SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering Parting Ways With My SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 09:58 AM
t119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Parting Ways With My SC430

Over the past several months, it has become increasingly difficult to convince myself that my sc430 is a practical daily driver considering my situation (college student in Kentucky). Last week, I experienced my 3rd tire blowout in 4 months on the interstate and have been contemplating possibly trying to sell or trade the car. I guess what I'm really trying to do is evaluate my options with the vehicle and find the most practical solution at this point. Should I sell or trade? What can I get out of it? Should I try to sell the aftermarket parts separately? The only thing I am absolutely sure of at this point is that I am not keeping my aftermarket wheels on the car.

Here are the specifics and a few pictures of the car to better gage the specifics:

It's a 2003 black/saddle and just received an excellent checkup for its 90,000 checkup from the dealership. I've owned the car for almost 2 years.It's accident-free and has always been owned by a non-smoker. I have all of the original parts, but it would be a real pain restoring this vehicle to stock. Since owning the car, I have added:
-keyless entry, remote start
- Window Tint
-20' Lexani LLS-5 wheels (staggered)
-DVD, IPOD, Satellite Radio, backup camera, USB input, Upgraded Navigation, Component Speakers, Sub Woofer, Handsfree Bluetooth
- Megan EZ Coilovers

(Before the Coilovers)

After the drop
Old 11-05-11, 10:17 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking SC. It would be a shame to get rid of it. It's strange that you're having a problem with blowouts. I've had 20" wheels and used mine as a daily driver for 5 years. Never had a blowout. I've only had a flat once and that's because I ran over a nail. I'd recommend checking your tire pressure once a week to make sure they're not low. Or you could have TPS sensors installed. Also, what size tires are you running on what width wheels? If the tires are really stretched, that could have something to do with it.
Old 11-05-11, 10:34 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your tires profile are too thin, are they 30 front 25 rear? Try 35 front 30 rear.
Old 11-05-11, 10:36 AM
t119
Rookie

The width of the rear wheels (the ones that tend to blow) at 10'. I'm not sure exactly what series tire is but they are Nitto Invo tires. I do not recommend them haha. I check the tire pressure all of the time, yet they seem to still blow. Apparently when you hit a pot hole or bump (which is hard to avoid in the stop and go traffic of downtown) on such a thin tire, an air pocket or something similar forms until the pressure causes the tire to pop. What is odd though is that the tire will read an appropriate tire pressure and will continue to take air right until it pops. The back side wall blows out when they finally pop:

If I do keep the car, I will be selling/trading the lexani's for the g spiders that came stock on the sc430. I have the pie plates on right now and I think they're absolutely hideous.
Old 11-05-11, 11:08 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

For the rear, 275/30 or 285/30 would give you more sidewall. Find out what the wheel offsets are before choosing the tires.
Old 11-05-11, 11:15 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The sizes are printed on the front side of the tires. Check those and let us know what they are.
Old 11-05-11, 11:37 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I echo Liquid's thoughts...such a great looking car! Why don't you sell the rims on CL or eBay and get the spiders with non RFT's for a softer ride and more meat and then if you don't like think about changing to another car? You've done some pretty good mods to your car to substantially improve...unfortunately you will only get a fraction of what you paid for all those mods back...you'd be lucky to get .50 cents on the dollar!

IMO you car is probably worth about $20k or so. Just off the top of my head...

I just ran some quick retail seaches on eBay, cars.com and autotrader to see if I'm crazy or not...

Here is a pretty good snapshot of about 100 or so 2003 cars:

Highest Price: $31,990
Lowest Price: $14,495
Average Price: $20,681

Your tires do look like they are stretched pretty thin. I have 9.5 in the rear and I'm running 285/30. They look like 275/30's already...maybe even 265/30...which on a 10" rear would be very little rubber to roll on.

I noticed you have Megans...your flats started in the last four months...is there any coincidence? Perhaps too harsh of a ride? Too hard setting?

On the selling point: Most sub $20k cars have well over 100k miles, in fact they are well under $20k more like $15k and under. Most $20k average cars are between 80k and 100k and are very clean, like yours, but obviously don't have the mods you do. If you do sell, NOW would be the time. There is no doubt you could get top dollar for as clean as it is. I'd list at $22k on retail sites and on here and be happy with anything at or around $20k final price.

A dealer would give you about $10k-$12k for your car. it's not a retail car, so they'd trade/swap with a wholesaler. With all the mods, they'd definitely not value those, in fact probably deduct. Your best bet is retail. If you had a completely stock 2003 with 90k miles you'd get $12k trade most likely and that would be fair. I'm seeing wholesalers in Dallas selling 2002's and 2003's for $15k or so with close to 100k miles, so you know they are buying them for that $10k-12k range and making a small margin. Again if yours was stock and you wanted to get something like a Lexus Dealer IS/ES and had some playing room, you could get more money on a trade.
Old 11-05-11, 01:10 PM
deathstar
Driver

i would go back to stock size rims/tires before i sold such a sweet ride.
Old 11-05-11, 02:36 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep it and just get an old beater. Although I have 5 cars I just drive an old Nissan Micra 1.2 as my daily. Great in traffic, cost pennies to run , you can park it anywhere and no one tries to steal it lol
Old 11-05-11, 02:51 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

you're slammed out! too much negative camber! buy my rear sage rca blocks lol that looks like a 30 series tire
Old 11-06-11, 03:57 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

one bada$$ car and one lucky college student. And bonus points for the JM dvd.
Not sure id value looks over functionality to the degree of 3 blowouts though.
Old 11-06-11, 06:03 AM
tsachiti
Driver

Originally Posted by aquanuke
I would keep it and just get an old beater. Although I have 5 cars I just drive an old Nissan Micra 1.2 as my daily. Great in traffic, cost pennies to run , you can park it anywhere and no one tries to steal it lol
I would agree. Keep it and then get some old beater for the daily commute.

I think you would regret it if you downgraded. aquanuke had his in a garage for nearly 8 months at one point, he took it out recently and knocked us all off our chairs here. There are not many cars which can give you the same value in terms or being up to 10 years old and still looking and running better than many modern top teir cars.

I recently ordered a scooter for the daily commute and I don't use the SC unless necessary ( very practical in London)
Old 11-06-11, 06:40 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by t119
Over the past several months, it has become increasingly difficult to convince myself that my sc430 is a practical daily driver considering my situation (college student in Kentucky).
Times just don't change. I had problems just like this when I was a college student. The gate in front of the mansion I lived in often didn't open. It was a real hassle!
Old 11-06-11, 09:45 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get a great older Accord or Prelude or Miata for a daily commute under $3k.
Old 11-06-11, 10:06 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude just run some staggared Isx50 wheels or rear sage RCA blocks will fix ur negative chamber! Maybe go down to 19s?

Quick Reply: Considering Parting Ways With My SC430