SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 11:57 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob is the man! I will look into this more after my car comes back from the shop. I have the upgraded head unit and just need the wires to make the steering buttons functional as well as the stock navi screen. You will be hearing from me lol.
Old 05-26-12, 03:18 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
For the past month I've been enjoying my new state-of-the-art car stereo head unit.

Over the last few years I, like many others, have been frustrated by the lack of a reasonable upgrade for our car stereos. I wanted many of the new technological bells and whistles but really did not want to dip into my HELOC to fund it. I also did not feel it was necessary to get new amp(s), or speakers. I know many of you will say...Huh! But come on folks, I drive most of the time with the top down, our equipment is fine IMO.

I also wanted my steering wheel controls to function. But each time I began a search for a solution it failed at this point until BEATSONIC came up with a NEW solution.

I spoke to Eric Kwon at Beatsonic, a CL sponsor, and ordered their NEW MVA-12L (02-04 SC430 compatible) adapter with steering wheel control interface. Eric got me a prototype to try but he also swore me to secrecy until their official announcement. I ordered a 2012 Pioneer AVH-P4400-BH double DIN receiver, a Pioneer Sat Receiver and their USB/iPOD/iPhone cable adapter.
The unit received rave reviews coming out the Las Vegas Comsumer Electronics Show as huge improvement over their 2011 line-up.

Yesterday, Friday, May 18th BeatSonic finally make the official announcement for the new products. Besides the 12L they also added the MVA-13L which works with SC430 models built between years 05-09.

I am very please with the upgrade and the performance of BeatSonic's new adapter. While not all steering wheel functions work, (MODE does not) the important ones for me do. But let me add, since my 02 does NOT have an OEM phone module, I cannot comment on any of those features, other than to say the Pioneer phone and LEXUS OEM NAV systems work perfectly with the BeatSonic adapter. Sure there are a couple of quirks, some may call them features, but I adapted and overall it's a great product. Heck, what's not to be please about. I have a new state-of-the-art receiver, satellite radio, both blue-tooth phone and audio streaming along a few other features all at a very reasonable cost.

Below I posted a link to my cloud account where a PDF of DIY instructions as well as a review of the BeatSonic adapter is available for download. The PDF is chocked full of pictures and drawings for those who may want to consider doing this upgrade yourself. It's free to download from the site.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best getting some answers for you.

PDF: 2012 RADIO DIY INSTALL and review of Beatsonic's NEW adapter with steering wheel controls for 2002-04 SC430

Thanks very much for the write-up !!
Old 05-26-12, 04:31 AM
Lead Lap

With the exception of the before-mention volume quirks, the Beat-Sonic solution sounded good until i looked at the price $430 !!! REALLY? I expected it wouldn't be cheap but now we're close enough to a price point whereby i can add a 5-channel amp and put some more robust speakers in the coupe. Yes, i'll spend more that route but I'll get more also and won't be tethered to an underperforming, failure prone ML Amp with deteriorating speakers. $250 Seems more fair to me factoring in the normal costs for a dash kit, wiring harness, steering wheel controls and a lil left over for the video interface. Maybe a group buy would yield a significant discount.
Old 05-26-12, 05:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

That's a great point on the group buy. You should contact Beatsonic and see what they say/think about it.
Old 05-26-12, 10:10 AM
Lead Lap

That's a great point on the group buy. You should contact Beatsonic and see what they say/think about it.

I sent Beatsonic a PM requesting a group buy price reduction. I await a reply. Optimistically, I would pull the trigger on a $250 price point. But at $450 I'll buy a 5-Channel Amp and upgrade instead of repairing all my speakers.
Old 05-26-12, 10:28 AM
VVTiBob

But don't forget there are integrated wiring circuits which include other systems. Two examples are; the antenna and the NAV systems. You may have to abandon the wiring in place and pull new wiring throughout the car. In my specific case, as I wrote about in the DIY PDF, my upgrade was about accomplishing technology upgrades for the lest amount of brain damage.
I hope BeatSonic replies to your PM positively and agrees to a group buy which could benefit many CL members.
Old 05-26-12, 12:33 PM
Lead Lap

But don't forget there are integrated wiring circuits which include other systems. Two examples are; the antenna and the NAV systems. You may have to abandon the wiring in place and pull new wiring throughout the car. In my specific case, as I wrote about in the DIY PDF, my upgrade was about accomplishing technology upgrades for the lest amount of brain damage.
I hope BeatSonic replies to your PM positively and agrees to a group buy which could benefit many CL members.
Im actually a car stereo installer (professional hobbyist) so rewiring or installation won't be an issue. I have done custom installs with fabrication and fiberglass in cars that have been shown in large venue car shows. My coupe is the only car i haven't modified as of yet. So although i understand your motivation for plug n play connectivity my motivation is in the overall value and audio/video quality. I have a concern in making such a substantial investment that uses a 10 year old amplifier and navigation drive. Especially when I can get a Navigation Headunit and have the most up to date mapping with a much easier way to upgrade the mapping program, that unit can be tied into the factory screen or have the factory screen replaced with a higher resolution alternative. Luckily for me i can do all the work myself and get the equipment wholesale. But with everything said, based on your write-up I'm impressed with the BeatSonic unit and i commend their research & development. I simply would appreciate a more volume based price point considering the interface is priced parallel to non-navi mobile video units.
Old 05-26-12, 01:06 PM
VVTiBob

Well with your connections...maybe you can be a distributor/retailer for their products if they do that. I think part of the problem goes to the conversion rate between the dollar and yen. Five years ago the rate was 120 ¥ to 1$ now its down 35% to around 80¥ to one dollar..With 16 trillion dollars of debt and still climbing out of control the dollar is taking a real beating. Nevertheless, let us know how it goes.

I just did a rough calculation..450 discounted by 35%ish ...the change in the exchange rate over the last few years, suggests the cost would be around $290. Just something to chew on.

Oh and the thought of having to route new wires all over the tight interior of the SC ....was just too much for these old bones and achey back.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-27-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-26-12, 09:07 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Pioneer, Beatsonic in ECRU

A million thanks to Bob for catching me before I put in the old Beatsonic. Here are photos of my Pioneer AVIC-Z140-BH. Photos show my Ecru interior with nav/radio doors closed. Backup camera shows on Lexus screen as does the original nav or the dvd in the new head unit (though i didnt show it). The new head unit has nav with traffic, dvd, HD radio, bluetooth, ipod control, APP mode from the iphone, Pandora, and AHA radio. The nav and all other feature have the option of tilting the screen. The bluetooth phone works flawlessly. Music from the iphone w/o a cord is sooo cool. I agree with Bob---Luxlink is NOW my SECOND favorite mod!!! Bob-Screen washout is taken care of with the tilt screen-I hope. Haven't had it in the sun with top down yet.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00683.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00684.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00685.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00686.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-dsc00687.jpg  

Old 05-27-12, 02:51 AM
Lead Lap

Looks good Solman! How would you guys rate the resolution of the factory screen playing a DVD compared to the resolution on the aftermarket units you installed?
Old 05-27-12, 02:53 AM
Lead Lap

Well with your connections...maybe you can be a distributor/retailer for their products if they do that. I think part of the problem goes to the conversion rate between the dollar and yen. Five years ago the rate was 120 ¥ to 1$ now its down 35% to around 80¥ to one dollar..With 16 trillion dollars of debt and still climbing out of control the dollar is taking a real eating. Nevertheless, let us know how it goes.

I just did a rough calculation..450 discounted by 35%ish ...the change in the exchange rate over the last few years, suggests the cost would be around $290. Just something to chew on.

Oh and the thought of having to route new wires all over the tight interior of the SC ....was just too much for these old bones and achey back.
I did realize the Beatsonic was an imported part..if so, you make a logical point.
Old 05-27-12, 03:46 AM
VVTiBob

John,
Congratulation!!!! Looks great. A few questions then a comment. Where did the installer place the NAV antenna? Does the Z140 come with a Satellite Radio receiver or would you have to add one like I did? Did you keep the NAVtool back up camera setup you previously installed or go for the Z140's direct reverse camera input?

Tilt did not do much for washout on mine. Maybe the z140 has a more daylight readable screen since it is Pioneer's flagship unit and has higher resolution than the 4400BH I installed. I expect a report.

Also, looks like you need to edit your "signature" lines, there's a new mod in place.
I couldn't resist on mine and added a new signature photo panel too.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-27-12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-28-12, 08:12 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Matching wood panels in place

Well, I now have my pieces from my dash kit as side panels for the new head unit. The rest of the dash kit is around the speakers, AC vents, key ring, gear shift panel, coin door, etc. I am happy with the looks and will leave it like that.

Bob-The pics of the antenna and mic are for you. At first I didnt like the placement of the mic, but now dont mind it.

Funny story-Lexus is replacing my back left speaker, but ordered the wrong one, so I have to go back this week to have the right one installed under the warranty. When I got the SC back from the installer, I had NO rear sound at all and under the sound set-up the rear speakers were blacked out. Turned out the steering control "mode" was adjusted all the way to the front--DUH! I am embarrassed to tell you how much time I spent on that.

This pioneer has the iphone apps, which is about the only thing you dont have, Bob. I dont know that its worth the difference in price but is a great alternative to XM.. AHA and Pandora pretty much replace XM for me without any fees. Facebook, Nav-Traffic, and HD radio are just icing on the cake. I still have nav tool for my back-up camera and use the second monitor out to the nav tool so I can also place DVD on the factory nav. Probably wont use it for nav anymore with pioneer nav/traffic. Very happy with my choices. and my 02 still has 3-years left on a 7 year warranty with no deductable. Thanks for all your help Bob.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-img_1757.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-img_1758.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-img_1759.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-img_1760.jpg   2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls-img_1761.jpg  

Old 05-29-12, 05:58 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the dash trim kit available through Sewell Lexus? I have trouble finding things on their website.
Old 06-16-12, 05:07 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried installing this kit today with a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and ran into a couple issues.

1) I get no audio at all. I think this is because I have an sc430 without navigation, and there is an extra plug with two wires on it in the beatsonic kit that connects to nothing on my car. I am going to contact beatsonic and ask what each wire does, so I can rig something up myself to make it work.

2) Maybe I'm just unlucky, or the 8400bh is larger than the 4400bh, but my door doesn't close flush. There's a noticeable gap when it closes.

3) One of the two side trim pieces lines up perfect, the other has a good 4-5mm gap. If I force the head unit over, i'm left with a small gap on each side which is betted but still kind of awkward.

Last edited by Z3NK1; 06-17-12 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls