SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 07:28 AM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)

She went shopping and locked the keys in the trunk, the door was locked also. We had no spare keys and we called a tow truck guy to try unlocking the car in the rain...

He tried for a little more than an hour to hit the trunk release, then the alarm went off and everything was locked down...There was no choice but to tow the SC back home.

It turns out the car was a little too secure, we had to get keys from the dealership... They were able to cut the keys from the vin number, cost was $170 CAD.

But have been interesting for other drivers to see an sc "breaking down"...
Attached Thumbnails Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)-dsc06472.jpg   Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)-dsc06471.jpg  
Old 09-06-11, 07:48 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Did you order an emergency wallet key while you were there?
Old 09-06-11, 10:30 AM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Nope, I just ordered a the key with a chip, Lexus want to charge $80 to get it programmed.

I just followed the instruction here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ogramming.html

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Worked like a charm
Old 09-06-11, 10:56 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a hassle. I feel for you. I just had to get mine towed with a ripped up rear tire (no spare, not runflats). Took hours before AAA got to me stuck on a major highway outside of Rochester, Minnesota.

Check under your seats!!: The '02 I just bought came with one master key (remote fob) and one valet key. But while on our first trip with the car a few weeks after purchase my wife dropped an earring between the passenger seat and center console. Fishing around down there by the seat track she comes up with a remote fob - no shell, no key - just the remote part that fits inside the head shell. Took it home, put a new battery in it and it works. Now just need to order a key shell and get it cut (Sewell, me thinks). So how did it get there without a head shell/key??? Guesses?

Kelly
Old 09-06-11, 04:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another unexplained Lexus fail. My 06 LS will not allow you to lock the doors if the keys are in the car including the trunk. This has saved us a call to the locksmith many times. Why the LS gets folding mirrors, air in the seats, a rear sun shade, massage seats, an ac cooled drink cooler, headlights that follow the wheels, proximity door locks, keyless start, full size spare and God knows what else over an 06 SC.
Old 09-06-11, 07:05 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Newer cars have that feature to prevent key being locked inside the car/trunk.

I have a full remote key, a valet key and an emergency key from the previous owner. Always ask for the extra keys when purchasing a used car.
Old 09-06-11, 07:29 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just Put your Key Here:

All you need is a Costanza Wallet!

Attached Thumbnails Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)-stuffed-costanza-wallet.jpg  
Old 09-07-11, 06:12 AM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to take your advice and check under the seat See what stuff I can find

Originally Posted by kjcole
What a hassle. I feel for you. I just had to get mine towed with a ripped up rear tire (no spare, not runflats). Took hours before AAA got to me stuck on a major highway outside of Rochester, Minnesota.

Check under your seats!!: The '02 I just bought came with one master key (remote fob) and one valet key. But while on our first trip with the car a few weeks after purchase my wife dropped an earring between the passenger seat and center console. Fishing around down there by the seat track she comes up with a remote fob - no shell, no key - just the remote part that fits inside the head shell. Took it home, put a new battery in it and it works. Now just need to order a key shell and get it cut (Sewell, me thinks). So how did it get there without a head shell/key??? Guesses?

Kelly
Old 09-07-11, 08:01 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edmondt
I'm going to take your advice and check under the seat See what stuff I can find
French Fries and change would seem to be the odds on favorites.
Old 09-07-11, 09:29 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife carries the valet key to my SC on her keychain...I carry the valet key to her Camry on my keychain.

This solves a lot of hassles.

A) We always have a spare key with us, no matter what car we're driving
B) We always have a valet key with us. Even if we don't "valet" either car very often, it's nice to give the dealership or a car wash a valet key instead of the master.
Old 09-07-11, 09:34 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Another thought.

You could use one of those Hide-a-Key thingys tucked away somewhere around the car. If you put ONLY the shell in there, this would allow you to get back in the car if you lock the keys in it...but wouldn't allow a would-be thief to drive off in the car if they discovered it (no chip = no start).
Old 09-07-11, 02:33 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Habious, that's true with an exception, an installed LL.
Old 09-07-11, 02:38 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Habious, that's true with an exception, an installed LL.
I love it when somebody drops the "LL." It is truly an eye popper.

I must say it is the BEST upgrade known to SC owners, second to the LED tails for < 2006 model yrs.
Old 09-07-11, 03:13 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by edmondt
Nope, I just ordered a the key with a chip, Lexus want to charge $80 to get it programmed.

I just followed the instruction here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ogramming.html

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Worked like a charm
From what I was told by a locksmith, the above procedure will not work for 2006+ SC's and the key must be programmed with a machine. Can anyone verify this as being correct or not? Thanks
Old 09-07-11, 11:48 PM
Lexi65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do I get a master key if I brought my car used, and there is no master key? Help I locked my security trunk lock

Last edited by Lexi65; 09-07-11 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)