SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC owner - radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 02:39 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC owner - radio problems

I bought a 2008 SC 430 on Saturday. I also have a 2009 ES and love Lexus. I am having a problem with my radio which I believe is because of my iPhone 3G or Bluetooth. The radio stations are fuzzy and fade in and out. Today I tried a CD and the system sounded great. So then I turned off my iPhone and the radio stations sounded fine. Is there a problem with having the iPhone on with the radio and how do I fix it?

Also is it ok to but the roof up and down more than once a day? I am just leaving it open. Also do you all leave yours open in parking lots unattended?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-12, 04:23 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juli
Also do you all leave yours open in parking lots unattended?

Thanks!
Are you kidding? I never do that!

some jealous or inconsiderate guys (kids) may throw you some cigarette butts or something even worse.... I heard that happened to someone before. Don't do it.
Old 06-14-12, 05:39 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Are you listening to AM or FM radio? That is a new issue to me, other than in areas where the stations are weak.

Lots of folks open and close their tops every chance they get, multiple times a day. I always close mine just to keep hands out of the car for whatever I've left in it and also to keep birds away. For some reason birds seem to have a radar for my car, at least on the outside. I don't give them a chance at the inside.
Old 06-14-12, 05:58 PM
Juli
Rookie

Originally Posted by Harold57
Are you listening to AM or FM radio?
FM. It isn't the radio signals being weak. I live in a big city.
Old 06-14-12, 07:44 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

The next obvious question....is the antenna (passenger side by the trunk) going up when the radio is turned on, and down when the radio is shut off...
Old 06-14-12, 07:47 PM
Juli
Rookie

Yes, the antenna goes up and down.
Old 06-14-12, 10:28 PM
VVTiBob

Well the next issue could be a disconnected antenna lead. Was your purchase of the car from a private party or dealer? Was a warranty offered or included?
On the radio itself...when tuning to your favorite FM stereo station is the "ST" illuminated on the radio LCD panel. It should be near the top of the display, in a smaller font and between where is says "FM-1 and "CH" where CH represents channel 1 etc etc. If "ST" is not illuminated that is an indication of a weak station signal. Signals are affected by many factors, weather, terrain, buildings etc etc...However one potential, albeit one with a low percentage, may be a disconnected or bad antenna lead. Even though the car has two antennas supplying signal to the head unit, if the main Ariel is not doing its job, then reception will be affected. Is there a way to find out from the previous owner if the problem was known before?
Which leads me back to the warranty question.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-14-12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 04:59 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Even though the car has two antennas supplying signal to the head unit, if the main Ariel is not doing its job, then reception will be affected.
I'd look for the Lexus OEM stamp on the windshield to make sure the original owner didn't have it replaced with an inferior windshield.
Old 06-15-12, 06:20 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Juli
Also is it ok to but the roof up and down more than once a day? I am just leaving it open
I operate on this formula:

IF (Temp>52) AND (Sun=EXIST) AND (Drive > 1 mile) THEN Top Down

Means that the top goes up and down many times per day. Don't stress, enjoy it!
Old 06-15-12, 06:34 AM
VVTiBob

Johnny... You forgot to "add" the sum of your equation in your if, then, else statement above. It equals, in no piticular order...
Old 06-15-12, 08:09 AM
Juli
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well the next issue could be a disconnected antenna lead. Was your purchase of the car from a private party or dealer? Was a warranty offered or included?
n.
Car was purchased from a dealer. It was the controller of the dealership's car. We bought an additional warranty.

Also my fav station showed the ST this morning. The radio doesn't sound as good as a CD.

I will go look at windshield.
Old 06-15-12, 08:12 AM
Juli
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poqman
I'd look for the Lexus OEM stamp on the windshield to make sure the original owner didn't have it replaced with an inferior windshield.
Windshield says Lexus.
Old 06-15-12, 11:33 AM
VVTiBob

It's another if, then else equation! If your warranty covers the electronics, then take it in and have it inspected. Else to much fretting and not enough joyful driving is occurring.
Old 07-25-12, 05:12 PM
Elegal
Driver School Candidate

My 2006 SC had the antenna unplugged because they added a satellite XM unit. When I plugged the thing back in, all of my weak AM stations came back loud and strong...check that, although you say the antenna is going up already...mine was not.
Old 07-25-12, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Default Radio v. Disc Player

I've noticed that the CD player sounds a bit "richer" than the radio or the Sirius XM. I think it's the nature of the beast. But I listen to the Sirius unit at least 95% of the time...

Mike

Quick Reply: New SC owner - radio problems