SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 07:46 PM
jeffhull
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes, the panel is a standard "snap in" wall plate available at any computer store. The USB ports are female to female snap in parts. This is a 3 hole plate. Largest that would fit into the space. I think you can get an HDMI snap in also, if you use that feature.
Old 01-14-16, 08:26 AM
430texas
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Wires to Stereo

For the SC430 2002 model there is a sixteen pin connector to the back of the Radio coming from the Navigation. There are only 2 wires in it. Does anyone know what these two wires are for ? Why does the Navigation not work when you disconnect this wire ? I have an aftermarket radio and all works including steering controls. I would like to know what the Nav wires do and if there is a way to make the Nav work without spending $400 on the beatsonic kit.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 01-14-16, 08:38 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Jay, retro explained it in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ereo-asap.html
Old 01-15-16, 08:10 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Jay, retro explained it in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ereo-asap.html

It's not really a simple answer. The AVC-LAN bus is what it used to integrate all of the components. Each component has an address on the bus and each unit can become a master or a slave.

I haven't entirely figured out why the NAV system is so dependent on the radio. It really shouldn't need to care much about the radio other controlling the mute line. But I *think* the reason is that the NAV has no other electrical route to the NAV ECU on the AVC-LAN except through the stereo. It could be a simple matter of jumping that link. Currently, the connections are NAV display to A/C Controls to Radio to NAV ECU.

I'll look over the wiring again. It could be as simple as splicing some wires together to complete the network connection.

The radio actually has the AVC-LAN bus on all three connectors. In my 2003, it is using that 12 pin center connector. On the 2005, that connector is not used and instead it uses the connection in the 20 pin connector. Internally, all these pins are just connected directly together. That is why I was able to install a 2005 radio in my 2003.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-15-16 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ZMTLSC430 (09-06-21)
Old 01-15-16, 08:19 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Bingo. The NAV Display is connected to the center 12 Pin connector on the radio. The interface from the radio to the amp is using pins 5 and 15 on the 20 pin connector. And the interface to the gateway is using 3 and 6 on the 6 pin connector. So, without the radio, these lines are all disconnected.

Therefore there is no route for the NAV display to communicate with the nav ECU except through the radio.

Solution: Jump these wires...

From the center connector pin 9 should connect to pin 15 of the 20 pin connector harness and pin 6 on the 6 pin connector
From the center connector pin 10 should connect to pin 5 of the 20 pin connector harness and pin 3 on the 6 pin connector

This will complete the circuit from the nav display to the nav ECU.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-15-16 at 08:32 AM.
ZMTLSC430 (09-06-21)
Old 01-15-16, 08:26 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Bingo. The NAV Display is connected to the center 12 Pin connector on the radio. The interface from the radio to the amp is using pins 5 and 15 on the 22 pin connector.

Therefore there is no route for the NAV display to communicate with the nav ECU except through the radio.

Solution: Jump these wires...

From the center connector pin 9 should connect to pin 15 of the 22 pin connector harness
From the center connector pin 10 should connect to pin 5 of the 22 pin connector harness

This will complete the circuit from the nav display to the nav ECU.
Retro, you're awesome
Old 01-15-16, 08:39 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Retro, you're awesome
We can't say I am awesome yet until someone confirms that it works. But I am fairly certain that should fix it. I don't see anything about the radio that should really matter to the Nav system. The nav has its own amp which controls the mute line and volume of the main amp all by itself. It depends on what types of messages are being passed around on the AVC-LAN. There could be a check for the presence of the radio, for example, and the Nav may shut down if it doesn't answer.

Jay or someone else with an after-market system will need to try it and confirm.

In one way, it would suck if that is all it is. Those interface boxes to regain nav function are kinda expensive. Wouldn't that be something if it was really just a few jumpers?

Edit: It is possible that a couple of resistors need to be added to provide termination. The chip in the radio has this termination built in. If just jumpering the wires doesn't work, let me know and I'll show how to add the resistors.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-15-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 01:57 PM
realjack
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A resistor was used in a different model for a similar purpose

Thanks for the excellent engineering knowledge and explanations for the strategy of the by pass.

I know a resistor was used between pin 9 and 10 on a different model. Please comment again.
Thanks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...tra998159s.png

http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...-8159S_web.pdf
Old 05-10-16, 02:01 PM
realjack
Driver School Candidate

BTW, you would loose sound to the NAV unit if the resistor by pass was used as illustrated in the metra kit.

MattInLex (05-16-20)
Old 05-13-16, 12:47 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by realjack
BTW, you would loose sound to the NAV unit if the resistor by pass was used as illustrated in the metra kit.

Are you sure this is applicable to the SC430? According to the wiring diagram for the SC430 (at least mine), the NAV uses its own amplifier to the driver's side speaker and has its own MUTE line to the radio AMP. It also physically switches out that single speaker from the radio amp when it connects itself (the radio speaker wire has to go through the navigation amplifier.

Other models, especially with newer generation NAV systems and radios might do things differently. But according to my 2003 SC430, I can't see any reason the Nav sound would stop working with the bypass.

I am currently studying this part of the system as I am planning to add some other audio sources to the system and plan to route them through the navigation AMP.

Also, different than the manual you attached, you couldn't simply add the resistor across the wires, you also need to tie those wires to one of the other AVC-LAN buses to complete the circuit.

It *should* work. I am very confident of it.
Old 05-21-16, 06:13 PM
realjack
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Do you mean:

From the center connector pin 9 should connect to pin 15 of the 22 pin connector harness
From the center connector pin 10 should connect to pin 5 of the 22 pin connector harness

No resistor is required? If it does, how to connect the resistors and what are the values of the resistors?
Old 11-22-16, 09:04 AM
JTepp
Driver School Candidate

Where did you get the matching wood pieces for the sides of your radio? I very much want to do that.
Old 11-22-16, 07:44 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JTepp
Where did you get the matching wood pieces for the sides of your radio? I very much want to do that.
....if I remember correctly, he bought a piece of woodgrain from a Sc off ebay, then cut it down to size, so it would fit around the radio
Old 04-28-17, 01:39 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Are you sure this is applicable to the SC430? According to the wiring diagram for the SC430 (at least mine), the NAV uses its own amplifier to the driver's side speaker and has its own MUTE line to the radio AMP. It also physically switches out that single speaker from the radio amp when it connects itself (the radio speaker wire has to go through the navigation amplifier.
Just saw this thread and have a slightly off topic question. How can you rewire the connections so that the sound from the NAV goes to radio amp and plays on all speakers instead of just one? (The reason for it is that I have a Gen 3 system with bluetooth phone connection and there is an app that lets you play music through a "fake" phone call ultimately making a bluetooth music connection. The problem is that at the moment it only plays from one speaker and the quality is beyond terrible. If I can reconnect it to radio amp and achieve a good sound this can be a budget way of having a bluetooth integration.
Old 04-28-17, 01:46 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alex2016g
Just saw this thread and have a slightly off topic question. How can you rewire the connections so that the sound from the NAV goes to radio amp and plays on all speakers instead of just one? (The reason for it is that I have a Gen 3 system with bluetooth phone connection and there is an app that lets you play music through a "fake" phone call ultimately making a bluetooth music connection. The problem is that at the moment it only plays from one speaker and the quality is beyond terrible. If I can reconnect it to radio amp and achieve a good sound this can be a budget way of having a bluetooth integration.

First of all, the phone audio doesn't go through the same speaker as the navigation. Phone output goes to the rear driver speaker.

To 'rewire' it would require a switch that could be operated off the mute line and mix the mono audio from the phone to the left and right input on the amp. However, I am pretty sure the radio tells the amp to mute during a call, so you would have no output from the amp. You would need to split the mute line coming from the radio to the amp to prevent it from muting the amp.

In short, it would take far more than just rewiring it. The cheaper/easier option would be an aftermarket radio, unfortunately.

Last edited by Retroplay; 04-28-17 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls