SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

gps calibration after nav tool install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 09:51 AM
blakkazz30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gps calibration after nav tool install

has anyone encountered this problem before? i had my nav tool / reverse camera installed in my 04 sc430, after installed, the navigation display of the cars location is way off. after calibrating, it works until i turn the car off. when i turn the car on & travel appx. 2 miles turning 5-6 blocks, cars location is off again & doesnt get any better the more i drive. after encountering this problem, i purchased & installed 2011CY DVD Navigation, 11.1 Data Version, Gen 2/3 & still no luck.
Old 03-15-12, 10:43 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blakkazz30
has anyone encountered this problem before? i had my nav tool / reverse camera installed in my 04 sc430, after installed, the navigation display of the cars location is way off. after calibrating, it works until i turn the car off. when i turn the car on & travel appx. 2 miles turning 5-6 blocks, cars location is off again & doesnt get any better the more i drive. after encountering this problem, i purchased & installed 2011CY DVD Navigation, 11.1 Data Version, Gen 2/3 & still no luck.
I also installed navtool and reverse camera on my '02, but did not experience this with my gen 2/3 navigation. Best of luck finding this glitch
Old 03-15-12, 10:48 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Position is determined by making several calculation involving incoming data from two sources: The GPS antenna and wheel turns on the speed sensor... Sounds like you need to run the diagnostics on the GPS antenna and see whats up there first. Follow this link: GPS ANTENNA and read the thread.
Old 03-15-12, 10:56 AM
VVTiBob

Other questions...what map scale are you using? Have you tried changing it?
Old 03-15-12, 03:26 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your front atenna thats under the dash somewhere is plugged into the computer which is where the plug and play happens for nav tool, make sure its not loose. My GPS didnt work at all when I bought my car but warranty replaced it for like 1800 at the dealer...basically paid for the warranty. It was the front antenna that had gone bad.
Old 03-15-12, 04:37 PM
blakkazz30
Driver School Candidate

i have used the single screen map scale & never seen the reason to change it cause it works so well for me. tried the dual screen & still the same thing. this problem only started after i installed the nav tool / camera. i didnt want to do this, but i guess i will have to start from scratch. disconnect the nav tool / reverse camera & see if i have a faulty nav tool or rev. camera.
Old 03-15-12, 06:43 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the nav tool itself wouldnt change your GPS from tracking your car, its impossible the only thing it can be is the wire for the anntenna is now loose since its in the same area or just by chance your antenna is going bad.
Old 03-15-12, 08:21 PM
VVTiBob

Yep, robertrios, bring up a great point. Whoever installed needed to disconnect plugs from the back of the ML amp, the wire harness carries power for camera as well as the signal indicating the car is in reverse. There is a good chance there is an easily corrected problem.
Old 03-15-12, 08:25 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

When you say the NAV is "off" is it still tracking on the road or does it have you driving through fields?

I have a switch that disables my NAV lockout, so I can enter destinations while moving. Strike that. So my passenger can enter destinations while moving while I keep my eyes on the road.

After switching the cable that tells the NAV that we are, in fact, moving, sometimes it takes a minute or two to re-locate the car. In the meantime, the location is way off and the NAV seems to be taking the last point it knew about and then just applying distance and direction, so I will be going through fields, according to the NAV. Again, this self-corrects, usually in less than a minute, but might give you a clue for your problem, if the NAV says you are not on the road.
Old 03-16-12, 10:36 AM
blakkazz30
Driver School Candidate

when i say the nav is off, it shows me driving through fields while traveling. after calibrating, it will start tracking on the correct road entered. then, for some strange reason, it will show that im in a different place. im from louisiana, after stopping & restarting the car, while still in louisiana, the nav tells me im in a field in texas or sometimes mississippi and i swear im still in louisiana.......on the road! it will track real good for the first 2 miles or turning 5 blocks, after that.........
Old 03-16-12, 11:05 AM
VVTiBob

Four possible answers; Speed sensor, GPS antenna, NAV ECU,.....or LSD.
Old 03-16-12, 11:47 AM
blakkazz30
Driver School Candidate

laughing my *** off
Old 03-16-12, 12:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by blakkazz30
when i say the nav is off, it shows me driving through fields while traveling. after calibrating, it will start tracking on the correct road entered. then, for some strange reason, it will show that im in a different place. im from louisiana, after stopping & restarting the car, while still in louisiana, the nav tells me im in a field in texas or sometimes mississippi and i swear im still in louisiana.......on the road! it will track real good for the first 2 miles or turning 5 blocks, after that.........
Wow you have a time machine. Flux capacitor and it runs on cooking oil . Dont fix it ,

Sounds like an antenna issue . The navigation unit it self has two conenctors that attach to it . There is no antenna that actually plugs into the navigation . Unless the antenna is in one of the wires that is in one of these two connectors. The radio has an antenna that physically plugs into it . I am not sure myself how the antenna plugs into the navigation . Perhaps some one knows . I looked at the graphic of the parts that was in one of the threads and it shows the position and
location of the antenna. I can only see that they show a connection but its hard to see where it connects and to what I have had my navigation screen out of the dash and there is only the two
multi wire connectors.. I know that the GPS antenna is supposed to be the two wires that are embeded in the glass windshield. I would call a glass company that replaces windshields in our model cars and perhaps they can provide better information. I am sure thay have run into this issue when they replace a sc430 front windshield .
Old 03-16-12, 12:53 PM
VVTiBob

To be clear... the NAVIGATION antenna is NOT the two wire running vertically through the windshield. The NAV antenna is one, expensive, $600, and "b" a component mounted just under the dash behind the display screen.

It connects to the NAV ECU via antenna cable # 3, goes under the carpet, through the center console, under the rear seat, passing through the trunk wall behind the ML AMP and NAV ECU in the trunk where it connects. That data is sent by the ECU back to the display screen.

The wire in windshield is an auxiliary antenna to improve reception for multi-path radio AM-FM signals.
Attached Thumbnails gps calibration after nav tool install-navantenna.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-16-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 01:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I may have an answer for you. I just checked in my shop manual and there is a GPS antenna located underneath the package tray [ That is the flap that goes vertical when you are putting the top down The ends of this tray swivel in and the package tray goes vertical toa llow the top to fold and clear before it goes into trunk. The manual shows the anteena here but what is important is there is a connector there that plugs into another connector. Perhaps during the reverse camera install and the other work The installer did he have the rear seat bottom and rear seat back out? If he did I would have him lift out the seat bottom and the rear seat back and investigate this. I am betting that the connector is not fully in or perhaps it may have gotten damaged during any panel removal etc. This seems to me to be a good lead for you. Let me know if this helped

There is some confusion in my factory manual it shows the GPS in the rear as above pictorial and then in front of manual it show GPS antenna
Is up under the dash against the firewall. Not sure whats going on here
Attached Thumbnails gps calibration after nav tool install-lexus-gps.jpg  

Last edited by mrblister; 03-16-12 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: gps calibration after nav tool install