SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Group 48 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 09:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I wondered this myself, about the Luxlink being a possible culprit. I've read about members having issues with not starting after a week or so & this is an issue that I've never had (I don't have Luxlink). My car was a daily until 2 years ago,so that probably helped it from the "dead battery syndrome". Up until about a month ago,it would sit for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, but never an issue cranking. I just started cranking it once or twice a week, because it seemed noisier to me when it sat for awhile without starting it. I did some research (back when this thread originally started) and I can only come up with my Sc having 3 batteries. I know it had the original, I saw a replacement by searching my vin on the Lexus site (2007), then I replaced the battery in 2011
Interesting. My car is a daily driver. New battery, old battery, after a few days (less than a week), its not starting. Habious was the same way and I think Mister Blister too, all Luxlink owners. Like most Luxlink owners, I have a "Jump-N-Carry" in the trunk at all times.

Having said that, the Luxlink is still worth it a hundred times over!
Old 06-14-16, 02:01 PM
united9198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the batteries mentioned are made by Johnson Controls and most are imported. They make a lot of private label batteries for retailers. Some are also made by Exide.
For a very high quality American made battery buy one made by East Penn/Deka in Pennsylvania. You can get them at Auto Value, Bumper-To-Bumper, Federated auto parts stores, etc.
Old 06-14-16, 03:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

You mean we make something in this country!
Old 06-15-16, 03:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the Interstate MegaTronPlus (MTP-48/H6). Haven't had any problem with it over the year and half I've had it. I also have the LuxLink v2 on my 2002. Additionally, I should mention that I've changed all my lights to LED (from my research the parasitic draw can be partially explained by halogen lights getting partial voltage but not enough to illuminate the halogen bulb). I find that I can go a maximum of 1.5 weeks until the battery is too dead to start the car. Today would be 2 weeks (let myself get distracted to go out and start it around the 1.5 week mark), and went out to start the car and it wouldn't turn over and all the interior electronics were dead. Luckily, best investment i ever made was a Whistler JumpNGo from Walmart for $60 (easily found on Ebay, too). About the size of external hard drive. Fits in the back of the seat leather pouch. Gives 10 jumps, on a single full charge. Truly a great investment for anyone with an SC430. Connected it up, and it started on first crank. Drove it around for about 20 minutes today to build a solid charge. Hopefully no future problems, and will continue to drive it within the 1.5 week period.
Old 06-15-16, 10:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

I am a SC430 weekend driver. My battery went dead couple times. Each time, I connected it to the charger overnight and everything went OK.

I recently came back from 2 week vacation and of course, found out the battery went dead again. Charged it overnight, and it's fine. For last couple days, everything seemed to be OK.

Thinking it's the time for battery replacement, I went to Costco looking for Interstate battery cause I do not know when did the previous owner replaced the battery, or it could be the original.

But after reading this thread, I think it's common problem with the SC and not the battery. Thanks guys, you've saved me a hundred bucks.

BTW, anyway to tell how old the battery is?
Old 06-16-16, 05:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I am a SC430 weekend driver. My battery went dead couple times. Each time, I connected it to the charger overnight and everything went OK.

I recently came back from 2 week vacation and of course, found out the battery went dead again. Charged it overnight, and it's fine. For last couple days, everything seemed to be OK.

Thinking it's the time for battery replacement, I went to Costco looking for Interstate battery cause I do not know when did the previous owner replaced the battery, or it could be the original.

But after reading this thread, I think it's common problem with the SC and not the battery. Thanks guys, you've saved me a hundred bucks.

Usually there is a manufacturing date sticker on the side. You can also see if someone punched out the installation date on the top ( wont have it if it's a Lexus battery).
Old 06-20-16, 05:24 AM
united9198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I store my SC over the winter, I use a smart charger that automatically managed the maintenance charge. It diagnoses the battery charge level and automatically charges if needed. That way, I prevent overcharging which is not good. They make those chargers with several attachment options, Including battery terminal spring clips or if you like, terminal eyes that can be attached to the bolt that holds the battery terminals tight. They then include a wire that you can extend out to the grill and when you want to charge, you simply plug the wire into the charger cord. I have a Solar brand and a Schumacher brand and I like both. The SC battery will drain down without the smart charger.

A good rule of thumb on battery life is 4 years. If you keep it charged, it might go 5-6 years or more, but you would be risking a sudden failure. Storage batteries start deteriorating as soon as you activate them. Make sure you are buying a fresh date code because in some cases, they can sit on a shelf for 6 months or more and already be in decline when you purchase them.
Old 06-21-16, 03:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....so Gman, do you have a Luxlink unit ? It's just really intriguing that so many members have this issue & I've never encountered it.......but I'm not complaining...lol
Old 06-21-16, 11:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the Luxlink?
Old 06-22-16, 04:31 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the Luxlink?
Permits you to "one press" remotely open/close the top via the OEM key fob. Also, permits open/close top using the OEM interior switch without holding it down. Finally, has remote start using the OEM key fob.
Old 06-22-16, 06:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Permits you to "one press" remotely open/close the top via the OEM key fob. Also, permits open/close top using the OEM interior switch without holding it down. Finally, has remote start using the OEM key fob.
Also has remote start and remote top in same sequence. You also can lower the rear windows when ever you want up or down if you have the rear window option
Old 06-22-16, 10:19 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@GManSC - before you get too excited about LuxLink... they aren't made any more.

There are some knocking around on the secondhand market. Also Luxurymotorworks.com (the manufacturer) do have some first generation Luxlinks in stock. In their own words...

Currently we have a few of the first generation LuxLink’s available if you are interested.
The first generation does not have the one touch operation or the remote starter feature.
The first generation will remotely open and close your convertible top with the factory Lexus remote key

They are $250 + shipping & taxes if you want one. They are complicated to install. Do a search on this forum, plenty of info about Luxlink & installation if you look for it.
Old 06-22-16, 11:01 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway... back on topic... batteries!

Can anyone point me at any confirmed hard facts as to whether the SC430 cuts off the battery if the voltage falls below a threshold value? (to prevent too deep a discharge, and save the battery)
Old 06-24-16, 09:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I do not believe this is the case for the SC430.
Old 06-24-16, 12:30 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree with Mandyfig, I ran the OEM battery from 2002 until 2008. Around 2006, I had left the trunk unhinged and went out of town for two weeks. Returned and the battery was completely at 0 volts. Had to deep core charge it, and it gave another few years of faithful service. No built in safety, for sure.

Quick Reply: SC430 Group 48 Battery