to get my stock radio repaired. That took about a week. It was easy to take out. After having some minor difficulty with one connection, and a subseguent reinstall, all is working well. The noise that I attributed to the servo is gone. It likely was the CD changer all along. According to radio repair shop guys, even with the radio off and ignition key off, the unit is still energized. I figured it couldn't be the radio because it was powered off. Big mistake. Unhooking the battery was necessary to reinstall so the radio would not be powered before being securely mounted. So, it looks like misdiagnosis was my problem, not the servo.
I agree JohnnyCake, thanks for circling back, good information to have.

Pardon my ignorance but why is it important to not allow the radio to be powered on before it was securely mounted?
Old 09-25-16, 08:44 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Great question Johnny, the same one I asked the Radio Tech. His answer was as as follows: The cassette tray is very fragile. Manipulating the radio into position (tilting, twisting, etc.) while the unit is energized may cause damage. The only way to "de-energize" it is to disconnect the battery. It sounded strange to me, but all is well now and there is not reason not to follow his advice.
Old 09-25-16, 11:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
Great question Johnny, the same one I asked the Radio Tech. His answer was as as follows: The cassette tray is very fragile. Manipulating the radio into position (tilting, twisting, etc.) while the unit is energized may cause damage. The only way to "de-energize" it is to disconnect the battery. It sounded strange to me, but all is well now and there is not reason not to follow his advice.
Good point, though the CD tray is energized while the car is in motion going over potholes and railroad tracks. Then again, why question success?
Old 09-25-16, 02:42 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Good point, though the CD tray is energized while the car is in motion going over potholes and railroad tracks. Then again, why question success?

just a thought, maybe it has to do with the angle of the unit. Getting banged while face down is maybe different. Who knows
Old 09-27-16, 11:13 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...another thing that might be considered, is that some units/radios use the mounting screws as additional ground to help eliminate engine noise. If this is the case with the Sc unit, mounting it while it had power, could possibly cause a power surge & cause damage to the unit