SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 02:21 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Not 4 Me

I've decided to go a different route. I decided to do what a couple of other members did and take apart the headunit. I removed the main circuit board and I'm in the process of installing 3 Alpine aftermarket units (Alpine IVA-D901, DVA-5210, and DHA-S690). My factory navigation still works. I put the circuit board in a freezer bag and cut a hole for the connectors. The bag is to prevent any shorts circuits by coming in contact with any metal surfaces. I have taken pics and will post them if anyone else is interested in going the same route as me. I also want to mention that for now I am using 4 old school Precision Power .2 series amps (A1200.2, two A404.2, and A600.2) to power aftermarket speakers and two 12inch subs. Now I can put the $430 that I saved into other mods. I will install a navi unit that allows me to put pics up on the factory screen but have to wait for it to come in the mail. Oh and thanks to VVTiBob for such excellent instructions on how to remove the headunit in the first place. Thats all for now. Good luck with your install.

Last edited by mtaalib3; 10-31-12 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 02:37 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone upgraded a 2006+ model? I'm looking to upgrade mine but want to retail the factory Bluetooth, Nav and full steering controls.
Old 10-31-12, 12:27 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write-up Bob. Nice with details and everything.

i was also thinking about doing this. But is it possible to have pioneer navi show on the top screen and normal audio control on the main pioneer screen? i have seen your pictures in this thread were both main screen and top screen shows the navi and also of course only the main screen showing navi. But what about the other way around? I like to have the navi on the top screen like original. But looks stupid with both screens showing navi.

Or like harleydjce says, is it possible to upgrade the pre 2006 model to the newer 200+ navigation? And how does it look?

The old pre 2006 navi looks really pixelated and old.
Old 11-24-12, 05:45 PM
Matthias
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the install of the Pioneer with the Beatsonic, everything works well and fits well, thanks to all the help here.
But now I would like to be able to control the Antenna so it not always is extended. Can I just put in a small toggle switch in the blue wire? Strange how things become a bother although in the beginning they were not
Old 12-03-12, 05:17 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Is there any other option i can do without beatsonic? i'm not looking to retain my navi function. Just want to install a double-din player that will interface with the existing amp in the car.
Old 12-10-12, 11:41 AM
OrlandoTee
Driver School Candidate

Default Upgraded headunit with Factory Nav-Loving It

Hi All,

Great information. being a single woman, I use this site to help me stay informed when I need repairs to my Sc430 and avoid being taken advantage of. My radio stop working and I read this post on the upgrade with the Beat-Sonic unit. Purchase the Beat-Sonic unit, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH headunit & Kenwood CM301 back-up camera and took it all to a local audio shop.

They spent 30 minutes attempting to tell me the items I purchased were junk and I should return them all and use their equipment which would not utilize any of my factory equipment or allow for the steering wheel control but procude much better sound. Also I should not be so concern with keeping the factory look to the vehicle.

So I went to another shop and had my items installed providing a copy of the instruction found in this post.

Thanks again all, loving my new upgraded system and factory navigation.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-logo2.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00112.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
HerbTarlek (09-17-19)
Old 12-12-12, 10:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

You are one smart and wise woman OrlandoTee. It looks like they did a good job on it. How do you like it so far?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-13-12, 05:01 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

This is exactly why I wrote the PDF on this upgrade and install ... I am pleased you were able to use it to your advantage and not swayed by the attitude or should I say arrogance of the people at first car audio shop. Guess they really don't understand the meaning of customer service.
Old 12-15-12, 11:26 PM
garybc230
Driver School Candidate

Looks very good Orlando Tee, could you provide us with a couple of pictures of your backup camera install, I'm thinking of doing the same and would like to see how it was mounted. Happy Holidays and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-18-12, 11:20 AM
OrlandoTee
Driver School Candidate

Default Back Up Camera

I attached a few photos of the backup camera. My camera has an adjustable view so the view button is located under the ignition switch some what hidden. Camera model Kenwood CMOS-310 with camera image located on the bottom screen. Asked about switching the image to the top screen but required more modifications which at this point I do not feel I need.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00114.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00123.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00125.jpg  
Old 03-30-13, 10:57 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

^sent OrlandoTee a msg hopefully I can use the same shop for this. Its about time for the update. Ill be doing this and probably headers as well as fenders with vents this year to go with the WALD. I was also considering a roof spoiler. I think I am most excited about the audio, I disconnected my rear antenna so I will be shaving that off when I go to get the fenders done.
Old 08-07-13, 11:12 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Default Upgraded Pioneer Head Unit

Looks like Pioneer has upgraded the AVH-P4400BH unit referred to by the OP. Here is the new unit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A02N3VQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A02N3VQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone see any reason why it would install any differently? Any pros/cons to using this newer unit? The P4400BH is still available thru some dealers as NOS.
Old 09-20-13, 01:04 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

has anyone else in Florida done this? I havent heard back from Orlando.
Old 09-28-13, 05:55 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I found out where OrlandoTee got the install done so ill be going to the same place (thanks!). I plan on buying this unit AVH-X8500BHS as well as the nav module for the unit. I like it because it has DVD, NAV, and APP Radio. Plus its compatible with Android and Iphone. Do you think ill face any issues with fitment on this unit? I know these are bigger than the 4XXX units so some of you suggested taking a dremel to some of the brackets.

Question is should I leave NAV Tool installed for the back up camera or should I hook it up to the new unit? I will be connecting the Sub in the back (aftermarket not the OEM Sub) directly to the head unit versus the hilow connector its currently connected to.
Old 09-28-13, 06:15 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Also are only certain models giving the option to use both screens? for instance new nav up top and a dvd on the bottom or my ipod/pandora or something? I feel like ive seen that somewhere.

Quick Reply: 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls