SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Got the first ding today....Damn !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 08:29 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Got the first ding today....Damn !!

2006 SC430. Pristine conditon, NO dings ....until today. Wife takes her (new to us) SC430 to work 3 days and on the third day, she gets a damn ding......
Bottom line, has anyone used either of these two door guards which use magnets to temporarily attach to your doors when you park ?
One is doorshox.com fairly thick/deep for both sides, approx $120 with metal cable or
The www. thedoorguard.net for $40 ....

Here is the thing.... one of these has a metal cable which helps secure (doorshox) it, but, the SC430 is going to be parked in a school parking lot (she is a teacher). Anything goes in that lot. AND, there is a higher probability that the protective devices will get stolen.....

If I get the doorshox, if you yank on it, (the steel cable will likely scratch the paint , assuming someone tries to steal it.....

If someone tries to steal the cheaper one, I will more easily replace it for the price...

Any thoughts on which you would get ? Or, if you have had any experience with either of these products.
Old 01-11-12, 08:51 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
2006 SC430. Pristine conditon, NO dings ....until today. Wife takes her (new to us) SC430 to work 3 days and on the third day, she gets a damn ding......
Bottom line, has anyone used either of these two door guards which use magnets to temporarily attach to your doors when you park ?
One is doorshox.com fairly thick/deep for both sides, approx $120 with metal cable or
The www. thedoorguard.net for $40 ....

Here is the thing.... one of these has a metal cable which helps secure (doorshox) it, but, the SC430 is going to be parked in a school parking lot (she is a teacher). Anything goes in that lot. AND, there is a higher probability that the protective devices will get stolen.....

If I get the doorshox, if you yank on it, (the steel cable will likely scratch the paint , assuming someone tries to steal it.....

If someone tries to steal the cheaper one, I will more easily replace it for the price...

Any thoughts on which you would get ? Or, if you have had any experience with either of these products.
My advice would be to not take a car like that to a school parking lot. Sorry if it wasn't the answer you wanted, but I think that would be the most beneficial.
Old 01-12-12, 04:09 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ding. Can't say I've ever seen a car with these door guards. They certainly aren't attractive. I would be concerned about the dirt on the car when the magnets are placed on the car and potential scratching of the surface when you remove them. My wife was a teacher and she just parked on the outskirts of the lot away from the active parking spaces and bus route through the lot. Hope you can find a solution.
Old 01-12-12, 04:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

There's no winning with parking with schools. Statistically the odds are you will be hit.
Old 01-12-12, 05:00 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ding. Maybe it will be the last!! Hopefully! Can't help you with either guard. Then there is always the last resort. Permanent bodyside molding. Ugly but effective.
Old 01-12-12, 05:26 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is also a teahcer and she has never EVER asked to take it to school because she doesn't even like taking her daily driver to school...LOL! I think that's the best bet...nno more school parkinglots!
Old 01-12-12, 05:37 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you park a pristine Lexus in any typical parking lot without out parking on the outskirts or in an especially wide end spot, etc. you will get dings - and some may even be intentional. Many people just don't care about their car or yours and you are asking for it when you park a car 24 inches away from someone's car door. If you can't find a end spot or some spot way out in a corner than don't take that car. Nothing you can do to prevent dings except park away from other cars.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-12-12 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 08:42 AM
mandyfig

You can always get the dings out.
Old 01-12-12, 08:44 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

About a week after buying my car, I got a ding at work. It was even a wide space. Some people just don't care about other people's property. After that, I got it fixed with paintless dent removal and started parking further out. Since then, I haven't had another one in over 5 years. I'd rather walk a little extra and not worry about dings.

Can your wife parallel park on the street? Hard to get a door ding that way.
Old 01-12-12, 09:26 AM
mandyfig

Always telling the wife and kids, take the extra steps in parking away from crowded lots. In one ear, out the other...
Old 01-14-12, 01:20 PM
UnSub
Driver

Break her legs and she can park in a wide handicap spot.
Old 01-14-12, 02:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

There was an old cop show called Adam-12. Office Pete Malloy told a story about when he was a little boy and spent weeks making a toy sailboat. It was beautiful. He took it down to the lake with his friends and they had great fun with it in the water.

One day a huge gust of wind came and blew the sailboat so far away that they almost weren't able to retrieve it. So he put it on his shelf to make sure that nothing would happen to his beautiful creation and only took it out on special occasions.

He never really enjoyed it again.
Old 01-14-12, 10:43 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UnSub
Break her legs and she can park in a wide handicap spot.
ROTFLMFAO!!!

God, that's funy!! Not really, but you know what I mean.
Old 01-15-12, 07:49 AM
toxic
Driver

My 430 is a driver. Bad days and snow I have a jeep wrangler to drive and I put the car in the garage. That being said, if you drive it with any regularity you will get dings and rock chips. Just wait until you get enough and then make an appointment with your bodyshop to have them repaired. I had 18 door dings in mine when I bought it. For 150 bucks all of them got taken out, you could never even tell where they were. Wanna really get a cramp in your stomach.....I was driving home on the highway and a dump truck two lanes over dropped a chunk of asphalt that bounced 30 feet in the air, landed in front of me bounced again and came straight up the hood gouging and scratching after the initial dent. ***** happens....ya just gotta deal with it. Either that or lock it away in the garage and only drive on sunny days and Sundays.

TOXIC
Old 01-15-12, 05:14 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I ordered door protectors....

Well, not driving it to work is not a long term solution.....
She will not be taking it to work until the www.doorshox.com arrives.....
Its a trade off and should offer some peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Got the first ding today....Damn !!