SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?

Old 12-06-11, 09:41 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, things had been running and starting smoothly with my battery issue as I have been driving the car longer and more frequently until today....COMPLETELY DEAD!

I'll give you a snap shot of my last week:

Mon-Thurs-drove the car several times, even for an extended period of time one day. Weather was great...60's-70's. Friday-rain, didn't drive. Getting colder!

Saturday, started it up and ran it for about 30 minutes, cold rain, just ran it, didn't drive. Most accessories, lights were off (radio might have been on). Replaced my cabin filter (took 3 minutes) and left it running for a while.

Sunday-had to start really quickly and let run for about five minutes while I moved a trash can around in my garage. Weather was colder, but low 50's.

Monday-same thing, quick start while I moved the trash bin back in the garage. High in the low 40's.

Tuesday today, sub freezing temps last night, car was completely dead. Just clicks on the starter that's it. At first it barely turned like it wanted to, but you could tell that the lights were dim on the dash, etc. Then after that, just the rapid clicks from the starter.

I currently have the car at the dealer testing the loads and asking them to replace this OEM Lexus 9-month old battery with a new one. Now that the battery has completely died numerous times I have little confidence in it, especially since I've been driving the car more, per their instructions last time.

I take the key out, no alarm on, no auto lights on, no dome lights on when I start. Minimal drainage, I would think??? I just started the car yesterday and it fired right up...but today is completely dead? Again I didnt' drive the car yesterday nor Saturday the last time I started it for an extended period of time, but just a few days and it's completely dead is not right to me???

I will re-post when I'm done here at the dealer. I told him that 100mA is a lot of drain on the battery and this is what they told me last time and that I "just need to drive it more" or "buy our battery tender", so I told him that my buddies on the clublexus forum say they can let their cars sit for weeks on end and start with no problem and with older batteries on cars older than mine with more miles. Since my car is a 05 with 39k miles and a brand new Lexus OEM battery, I should have no issues either, right?

Very frustrating!

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-06-11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 09:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I take the key out, no alarm on, no auto lights on, no dome lights on when I start. Minimal drainage, I would think??? I just started the car yesterday and it fired right up...but today is completely dead? Again I didnt' drive the car yesterday nor Saturday the last time I started it for an extended period of time, but just a few days and it's completely dead is not right to me???

I will re-post when I'm done here at the dealer. I told him that 100mA is a lot of drain on the battery and this is what they told me last time and that I "just need to drive it more" or "buy our battery tender", so I told him that my buddies on the clublexus forum say they can let their cars sit for weeks on end and start with no problem and with older batteries on cars older than mine with more miles. Since my car is a 05 with 39k miles and a brand new Lexus OEM battery, I should have no issues either, right?

Very frustrating!
That is not right for sure, my 06' got 58k miles now and the battery is 3+ years old with 30k miles on it, the car sit for 3~4 days every week without connecting to a charger and I never have battery issue.

The only thing I can think of is do you lock the door with the alarm on when the car is sitting? Mine sit in the garage without the alarm on to keep the drain low.

Other then that, good luck man, hope you can resolve it soon. Stuff like these is very frustrating.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-06-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds to me like your problem may be in two areas .

Batttery for sure bad intermittent cell ?
Bad ground or grounds ?
Trunk light staying on ?

Once they fiqure it out install a battery tender . My car is same year as yours, I seldom drive it I have battery tender on full time it starts right up once a week I run the engine to operating temp. Do you have a back up camera or any other accessories that might be still live when the key is off. I am sure your issue has nothing to do with the luxlink.

Keep us posted I hope for a simple solution. Something hiding in plain sight
Old 12-06-11, 12:54 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
That is not right for sure, my 06' got 58k miles now and the battery is 3+ years old with 30k miles on it, the car sit for 3~4 days every week without connecting to a charger and I never have battery issue.

The only thing I can think of is do you lock the door with the alarm on when the car is sitting? Mine sit in the garage without the alarm on to keep the drain low.

Other then that, good luck man, hope you can resolve it soon. Stuff like these is very frustrating.
Hi BNR,

Re: Mine sit in the garage without the alarm on to keep the drain low.

My previous car, the BMW 840, was the first car that I have owned with remote lock/unlock and an alarm system.

Both the BMW & the SC did/do sit in the garage unlocked. Occasionally, I found that the BMW would be locked when I went to get in.

I later found that sometimes just doing stuff around the house, I would trigger the keys in my pocket to inadvertently lock the BMW.

I have found that this also sometimes happens with the SC.

Also I have noticed, a few times, that the alarm will go off while the car is sitting in the garage.

So what is this 'sit in the garage without the alarm on' thing that you speak of?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Given the choice, I would disable the alarm system as I do not feel that I have a need for it.
Old 12-06-11, 02:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Jerry Baumchen,

I just meant I leave the car unlock and the alarm is off. Disregard of what I said, I don't even know if having the alarm on does create extra drain on the battery.

To be clear, everytime you lock the doors on the SC430 the alarm comes on automatically.

I don't feel I need the alarm either, it came with the car and I just use the remote lock/unlock feature.
Old 12-06-11, 06:01 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
Our group 48 batteries have around 75 amp hours of capacity. With a 100 milliamp continuous load the battery will last about one month until it's discharged. Infrequent fully discharging a battery and recharging it does no harm if the battery isn't left in the discharged state for an extended time. This would be a month or longer in my opinion. If you frequently deep discharge a battery then you'd be better off with a deep cycle battery.

Scdroptop, I don't agree with your installer at all. A single, lowly, 12 volt, 6 watt, bulb draws 1/2 amp which is 500 milliamps. (Current = watts / volts)

To measure your own SC's parasitic load just disconnect either the negative or positive lead from the battery and then connect a multimeter between the battery terminal post and the battery cable. The multimeter and its leads must be set for DC amps setting. Usually there is a 10-amp setting. This setting will give you sufficient accuracy for most situations. Remember to turn off all interior lights etc, of course. You can then pull fuses until you find an offending load sucker if you have one.

I measured my SC (with the previous generation LL) I see about 800 milliamps draw for the first 10-20 seconds and then it drops to around 160 milliamps. I'd say two to three weeks garage time is about what I get if I don't charge my battery by driving or otherwise.

One last thing, alternators provide a decent charge rate even at city driving speeds so don't feel like you need to blast down a freeway to get it done. It does take time though, no matter what speed you go. Generators, from yesteryear, where really bad in the city and that's why the industry went to alternators.
I'm forced to quote myself on this: 100 milliamps is not enough to run a battery down over a few days - if it's a good battery that's fully charged. As an electrical engineer of 30+ years I can guarantee that. I do agree with Mr Blister: everyone's missing something here. Either it's an intermittent load, a bad battery, a bad charging system or bad ground.

Based on your recent driving habits you definitely should not be having these problems. Hold your ground with the dealer as 100 milliamps is not the culprit here.
Old 12-06-11, 06:42 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have experienced the same problems as scdroptop. Last month I have 3rd battery, something kills it. Can we have a simple device installed with timer (5/10 mins) that shuts down except the programmed memory and manually turn on the alarm?
Old 12-06-11, 06:55 PM
scdroptop

Okay, thanks guys for all the insight...i love CL!

Update: Service advisor called me back today late afternoon and said battery was fine. Tested it twice.

Then he told me that he was going to have to get my authorization to do a 3 hour minimum full diagnostic check with a volt meter and pin process to isolate the issue.

My current draw is well over 100mA for the car and he said that normal is under 50, anything over 50 is excessive...over 100 is a problem.

My luxlink installer concurs with that, so I'm going to have to go with that now as well as far as the amps go.

So, I am taking my extra luxlink and bringing it to installer tomorrow to test the current LL as well as check out other stuff on the car. I didn't have this problem before luxlink, so either during the installation something went wrong, or something was left on, or something inside the luxlink went wrong.

I drive/start this car much more than a lot of you have chimed in do, and I do not have a battery tender though. I will get, but right now my focus is on solving why I completely drain after two days? What if I drove my car to the airport and left there for a trip? I don't, but let's say I did...I would be SOL.

Here is the status of my car as it sits in the garage, which is insulated and stays about 10-15 degrees warmer than outside when it's cold:

Unlocked
Key out of ignition
LL extra key in secret hiding spot in car
Lights are off (not auto)
dome lights are off (not door)
Vais iPod unit is off (I turn the iPod off manually to reduce any extra drain, but don't unplug it???? maybe this????)
No other lights or accessories are on (that I know of, anyway)

In January 2011 I had the car detailed....a month before that the coilovers installed. I haven't honestly looked in the trunk to see if any light was on, but even if it was, i'm sure the bulb would be burnt out by now, wouldn't it? Any other lights or accessories to look for?

Tomorrow I take the car and the extra LL box to the installer and see what he says. He really wanted me to get a new battery, and I tried, but they said that the battery was fine.

On another note, the dealer was not happy with me and was rather pushy on insisting that I needed a three hour diagnostic session, and wanted my authorization to do it and warned me that if I had any aftermarket items causing the drain, any rodent damage or damage due to accident, etc that CPO Lexus program would not cover it. The installer told me to abort and bring to him since it appears that everything stems from the luxlink install forward.

My previous battery was a Lexus OEM from August 2004 when the car was bought new. I only replaced it when this winter it was so nasty and cold here that I didn't start or drive the car in about a week and a half and the battery wouldn't even jump. So, I got a new battery this spring: Lexus OEM. Dealer says battery is totally fine. We'll see!

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-06-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 11:24 AM
scdroptop

At installer now...voltmeter hooked up, everything off, car is churning about 81/82 milliamps with luxlink installed.

Take off luxlink and I'm at about 41. No wonder why battery is dying after only two days.

If you all can, please let me know what your draw is or respond to the other thread. Thanks!

I posted another thread asking members to post their draws on their luxlink and non luxlink cars to see how I compared. While my baby is there, I'm getting spark plugs, and all fluids done as well as some LED lights put in!
Old 12-07-11, 12:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Did you wait about 10 minuites to see if the draw is the same . Does that draw include the alarm ? I dont think that 81/82 millamps is a lot. IMO.

How did you disable the luxlink . Did you pull out the fuse or unplug the device . I will try and get some numbers for comparison when I get to my garage [ I am in for the winter ]

I would report this to Steve perhaps your draw is unique and not the norm.!!

Buddy
Old 12-07-11, 12:31 PM
scdroptop

Yes, we did wait. Built into this ampmeter, it resets itself after a load starts/stops on the car, like the door closing, etc.

He actually uninstalled it, disconnected it from the floorboard. Also connected my extra, other new LL box just to make sure.

Also called Steve and Steve said those loads seem ok. That's why we are curious to hear what you all report.
Old 12-07-11, 12:40 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Well I wont be surprised if we get similar results. If i have a drain problem I would not know it since I have a battery tender running 24 x 7 . When ever I go to use the car It starts right off and runs fine . When I put it away and re-plug in the battery tender. The storage light on the battery tender comes on in about 15 to 20 minuites .
Which means the battery is fuilly charged.
Old 12-07-11, 12:43 PM
scdroptop

I know, Buddy...maybe I'm wanting my cake and eat it too---Luxlink, Vais, and very little driving=dead battery. Pretty common sense, right? Duh....I should just bite the bullet and do the tender and shut up already. Installer still thinks I am high and wants to see what others results are just for comparison, that's why I started another thread asking for anyone to measure theirs. I'm getting a tender for sure...just need to figure out if my current draw is too much or what. Two days is not much life, though. How come others can go weeks, like Solman and others? What if I "needed" to drive the SC to the airport for a trip and leave it there?
Old 12-07-11, 01:09 PM
scdroptop

While Ebony is in the shop, she is getting her plugs changed, LED lights in the side markers (2002-2005 only) inside the headlights...168 wedge bulb, LED fogs and a drain and fill on: Rear Diff, Coolant, Brake and Tranny.

Early Christmas for Ebony! Just hope we can make her charge right too!

Cabin filter was at 16 months and was not very dirty. Last two times I bought the charcoal (dark) one instead of the white. I did my FX35 at the same times and it was white...pretty dirty, but that's an SUV and I've put 10k+ miles on it verus the SC.
Old 12-07-11, 02:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Draw

Originally Posted by scdroptop
While Ebony is in the shop, she is getting her plugs changed, LED lights in the side markers (2002-2005 only) inside the headlights...168 wedge bulb, LED fogs and a drain and fill on: Rear Diff, Coolant, Brake and Tranny.

Early Christmas for Ebony! Just hope we can make her charge right too!

Cabin filter was at 16 months and was not very dirty. Last two times I bought the charcoal (dark) one instead of the white. I did my FX35 at the same times and it was white...pretty dirty, but that's an SUV and I've put 10k+ miles on it verus the SC.
Well if you go to airport car wont get stolen unless crook has cables and a jumper battery ..
I am sure you will get to the bottom of it . I bought the battery tender plus not the battery tender jr .
the plus is a better unit for your car .

Buddy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?