SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Winter Tires....(more)........

Old 10-02-02, 06:21 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Tires....(more)........

Uggh,

Here is the Lexus Snow Tire Program info.

18' Blizzaks Run Flat, New Stock Rims,New Sensors, Mount and Balance....

$ 2750.00

Now that being said, I have all kinds of options....

(prices include $200 Mount and Balance at Lexus)

(no sensors...I guess I'll have to live with the warning light)

1. New RF Tires on old rims....$1100

2. New RF Tires on OEM rims....$1750

3. Non RF Tires 17" on old rims...$875+spare tire

4. Non RF Tires 17" on OEM rims....$1450+spare tire

Please don't tell me to buy another car for winter. That is the most obvious solution. I really wanted to drive this car all winter, you know,... hard top, anti skid, traction control,snow setting for transmission....

It should be no problem.

P.S.
All rght, go ahead and tell me to buy another car, I guess if I bought a used SUV or small front wheel drive for the winter I would probably lose 2-3 grand on resale.

I'm not sure what I am going to do.

BTW, I live in Chicago, so we don't always have snow on the ground. It usually dumps a few inches and then it is off of the roads in a day or two.

What to do....What to do??

Tjz
Old 10-02-02, 09:25 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright!!

Man, you are the man I have been hoping to find... snow tire talk!! I am also in Chicago and have been on the horns of the same dilema as I consider buying this car.

Great research into the options!

What I think is a good option is to go with the Lexus program. Although it seems very expensive, compared to outfitting my ES300 with Blizzaks, it is not outragous given you get the new wheels. As you know, those snow tires will last two seasons and into the second summer. This means you will end up saving the summer some wear. Other benys are that you have the true look of the car year round, which is important for the reason you noted (it is not a frozen tundra everyday in winter). You keep the safety of the run flats, the dependable service of Lexus and the look of the original wheels (which will also give you longer life since you have two sets).

I like this option (even though I wish the price was about $1,000 cheaper). In my world, this may be something to try to bargain for when going to buy the car.

Thank you again!!!
Old 10-02-02, 11:35 PM
Tjz
Driver

Well,

I guess my biggest problem with the Lexus Package($2750+Tax), is that if I decide to get rid of my SC at the end of next summer, I know I will get nothing in return for the investment in Snow Tires.

Now mind you, I don't mind taking a thousand dollar hit, no prob, but three grand, and I guess you have got my attention.

;-)

Tim
Old 10-02-02, 11:45 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've said this a few times already in other Winter Driving threads that concern the SC430..

You want something that looks fairly decent but does the job for light to medium winter driving.. Someone in the GS classifieds always has their stock 17" wheels up for sale.. Lets say in the region of $650 - $850 for non-chrome wheels.. Buy those and put whatever Winter tire you like on them.. Save your stock rims/run flats for summer unless you want or intend to change them in the near future for larger wheels.. But I would sway any of you from running 18" snow tires.. It's pointless since safety should be the biggest priority for winter driving..

As for the spare tire it's a great idea if you are running long distance in your car but otherwise a waste of space IMHO.. Thus is why we have Lexus Roadside Assistance..

Most SC430's up here in the Toronto region are running 16" BBS knock-off wheels with Pirelli or Blizzak winter rubber.. They work well but are ugly.. The GS wheels look very nice on the SC430.. Anyways thought I would drop my 2 cents.. Hope it helps!
Old 10-03-02, 12:38 AM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Duly noted... probably the best way to go!!

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-02, 11:13 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what luck anyone in the midwest or Nor-East has had driving their SC430 in winter-type slick weather...?
Old 10-20-02, 10:13 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yeah well

I live in Chicago too and won't be letting my SC430 see salt...

Have you seen the bottom of a car after a winter of our salty roads?

Do you want to risk alignment and wheel bending problems along with other nasty side effects of our pot holes?

That being said, I bought a used nice front wheel drive that has already stabilized on depreciation and I don't have to worry about $2K -$3k and more like $200 to $300 depreciation if I wanted to resell in the spring...

I felt having a winter beater car was well worth the investment because last year I was parked in front of a restaurant as I a kid in an SUV slammed into it. Needless to say, I would have been devistated if it was my SC430.

So you are taking more than just the risk of snow with driving your sC in a Chicago winter! Think about the salt and the stupid people who don't know how to drive in the snow those few days it does come down and can hit you!
Old 10-21-02, 06:27 PM
Lexdub99
Driver

Default sc430

I have a question for you guys why in the world would you want to even expose that beatiful car to the winter weather. As you know your car is rear wheel drive and no matter what kind of tires you put on it in the snow its still not going to handle that great. I have a gs400 and i live in the north east and the winters hear were bad the past few years and i still didnt dare bring my car in the snow after the firts year cuase i relized its not meant for the bad weather even though it has snow tracion control and all thos other gadgets. You have the nicest lexus out on the market for the price of what your going to pay lexus for new wheels you can get a junk car to use in the bad weather and keep all the salt and snow away from that beautiful sc430
Old 10-21-02, 09:02 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

The answer: I bought it and I want to drive it... everyday.

I think that it is just a car, and as such, it should be able to handle some snow, ice, salt, etc. Gees, if this car is too much of a wimp to handle that... forget it.

I think the SC can handle it and I can handle a rear wheel drive in the snow (previously had camaro, 280zx turbo, 200sx). This is a car, not a baby. Beauty without toughness is worthless in a car. As far as the car getting exposed to additional risk of getting banged up, well... you gotta get over that, your car can catch a big ding to the hood from a rock at any time and people get in accidents all the time regardless of weather. What's next? Oops, it's raining... I better keep my baby in the garage!!

Cars are meant to be driven... at least mine are.

Respectfully,
Hugeness.
Old 10-21-02, 09:45 PM
Tjz
Driver

Hey Huge,

I absolutely agree with you. I am going to DRIVE this car.

OOOOOOhhhh, my baby got salt on it, it got wet , yadda yadda yadda. OOOOOhh it's too slippery out, I better stay in and stare at my car. LOL

Sheesh, I did not buy this car to put in the garage for four months out of the year. It is not a Mazerratti(sp?).

Let's see....

snow tires
trac cntrl
snow transmission
abs
24 hr roadside
airbags

and

auto insurance.

I think I am covered.

P.S.

Does anyone know how the Tow Hooks work. LOL ;-)

Tim
Old 10-21-02, 09:56 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default O.k. In that case

YOu CAN drive it in the winter BUT I would NOT go with the factory 18" option but go with the 16" skinny tall tire package instead like the Canadian dealers did last winter for their customers who drove all year. You want to drive and get the best out of the car in snow and slush then you are best off with a smaller and skinny tire for winter use!

I went this kind of route with my pior high horsepower rear wheel drive (after trying stock size first) and was very happy with the results.
Old 10-21-02, 10:02 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default what I mean is...

maintain the same ride height with a skinnier tire like going with either of the following:

215 60 16

225 55 16

OR Maybe even

205 60 16

I think I'd choose 225 55 16 myself and get myself a package from TireRack in SouthBend (save by not paying tax or mounting/balancing and cheaper shipping because they come from South Bend, IN not too far away)
Old 10-21-02, 10:16 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default here you go..

I went to tirerack myself for the heck of it and look what I came up with for an example:

QTY. Size and Description Availability Price Each Item Total
4 16X7 Sport Edition Tekno In Stock $115.00 $460.00
4 225/55QR16 Michelin Arctic-Alpin In Stock $104.00 $416.00

Shipping Options from South Bend, Indiana (Select One)
UPS GROUND $47.86
FEDEX ECONOMY 2 DAY DEL $65.32
FEDEX 3 DAY SELECT $63.16
Most tire and wheel package orders will ship within 4-5 business days. Estimated shipping times are given in business days.
FedEx and UPS do not include Saturday or Sunday in calculating shipping time.
Saturday delivery available at an additional charge.
Please call 888-541-1777 to place any order that will require Saturday delivery.
FedEx orders require a signature for delivery.
See map for UPS shipping times to your area

Order Total (based on selected ship method)
$923.86
Old 10-21-02, 10:34 PM
Tjz
Driver

Thanks Ceboyd,

That info looks good. Is there any reason to go with 17's instead of 16's.

I know traction will be better with the 16's. Am I giving up anything in performance or safety??

Yup, a thou sounds just about right, beats the heck out of 3 grand for Lexus package.

Tjz
Old 10-21-02, 11:46 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default more answers

The only reason you may want to go with 17s is if you think the 16s would look too silly.

As long as you maintain the correct ride height, you won't cause any problems with your abs system or traction control. If you start going taller or smaller, that's when problems can start to happen.

If I were forced to drive through winter, I'd opt for the 16s because of the following reasons:

1) price is best for both tire and wheels and they fit just fine on the SC430 (search the archives here to see it mentioned from Canadians last year) and I personally fit 16s myself last year to confirm fitment

2) tallest sidewall makes for the best cushion for the heavy SC430 with it's potential battle with unseen potholes making for less likely to bend the 16" rim with more cushion overall with the sidewall profile.

BUT the final choice is really yours to make.... Whatever you decide, I'd really be interested in seeing a photo of your car with its winter shoes to get an idea about downsizing on my car. I've seriously considered downsizing for overall ride quality and am curious to see an SC430 with 17s or 16s.

Thanks and please do tell us what you end up with!

3)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Tires....(more)........