SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

So far, very disapointed...(With Service Dept)

Old 10-30-02, 02:35 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So far, very disapointed...

With my service dept. I've taken the car in 2 times for the clunk/noise on the passengers side and after the 2nd time it's even worse. I also took it in twice for the drivers door vibration with the radio on. First time lasted 1 week and this time only 2 days.

Here's the kicker... when I picked up my car yesterday it had almost 100 extra miles on it and the stereo was CRANKED UP! I specifically said it wasn't a volume issue, it was bass, even at normal levels with a mans deep voice the wood panel would buzz. All I can guess is they were joy riding in my car all day. Then to top it off my drivers seat is smudged on the lower lumbar section with some black dirt, messed up my new dress shirt too! Andy they somehow messed up my cup holder where it scrapes and scratches the back when it opens and closes. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? Why were they touching my cup holder to begin with? No problems with that before! This is getting very frustrating!!!!!

The service person I deal with left a message to check on the service and see how everything was. I called her back and left voice mail to return my call without mentioning anything in the message and she hasn't called back yet. I'm gonna call again tommorrow.

They are so nice and friendly it's hard to stay mad but they keep making blunder after blunder and I don't think they care because they get paid for the warranty work anyway.

None of my Honda's ever had any problems like this from my '91 accord to my '00 S2000. So far I'm not impressed with the Lexus build quality.

Fulmitz
Old 10-30-02, 07:48 AM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to go in for my 1000 miles checkup. I will also be addressing the vibrations on the door panels. I know that it seems to be a common quirk with these cars. I have yet to experience the service department.

It is a shame that you are having so many problems with your service dept. / maybe it's time to bring it to the managers attention. Express your dissapointments, it sometimes helps when they know they will get a bad report card.

I will follow up after my service visit.
Old 10-30-02, 09:19 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never witnessed any other car dealer so concerned about what I think of them. And I agree with fulmitz - those folks fall all over themselves trying to be nice, but then screw things up.

My complaints are minor - when I brought mine in for the 5000 service, amp replacement, and new bushings, I told them not to wash the car. They did. And the parts department ordered the bushings from the second TSIB, not the third and latest.

I will be sure to include this in whatever comment form they send me.

Fulmitz ... next time you take your car to that dealer (if you ever do) tell them you charge $50 a mile for each mile over two to drive your car.
Old 10-30-02, 09:29 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, service is service wherever you go. I know we're supposed to expect the "best" considering it's Lexus but that doesn't always happen.

Here's what I do whenever I've taken any of my cars in:

After I've spoken to the counter folks, I ask who will be working on my car (they have log sheets for this). I ask to see that person and have a nice chat with him to show that I'm a decent guy. Then I thank him and slip him $20 and say " please take of my "baby"...........I'm really fanatical when it comes to my car".

The car always comes back perfect and clean as a whistle. Most times the tech that did the work will come over when I'm picking it up and tell me what he did. I've also been given their cards and told to call and ask for them directly if I have any other problems.

Monety does indeed talk.

Trust me guys, this works and is a fact of life.
Old 10-30-02, 09:40 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez, Larry .... after paying all that money for my SC, I don't have much left over for $20 tips!
Old 10-30-02, 11:52 AM
dingo
Driver

That's a good idea Larry!

I also make it a point to introduce myself to the service manager, the owner (if he is local) and other management types. If there's ever a problem I don't mess with the service writer I go straight to the dealership management. I never lose my cool - I just let them know what I expect in a very business like manner. Plus the more you drive home that you are a very picky person the more you'll get a reputation among all the personnel that they better treat you and your car right.

I don't tip the guys but I do seek them out and let them know I appreciate them working on my car.

fulmitz, I strongly urge you to talk to the highest guy at the dealership and stay calm. Ask him/her to personally drive the car after they "fix" it this time and to assure you that it will be/has been fixed.
Old 10-30-02, 12:27 PM
fulmitz
Driver

I will. I just spoke with my service rep and told her the problems as well as the cup holder etc. I also forgot to mention they didn't fix all the scratches they put in my car. I think they are too deep and I don't want the car repainted but still it's annoying to say the least. I also told her about finding my stereo blasting when I got in the car and the rattle being worse now then before. I actually think the rattle is in the seat this time. the rattle keeps moving! Before it was with or without someone in the passenger seat. Now it is only with the passenger seat empty.

It also seems that my stereo isn't as "vibrant" sounding as it was before they increased the insullation in the door. I heard it vibrate last night but nothing since then. It seems that only certain frequencies makeit vibrate.

Larry, I would never tip them when they already get anywhere from 30-60/hr on labor and it's warranty work. I spent 60k for a car with a 5yr/40k mile warranty, I shouldn't have to pay more! I never tipped anyone at Honda and never had to bring a car back multiple times for the same problem.

Fulmitz
Old 10-30-02, 01:01 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Well sorry guys, but that's my philosophy. I'm responsible for all phases of construction (among other things) for my company. I know how much more a nice word or a little grease can get you (a case of soda, a few pizzas, ice cold bottled water on a really hot day, coffee and a couple of boxes of Dunkin' DoNuts, etc.) This is life guys.

The dealership may be getting 60 bucks an hour but the mechanics sure as hell ain't. Remember, the "rich" guy that comes in to have his Lex serviced is stereotyped as being a snob to these blue collar folks. Just show them you're not and remember your own roots.
Old 10-30-02, 01:05 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Sure Ed...........you spend all your extra cash on gas just to drive to and from your garage which is 80 miles from your house !
Old 10-30-02, 11:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm a new SC430 owner (Silver/Saddle) and I've been reading about the various problems you've had with your cars. I bought my 2003 last month, so fortunately it must have the new bushings. No problem with rear end noise. I also haven't noticed any rattling in the door, but I generally don't have the bass set above +2. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

I owned a '99 SC300 and an '01 GS300, but due to a momentary lapse of sanity I traded for an Audi. Based on that service experience, I don't think there is anything Lexus could do to disappoint me. Try 4 hours for an oil change, waiting 1 week for a new tire from Germany only to be told that the parts dept. lost it, forgetting to wash the car, etc., etc.! Audi of America even called me to check on repeated service problems that I never even had!

Anyway, the grass certainly isn't greener. I owned an '02 A6 4.2 Quattro. You'd think for $50k you'd get decent treatment, but it didn't happen. The car was wonderful and I miss the AWD, but it doesn't compare to the SC430.

This is the most wonderful car I've ever owned, and I've already had 4 people tell me how nice it is. One guy (with an Audi) even asked to see inside. It doesn't get much better than this!
Old 10-31-02, 01:28 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Well, I'm bringing her back in on tuesday and a service manager will ride with me, however I've noticed this passenger rattle is different. I think it's the seat, but no the leather. I remember someone saying the wiring harness in their seat was loose. I'll have them check that out.

Anyone else have their stereo fixed only to find the sound dampened? Maybe this stereo thing is in my head but since the fix it doesnt seem as loud/clear/rich as before (not that I crank the radio)

Fulmitz
Old 10-31-02, 08:08 AM
dingo
Driver

dseag2: I know from whence you speak!

GM service is a great educational experience. I think early in everyone's car owning life they should buy a GM vehicle and deal with their service. It will teach you many lessons that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your car buying.

fulmitz: Good luck - are you leaving your test cd with the service mgr so he can use it to make sure they've got it fixed? I suspect the dampening sound is related to the placement of the dampening stuff they've put around the speakers..

I think you're on the right track - hang in there!

"Take no prisoners; Eat the wounded"!!

Last edited by dingo; 10-31-02 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 08:13 AM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Take no prisoners; Eat the wounded"!! [/B][/QUOTE]

ROFLOL.

Vicious
Old 10-31-02, 11:29 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Dingo, there is no test cd needed. You can have it happen with the radio on and a DJ talking with a deep voice will do it. Anyway the vibration has seemed to stop but at the sacrifice of some sound quality (or my imagination ) My main concern is the damn rattle, especially here in New Orleans. At last count the city had 51,000 pot holes! The problem being we're built on top of a swamp and everything sinks over time so the roads crack and sink. Tons of eneven pavement everywhere. I'll keep posting as new info arrives. I'm also very pissed about the milage thing.

A friend just told me one of his buddies used to work at the local Mercedes-Benz dealership and at luch he would jump in a customers car like an SL600 drive from the suburbs, uptown, pick up my friend go to lunch, drop him back off and then return to the suburbs. Very common for these guys to take cars and drive them around during the day.

Fulmitz
Old 10-31-02, 12:41 PM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

I had the driver door vibration problem as well. It took three visits to the dealer's service department (after each of the first two times I was told the problem had been solved) and finally a replacement of the door panel, installation of insulation, and a new wiring harness but the audio sounds great now.

It's frustrating to be told that a problem is solved when it wasn't and maddening to have to go back and forth to the service department multiple times. On the other hand, my service rep never even hinted at wanting to do anything except work on the problem until I was satisfied.

With 7K miles on my SC now, I'm getting far too many rattles from the roof (right rear, over my left shoulder) and the passenger seat--these appear to be issues that others have noted as well. I plan to bring them up with the service guys when I take the car in for its 10K service (if not sooner) and hope that they will be similarly diligent in identifying and solving the problems.

But make no mistake, this is still the best car I've ever driven, and I still believe that Lexus service stands alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So far, very disapointed...(With Service Dept)