SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Removal of radio -- cannot "unclip the AC controls" ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 06:01 PM
lawlist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of radio -- cannot "unclip the AC controls" ?

I am trying to remove the radio, and I cannot "unclip the AC controls" -- it is stuck in there really solidly. Any ideas how to get that unit out? I've already removed the seat warmer controls, and the cover over the transmission shifter, and I removed the two (2) 10mm bolts to the radio, but I can't see how to unclip those AC controls.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-11, 06:58 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

This should help you figure out where more pressure and wiggling straight back needs to be applied... It mainly held in place by the four pressure clips around the corners.
Attached Thumbnails Removal of radio -- cannot "unclip the AC controls" ?-ac-panel.png  
Old 09-01-11, 08:29 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did this last week. you just have to pull really hard while your wiggeling it from side to side
Old 09-01-11, 08:39 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i thought i was going to break it, did it during the SLU install
Old 09-01-11, 09:51 PM
lawlist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I huffed and puffed and pulled and wriggled, lost a little skin on my right thumb, and repeated the process until my fingers just couldn't do it any more -- a small man like myself who pushes a pencil for a living just does not have the physical strength needed for the job. With zero strength left, I remembered something my parents use to say -- "give me a leaver, and I can lift the world". So I used the back end of the ratchet wrench and inserted it behind the AC control unit and put a little bit of pressure on the edge of the radio and pried -- the AC control unit it came right out like butter (same process on each side).

In hindsight, I should have put a towel on the edge of the radio underneath the ratchet wrench, because there is a tiny indentation "on each edge" of the plastic on the front of the radio caused by the ratchet wrench. It's very tiny, but for an OCDC person like myself, I'll notice it. I also noticed a tiny crack in the glass on the face of the AC unit and I'm not sure if I am to blame (because the car is used), but I probably am the culprit. The **** of the transmission shifter is a little scratched from the radio brushing against it, and I'll try and clean it tomorrow during the daylight hours. The battery ran dead before I got the SL2i-UP (Vais Technology) installed, so I took it out and it is charging all night long. I'll get up bright and early and see if I can get the iPhone to play music through the stereo. I'll install the Kuda and dual telephone mounts on Saturday morning, and figure out just where to run the cable so it is not too noticeable.

Thank you everyone for the help.