Upgrade car horn

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 04:00 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Upgrade car horn

What is the best after market car horn?

I find that the standard SC430 car horn is next to useless.

I want one that sounds like a freight train!!!

Last edited by gripau1; 02-18-12 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 05:15 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Why limit yourself to freight trains? I don't know if it's the best, but probably the one that would get other driver's attention the fastest. Loudest car horn. The only issue I see with it will be the modification necessary to the car to get it under the hood.
Old 02-18-12, 05:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Back in the early 70's I knew a guy that had installed a steamship horn in his Buick Electra 225. He had twin scuba tanks permanently mounted in the trunk to drive the air horns installed under the hood. It was stunningly loud, effect like a flash-bang - people jumping sideways and ducking .... a thing of beauty to see.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-18-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 06:01 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

^ +1 LOL
Old 02-18-12, 06:49 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha, I didn't even know you could upgrade your horn. I'm not interested but that's funny.
Old 02-18-12, 08:15 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I used a stebel horn [ google the name ] very compact air horn with no compressor works great used mostly for motorcycles. I installed it where one of the OEM horns was then relocated the OEM horn to the other side of the grill that would be on the right side inside the grill if you were facing the engine. I ran a seperate relay harness to the battery and I used one of the OEM horn wires to trigger it. So I have three horns now . I also installed a engine mounted rocker switch so I could turn off the stebel horn incase i was parking in an underground garage and did nto want that loud air horn going off if some moron were to accidently trigger my alarm by a loud engine or else some other issue that would cause my alarm to falsely trigger. Some people might go nutz on my car if all three horns went off underground in a garage .
Old 02-18-12, 09:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I had a set of Hella Supertone horns on a previous Lexus but I thought the Hella's were pretty obnoxious and I replaced them with louder horns from a later model year Lexus.

I recently added the OEM horns from that previous Lexus to supplement the ones on my 00 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

The 4-horn setup on my 00 LS is now a little louder but doesn't make people jump out of their skins like the Supertones or the Stebel air horns I had on my Triumph S#itfire back in the 60's.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-18-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 12:08 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I had a set of Hella Supertone horns on a previous Lexus but I thought the Hella's were pretty obnoxious and I replaced them with louder horns from a later model year Lexus.

I recently added the OEM horns from that previous Lexus to supplement the ones on my 00 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

The 4-horn setup on my 00 LS is now a little louder but doesn't make people jump out of their skins like the Supertones or the Stebel air horns I had on my Triumph S#itfire back in the 60's.
I will look at the LS400 ones as the SC430 is useless when you need it most. Nearly got sideswipe yesterday and standard horn failed to wake up the other driver.
Old 02-18-12, 12:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
I will look at the LS400 ones as the SC430 is useless when you need it most. Nearly got sideswipe yesterday and standard horn failed to wake up the other driver.
I wasn't suggesting that you necessarily use LS400 horns. What I meant was that you could add one or two inexpensive horns to the ones your car already has instead of replacing your horns. I happened to have the extra LS400 horns so I added them to my currently LS ... and I kind of like keeping everything somewhat original.

The Hella Supertones are much larger and some of the Stebel are horns are even bigger than the horns on Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Are their auto salvage / breaker companies in NSW? You could probably buy some used horns and the wires you need for a song.
Old 12-05-12, 03:38 AM
jessica696
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you to buy horns from warning lights. They sells product at cheap price but maintain the quality. Because they maintain the product quality very strictly and they offers a good price. You will also get free home delivery.
Old 12-05-12, 04:40 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jessica696
I suggest you to buy horns from warning lights. They sells product at cheap price but maintain the quality. Because they maintain the product quality very strictly and they offers a good price. You will also get free home delivery.
They? Could this be the wrong pronoun?
Old 12-05-12, 07:25 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

"They? Could this be the wrong pronoun?"
Perhaps. If the antecedent, "warning lights," is a company (the link is to Warninglightpro.com, which does not identify itself as a corporate business entity), then the pronoun "it" would be correct. However, an entity which contains or refers to a group of individuals can often be used collectively, in which case the plural "they" would also be correct. (For example: audience, class, staff, cast, crew, etc.)
The sad fact of the matter is that people are terribly afraid to use a singular pronoun because they might be forced into actually using "he." Even when the antecedent is clearly male and clearly singular, you will see "they." (For example, "If one more San Diego Charger forgets their helmet, they will get a substantial fine." --- The correct words would be "his" and "he." It's one person, but "they" get a fine; who is the "they" referring? One person? It makes no sense, but you hear it all the time, especially on the telly, where you would think our best sportscasters would be know better.)
Anyway, in this post, "they" is acceptable since the reference is to a collective noun; "it" would also be correct, and in most cases preferred.
Next: let's discuss the misuse of the reflexive "myself" when "me" is the correct word, which is also routinely avoided.
I gotta go.

Last edited by tfischer; 12-05-12 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Delete references to the fiscal cliff.
Old 12-05-12, 08:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Hill Billy english
Old 12-05-12, 10:32 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting, but my point wasn't exactly grammatical.

He joined today and has made only one post that sounds a lot like a commercial, his user page says he drives a Ford, and he revives a long dead thread.

I think the correct pronoun is "we."
Old 12-05-12, 01:51 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Oh.
Well, then never mind.

Quick Reply: Upgrade car horn