SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 09:39 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Installed

I had some free time over the weekend and with temp's in the 70's thought it would be a good time to install the Daizen steering rack poly bushings. I purchased them from TM Engineering. I had access to a lift so install time was only 30 minutes. I followed the great DIY posted by GSteg on the GS forum https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html since they share the same rack as our SC's.

I have an 05 with 48K. I didn't have the steering shakes or vibrations like other members have experienced so I can't comment if it fixes that. What I did have was some free play in the steering wheel and the new poly bushings took care of that problem. The wheel wasn't sloppy but it didn't have a good feel to it either. The steering is now alot more precise with no excessive play in the steering wheel. After driving about 50 miles over the weekend, it feels the new bushings have "tightened" up the steering considerably. The OEM rubber bushings were in decent shape but were showing signs of wear...almost 7 years worth so for $40 and a half hour of my time, the poly bushings should last the lifetime of the car and offer better steering response. Pic of new Daizen poly bushings and sleeves..

Name:  4dedcfd3.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  30.3 KB
Old 12-19-11, 01:42 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good report - I was wondering about those bushings. Did you have any problem contacting TM E?
Old 12-20-11, 09:52 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Good report - I was wondering about those bushings. Did you have any problem contacting TM E?
I had no problems at all with TM E. They sent me a tracking # within 2 days and the bushings arrived within 5 days.
Old 12-20-11, 10:05 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the poly rack bushings that Sewell sells ($31.16 for Club Lexus members) the Daizen bushings?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2002/4558.html
Old 12-20-11, 10:29 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kjcole
Are the poly rack bushings that Sewell sells ($31.16 for Club Lexus members) the Daizen bushings?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2002/4558.html
The bushings sold by Sewell are made by Armstrong Distributors
Old 12-20-11, 12:15 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

What's the general opinion on the Armstrongs? Stick with the Daizens??
Old 12-20-11, 04:05 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
What's the general opinion on the Armstrongs? Stick with the Daizens??
I replaced mine with the Sewell's bushings and the rack is nice and tight. No play in the steering at all. Not bad for a car with 104k miles.
Old 12-21-11, 04:27 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I have had all my bushings replaced with Daizen's. The difference is night and day!
Old 02-28-14, 03:47 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, i failed..................... There is only so much time in a day after work. Got the front shocks changed (Bilsteins) and took the bottom shield off to change the oil and filter so got that done. I had ordered the steering rack bushings and on inspection they didn't look bad but I had $30 worth of bushings here so what's next, The back shield had to come off and then the crossmember. With the car up on jackstands I had about 6 inches of clearance to work. And you know what? Too much work. If the car was up on a rack it might be a 30 minute job but laying on the concrete I'll let the dealer do it. they won't install my bushings so they can put the factory ones back in. Live and learn.
Old 02-28-14, 05:06 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Well, maybe I didn't fail. I bought this 2003 used with 50,000 miles on it. While driving home I felt the wobble between 50 and 60MPH. nothing bad, I thought it was just a tire that needed balancing. Off I went to the local tire store for 4 tire balances. Wobble was still there. A year goes by and it is time for tires so figuring I had a bad tire I buy a new set from Tire Rack and get them mounted and balanced and the wobble is still there. A couple of years go by and the wobble is getting a little worse. Kind of annoying now so this time I purchase 4 new wheels from Tire Rack and 4 new tires. (Hankook) Car drives great, vibrations is still there. Okay. after reading everything in here about SC430 vibrations I start checking things out. Control rods look good,Ball joints look good, changed the rotors just in case that might be it. Vibration is still there. Okay. so now i am at 133,000 miles, 4 sets of tires, one set of wheels, balanced, road force balanced and still nothing. I can't find any play in the suspension. Well, it is time for shocks so I order up the Bilstein Heavy Duty recommended on here for the fronts and at the same time I thought I might as well try the Steering rack bushing fix. The shocks were a piece of cake to swap out (I have lots of tools) I noticed the old shocks had about 3/4 inch up and down movement with no resistance. Just like they were low on oil or something. Anyway they were both the same so I thought maybe they are supposed to be that way. They also were not gas charged like the Bilsteins as they collapsed into them selves when the spring was removed. Anyway. I installed the Bilsteins (Fronts only for now) and gave up on the Steering rack. Put it back together and washed it and took it out for a drive to air dry it off. 40MPH,50,60,70,80 NO VIBRATION. None, nada. Nothing. Slowed it back to 30 and slowly went up past that magic 50-60MPH area and nothing again. Drove it for about 20 miles at 50-55 and nothing. Looks like it was shocks. Maybe the Bilstein quality helps overcome anything else that might be wrong but I am a happy owner again.
Old 02-28-14, 05:38 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thats interesting... when i switch to coilovrs maybe that will solve my problem.. btw im not sure how high your stands go.. but I had th front end on stands on 3rd tooth... had enough room.. I put a screw driver in the old bushing and hammered few times and it came out.. new are very easy to put in! i suggest you give it another try!
Old 02-28-14, 08:09 PM
norman52
Intermediate

I just wouldn't gain anything that I want by going back under there. I was searching for the fix for the vibration and I found it. All the bushings around the steering rack looked like new. No oil or any thing on them. I don't drive at 10/10ths so perhaps I wouldn't even notice anything after all the work. Maybe next time I change the oil and filter and take the pans off I might do it then. And perhaps not.
Old 02-28-14, 09:32 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

im not sure if any vibrations would be felt with bad steering rack bushings but I just remember my steering feeling very unpredictive.. the wheels would be doing there own thing while steering felt very sloppy.. quite unsafe actually! but im glad you fixed your issue! I hope coilovers make things better for me!
Old 03-02-14, 05:51 PM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed my front shocks also but vibration @ 60 mph is still there. But mostly at first drive. dunno
Old 03-03-14, 07:04 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Norman52 - shoot me a PM if you want to sell those bushings.

I see in your signature you have a TR4. Hey my brother and I shared a TR4A in high school back in the early 70's. We were constantly working on that thing, but a blast to drive for a couple of kids in high school. Red convertibles are my weakness.

Kelly

Quick Reply: Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Installed