SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is Dealer service a complete waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 08:39 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I sincerly doubt that they spend four hours on the checking. I would feel that two hours is more an acurate estimate.
Old 03-12-13, 08:54 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle bolts tighten or not...

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I see this item over and over again in the service manual:

Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts

How important is having this done or not?
Ever notice how the street lamp outside eventually falls off, vibration slackens the bolts and nuts.
There is minimal vibration therebut I have seen them get loose ang fall. Vibration on your cra at ..100mph, will be a deal more, the blots tends to run slack and can eventually fall off, even the whole plate. Fir the little effort time and money it is good to have the undercarriage check and tighten.
Hold on my mechanic told me it a waste of money and they do nothing to the undercarriage, they just charge, and he said he knows he was the fireman in a big shop for years.
Once I had said mechanic slacken a bolt, loose, sent it for a job undercarriage tighten up included. Yes the car came back bolt slack as I left it.
Manager called, all he'll broke loose.....
Lexuspcl88
Old 03-12-13, 08:57 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer always has been an will be my last resort... Find a local mechanic who others can vouch for an save the time/money an you can actually expect results
Old 03-12-13, 09:01 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Strut bar

Originally Posted by mrblister
I sincerly doubt that they spend four hours on the checking. I would feel that two hours is more an acurate estimate.
Dear blister,
U have a reall classy car, I have a gs300year2006'
U are quite knowledgeable so I ask you should I put on a strut bar ? I refer to the longbar of steel that goes across the engine from end to end bolted down to the shock top.
Also I have a problem wit my car the low pressure tire light stays on all the time, I inflate and initialize but it stays on. How do I find out exactly what is the priblem
Lexuspcl88
Old 03-12-13, 10:48 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default sensors

Originally Posted by lexuspcl88
Dear blister,
U have a reall classy car, I have a gs300year2006'
U are quite knowledgeable so I ask you should I put on a strut bar ? I refer to the longbar of steel that goes across the engine from end to end bolted down to the shock top.
Also I have a problem wit my car the low pressure tire light stays on all the time, I inflate and initialize but it stays on. How do I find out exactly what is the priblem
Lexuspcl88
I have a toms racing tower bar up front. I find that it helps to stiffen up the car from body twisting I also have the daizen front and rear sway bars [ No longer available for sc430 ] This allows the car to handle much better in cornering. Depends on how you drive if you need the modifcations.

The tire pressure problem is most likely one or more of your tire pressure sensors. The sensors have a non replacable lithuim battery in them. They usually only last up to 6 to 7 years, You will have to replace one or most likely more. Lot of members here disconect the device so as to not have to deal with the light and especially the warning buzzer you may also get. If you do a search on the forum you will find lots of information about how to disconect the devices receiver.The other choice is to spend the big money that lexus wants for the sensors as much as $ 170.00 per sensor or less + labor and then have to dismount all 4 tires install sensors then balance and re -install its a lot of work to go through.

Good luck

Last edited by mrblister; 03-12-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 09:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
Other than the tires, nobody other than the local Lexus dealer has or will ever touch my SC.

For $45 I get an oil change, while I wait in a palatial waiting room with free coffee and snacks, watch TV or browse on the internet. Or I can watch some of the best looking women. I am talking about those who work there, not the customers.

To compensate me for all that suffering, they wash my car, mats included. They dress up the tires. When done, they bring the car to the front of the showroom and hand me the keys: "Sir, your car is ready".

If Jiffy Lube ever does all of this for free, I will still go to Lexus because I get a documented service record. As a buyer, no service records no deal. Also, I will never buy a car from a guy who has a loan on it, but that is a different subject.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. What is your reasoning?

Today with money as cheap as it is It makes good sense to leave cash invested and finance. USAA rates are as low as 1.49% https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank...ucts_bank_auto And Penfed as low as 0.74%. https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Car-Bu...icker-02282013

JR
Old 03-15-13, 07:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

This is off subject but worth a look. Can you imagine if they stagged this at a Lexus Dealership with an sc430
While you were in for service

Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 03-15-13, 01:07 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
This is off subject but worth a look. Can you imagine if they stagged this at a Lexus Dealership with an sc430
While you were in for service

Check out this video on YouTube:
Off topic, but also fake. The salesman is an actor. And the driver was a professional stunt driver. NASCAR doesn't allow their drivers to drive in commercials or promotional videos.