SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A Lexus SC430 owner at last!

Old 08-27-11, 06:59 PM
DrTrekker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile A Lexus SC430 owner at last!

First of all, I want to comment on how much this forum has helped me in my first month of ownership of this exquisite care.

I had coveted an sc430 since the larger models in the 1990's. The restyled 2002 - onward models were jaw dropping, and I'd twist my neck every time one went by. It feels like such an accomplishment to finally be sitting in my very own 2002 twilight amethyst SC430!

I bought it at Lexus of Marin, about 80 miles west of where I live. I thought the price was very reasonable. I had encountered the car on autotrader.com and bought it before they had a chance to do the cosmetic fixes. That would have cost me $3,000 to $4,000 more.

I didn't pay much attention to the guidelines about buying a used car. I drove that baby, and it spoke to me, saying "I'm yours."

I have the usual gripes about speaker distortion, outdated Nav DVD, and no bluetooth, but that can all be resolved for about $500. So far, the car seems to run flawlessly except that hesitation on rapid acceleration that other forum members have mentioned.

I have a bunch of new TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) to learn now. ECT, VRL, MNO, etc (last is a joke).

So, how many other women besides me are posters on this forum?

Dr. T in the California Central Valley
Old 08-27-11, 07:37 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTrekker
First of all, I want to comment on how much this forum has helped me in my first month of ownership of this exquisite care.

I had coveted an sc430 since the larger models in the 1990's. The restyled 2002 - onward models were jaw dropping, and I'd twist my neck every time one went by. It feels like such an accomplishment to finally be sitting in my very own 2002 twilight amethyst SC430!

I bought it at Lexus of Marin, about 80 miles west of where I live. I thought the price was very reasonable. I had encountered the car on autotrader.com and bought it before they had a chance to do the cosmetic fixes. That would have cost me $3,000 to $4,000 more.

I didn't pay much attention to the guidelines about buying a used car. I drove that baby, and it spoke to me, saying "I'm yours."

I have the usual gripes about speaker distortion, outdated Nav DVD, and no bluetooth, but that can all be resolved for about $500. So far, the car seems to run flawlessly except that hesitation on rapid acceleration that other forum members have mentioned.

I have a bunch of new TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) to learn now. ECT, VRL, MNO, etc (last is a joke).

So, how many other women besides me are posters on this forum?

Dr. T in the California Central Valley
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase . You gotta get some pics up so we can see the beauty!

About the hesitation on the acceleration, you can get a Blitz Throttle Controller (Plug and play) and it eliminates it completely! I have one up for sale here.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ontroller.html

It's under the GS forums, but it fits the SC430.

And again, congrats!
Old 08-27-11, 08:20 PM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new find. These cars enjoy all the pampering you can give them to keep them looking in top condition. Enjoy and post some pics.
Old 08-27-11, 08:22 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

How many miles on the car? Try set the transmission on ECT power. That may help with the lag. I have mine on ECT all the time.

The blitz throttle control or the sprint booster is next if you still feel the lag.
Old 08-29-11, 08:45 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Congrats Dr. T!!! Amethyst is a beautiful and unique color, post picts when you can. About the lag, try to reset the ECU before you spend money on the Blitz. The SC was designed to adapt to the owners driving style so you will want to start with your own settings. These are the steps I used, since they do not wipe your key, seat or radio memory settings. I felt a difference but I still use the ECT Power switch for sudden bursts of speed ;D. Directions thanks to Roofless:

This method works for me without losing any settings:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Remove key.

7. Done

I am also a fellow female poster.
Old 08-29-11, 08:49 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to CL. Post some pics of your new SC.
Old 08-29-11, 08:59 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL
Old 08-31-11, 05:17 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, how many other women besides me are posters on this forum?...

I am not sure.but I have been here for awhile..

AZ Katy
Old 08-31-11, 10:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There are probably around 10 women posters on this forum. AZ Katy is the one you see responding the most.
Old 08-31-11, 12:47 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Nice pick up. Welcome to cl.
Old 08-31-11, 12:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

i like the part of how it spoke to you.. congrats on the 2sc and welcome to CL
Old 08-31-11, 02:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapherynth
Congrats Dr. T!!! Amethyst is a beautiful and unique color, post picts when you can. About the lag, try to reset the ECU before you spend money on the Blitz. The SC was designed to adapt to the owners driving style so you will want to start with your own settings. These are the steps I used, since they do not wipe your key, seat or radio memory settings. I felt a difference but I still use the ECT Power switch for sudden bursts of speed ;D. Directions thanks to Roofless:

This method works for me without losing any settings:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Remove key.

7. Done

I am also a fellow female poster.
Thanks for this RESET process. Anybody else try this?
Old 08-31-11, 02:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

And Dr T, we are happy that you have joined us and good luck on your SC430.

Pull out the check book for upgrades and it will make you like the SC a bit more.

Last edited by mandyfig; 09-07-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 11:06 PM
DrTrekker
Driver School Candidate

Default This many miles on my SC

Originally Posted by jzwu
Congrats!

How many miles on the car? Try set the transmission on ECT power. That may help with the lag. I have mine on ECT all the time.

The blitz throttle control or the sprint booster is next if you still feel the lag.
I have been running with the ECT on from Day 1. The car had 67,444 miles on it when I drove off the lot. There are a few more now!

I've gotten several good suggestions about the hesitation. I'm sure one of them will solve the problem.

Dr T
Old 09-06-11, 07:54 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome! Congrats! TAP is one of my favs!!! Black Cherry in overseas markets. Very hard to find die cast model toy cars for your desk in that color!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Lexus SC430 owner at last!