SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Key Buying Fun Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 02:54 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Key Buying Fun Project

I'm working on two things right now that I'll later potentially see if we need to do a sticky on or not.

Over the past five years I've seen a ton of folks get taken for $200+ keys and I said to myself there must be a better way! I have seen folks get down to their last key on here and lose it or break it and need an ECU reflash and key service-which is like a root canal for your car!

I have four keys for my SC but you can program up to five I believe (maybe more) so I went on a quest to find the CHEAPEST alternative to getting a new key, transponder, shell and cut job.

So far, I am up analyzing all options and will post when I'm done. If you all like then we can do a sticky on it. I call it my "Key Algorithm" and will also include the two methods to program and debunk myths about key cutting, FAQ about keys, etc etc. There is a TON of info on this topic alone! About five years ago I thought about doing a Key FAQ because of my amazing experience with my 2002 but never got around to it. This time I think I need to do a write-up if you all are interested.

So, my news for the day is a TALE OF TWO DEALERS in my hometown.

I called one dealer and told them I have a key to cut and they told me it was free to cut.

I called the other and they told me that it was $30.

I called the first dealer back and asked them about programming and they said usually they would do it free of charge if you do a service with them-which I do need an oil change, so I think I've got a deal...zero cut cost and zero programming cost (even though I know I can DIY program).

The other dealer I called back and asked them the same question about programming. They said $30 to cut, $55-$85 to program. I asked them why so much and they gave me some BS about the need to reprogram all my keys and unregister some keys and some other BS. I just laughed.

So...one option is potentially FREE (with an oil change and a little relationship doesn't hurt) and the other is potentially $85-$115.

Keep in mind I've already bought the key, transponder---which you all will FLIP out when I tell you what I actually paid for this versus what others have paid!

Stay tuned....
Old 10-18-11, 06:58 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scdroptop, this has been said before but I just want to reconfirm...

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!

Thank you and I will be checking this thread for updates.
Old 10-18-11, 11:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

We are headed the right direction. Finally anything-everything about keys.
Old 11-03-11, 08:55 AM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Can't wait to hear the rest. I got two regular keys and a valet key when I bought my '05. I'm considering buying abother valet key for my LuxLink install so I'll still have a spare valet key. Dealer quoted around $150 to purchase and cut a valet key. I'm going to talk to my salesman and see if he can get one for me. But if that doesn't work I'm looking for a deal!
Old 11-03-11, 03:16 PM
TeckniX
Driver School Candidate

Def want some updates on this and a good source for the keys
Old 11-03-11, 06:16 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I also am waiting for the answers. I have the original two masters one valet and one wallet key. I Cut the wallet transponder in half and put the transponder portion of it into the luxlink hidden box. I bought another master key and programed that. so in effect I have used up all of my available key transponders and wallet keys and masters and valet keys allowed . i really wanted to be able to take my original wallet key that is cut and works the car and be able to put it into a working wallet transponder. So i bought on ebay a wallet transponder the cut key it came with I through away since its not fitted to my car . I want to program the wallet transponder so it will be my emergency unit and then put my original cut and working key into the wallet and store in a safe place. Problem is I am afraid to try and program this wallet because since i think I think I have used up all of the available programing for all of the other keys i programed . I was reading in the manual if you try and program over your limit the first key that was originally programed will be unregistered and then the new wallet I just programed will work but at the cost of causing one of my registered keys all ready programed to drop off the list. The dealer ship cant give me an answer. I am concerned that if i louse anything up I dont want my original wallet transponder I cut in half and placed in the luxlink to stop working. because it could be unregistered if I try and re-program the new ebay transponder wallet key. Its a pain to drop the dash and retrive the wallet transponder from the luxlink if I have to reprogram it any one have a clue about this..