SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 10:16 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Habious, that's true with an exception, an installed LL.
True...and I thought about that.

However, someone would have to know you have Ye Olde LL installed, and know how to use it (without the fob). You'd have to go through a specific set of steps (that I'm not going to outline here - sorry would-be theives, do your own homework) to get into the car, get it started, and be able to drive away, sans fob.

I think, if getting locked out of your car is a concern, you shouldn't worry about that kind of circumstance coming up. You (the proverbial "you", not you - Bob) have a nice car...pay for good insurance. If someone wants your car bad enough, they're going to take it...with or without your assistance.
Old 09-08-11, 10:51 AM
gentouru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
From what I was told by a locksmith, the above procedure will not work for 2006+ SC's and the key must be programmed with a machine. Can anyone verify this as being correct or not? Thanks
Try this link.. worked for 09

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ogramming.html
Old 11-06-12, 02:53 AM
LexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Habious, that's true with an exception, an installed LL.
What does LL mean?
Old 11-06-12, 04:28 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

LL = LuxLink
Old 11-06-12, 07:06 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Here's what I did: I'd been using one of my two master keys and the plastic finally broke. I ordered a replacement key blank on eBay (cheap), transplanted the insides of the old key (which contains the chip) to the new one (the buttons lined up well enough), and had the new key cut using the old as master (by a locksmith that had the necesssary equipment to do so--not Ace or Home Depot, etc, which are fine for residential door keys and older vehicles but not much else).

To solve the problem of a lost key while on the road or accidential lock-outs with the key left inside the car, I put the old key in a magnetiic box under the car (it will open the door but will not start the car) and hid the valet key inside the car. Total cost? I can't remember the exact cost, but way less than $100.

Last edited by MadHungari; 11-06-12 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-06-12, 07:14 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHungari

To solve the problem of a lost key while on the road or accidential lock-outs with the key left inside the car, I put the old key in a magnetiic box under the car (it will open the door but will not start the car) and hid the valet key inside the car. Total cost? I can't remember the exact cost, but way less than $100.
What a great idea. I also have an original master key with remote that I retired due to plastic cracking. I installed the guts into a new precut key shell from Sewell Lexus purchased for $70 with the clublexus discount.

I will do the same as you. I'll put the old master key shell without the chip and guts in a magnetic hide-a-key box under the car and hide the valet key inside the car.

At least that way one would have to find two hidden keys in order to start up and steal my locked SC .

JR
Old 12-18-12, 02:57 AM
PoppaLS
Driver School Candidate

Great idea; put the retired keys to work... As I have a wife who sometimes find a way to retain ALL the keys in her purse...
Old 01-29-13, 12:06 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just happened yesterday. $215 for 30 seconds. He had a small balloon he squeezed between the window and the door frame. Added some air to spread the window. He then used a a long rod with a hook to open the door lock. The alarm went off and the keys were on the seat!
$215 for 30 seconds. Just ordered extra keys from Sewell.
Old 01-29-13, 12:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by norman52
Just happened yesterday. $215 for 30 seconds. He had a small balloon he squeezed between the window and the door frame. Added some air to spread the window. He then used a a long rod with a hook to open the door lock. The alarm went off and the keys were on the seat!
$215 for 30 seconds. Just ordered extra keys from Sewell.
Any damage to the rubber moulding ? Thats some trick I am going to google that see if its available for purchase.
Old 01-29-13, 12:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

http://www.stun-ningsales.com/spysto...lock-tools.htm

Here is a whole kit of unlock tools includes the balloon and other interesting tools
Old 01-29-13, 04:47 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by norman52
Just ordered extra keys from Sewell.
I ordered the Magnetic Key Holder from Sewell
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/5184.html

After reading this thread I did the following.

I put an old key without the remote guts in the Magnetic Key holder hidden under the car. It can only open doors and will not start the car.

I then hid a programmed valet key in the trunk. If I loose my key I will use the key in the key holder to open the car door, pop the trunk open with the trunk release button and then retrieve the programmed valet key hidden in the trunk to drive away.

As an aircraft owner I would do something similar. I taped a spare key to the underside of one of the several inspection panels. I never was concerned being stranded in the Bahamas if I lost my key.

I love creative solutions.

JR
Old 01-30-13, 05:59 AM
HerveG
Driver School Candidate

Considering nocost alternative....put key from emergency wallet in hide-a-key and then hide folder w/chip in trunk. Key would get you in ok but only able to start if also find chip hidden in trunk.
Old 01-31-13, 04:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edmondt
She went shopping and locked the keys in the trunk, the door was locked also. We had no spare keys and we called a tow truck guy to try unlocking the car in the rain...

He tried for a little more than an hour to hit the trunk release, then the alarm went off and everything was locked down...There was no choice but to tow the SC back home.

It turns out the car was a little too secure, we had to get keys from the dealership... They were able to cut the keys from the vin number, cost was $170 CAD.

But have been interesting for other drivers to see an sc "breaking down"...
My wife did this with her SC400 back in the mid 90's. AAA could not unlock it. Every time they pulled up on the lock with the jimmy thingy they had, it would relock automatically.

We called local Lexus dealership which we'd never been to(she bought it slightly used). They responded by cutting a new key and hand delivering it to us within 30 minutes free of charge.

$170 seems a little steep.
Old 01-31-13, 04:59 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
My wife did this with her SC400 back in the mid 90's. AAA could not unlock it. Every time they pulled up on the lock with the jimmy thingy they had, it would relock automatically.
Disconnecting the battery probably would have helped with that.
Old 01-31-13, 05:03 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Disconnecting the battery probably would have helped with that.
OK genius

Quick Reply: Ever locked your keys in the car? My wife did :)