SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Foglights On While Headlights Off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 05:56 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Foglights On While Headlights Off?

I would like to know if the SC allows for the foglights to be turned on, while the headlights remain off (perhaps with the parking lights).

I know the GS's do not support this without some modification, I am wondering if the SC supports this. I searched but did not find an obvious answer.

Thanks
Old 08-26-11, 08:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The SC has to be modified like the IS and GS to get the fogs to turn on with just the park lights. I posted an inquiry on this a long time ago. Doable but with much work.
Old 09-03-11, 06:03 PM
jasone36
Instructor

mandyfig, would you mind pointing me in the direction of the instructions you speak of? I looked at your historic posts but could not immediately locate this item.

Thank you.
Old 09-04-11, 10:18 AM
mandyfig

Read through this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rk-lights.html

I am still interested in getting it done but so progress so far.
Old 09-09-11, 06:14 PM
jasone36
Instructor

mandyfig, thanks for the link. If we had someone on this forum with electrical experience I'm sure they could get it done and document it for us.

Unfortunately that person is not me
Old 09-09-11, 08:58 PM
deadeyed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't realize US spec have this restriction. japan spec can do it, no mod needed.

Old 09-10-11, 10:18 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Indeed that is one awesome feature, I truelly hope someone on this board will document the process to make it work for US-spec cars.
Old 09-11-11, 09:49 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...hey guys I did this mod a few months back. The route I went was pretty simple, I disconnected the power wire going into the foglight and spliced it into the power wire leading into the park light.Do not alter the ground wire for either bulb,this assures you that you have the proper grounds for each light.Since I'm not looking at the car, I know that each bulb has 2 wires(black/color wire). When you turn the lights/parks on, they will come on also.The only thing that changes is that you will not be able to control them with the foglight switch,but that wasn't an issue for me...hope this might help some...ed
Old 09-12-11, 06:31 AM
jasone36
Instructor

texsexlex, thank you very much for sharing the info.

When you said, you "disconnected the power wire going into the foglight and spliced it into the power wire leading into the park light", does that mean you connected the power wire from the foglight to the power wire of the park light, or you combined them into a single wire? If you could please provide a little more detail on this crucial step we would very much appreciate it.

Also, please tell us if this modification caused any of the dash error lights to turn on? I know sometimes when you do wiring work the car may think the lights are burned out and will produce a warning on the dash.

Please let us know, as this is a wonderful modification which I would love to do, thank you.
Old 09-12-11, 03:52 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey guys I did this mod a few months back. The route I went was pretty simple, I disconnected the power wire going into the foglight and spliced it into the power wire leading into the park light.Do not alter the ground wire for either bulb,this assures you that you have the proper grounds for each light.Since I'm not looking at the car, I know that each bulb has 2 wires(black/color wire). When you turn the lights/parks on, they will come on also.The only thing that changes is that you will not be able to control them with the foglight switch,but that wasn't an issue for me...hope this might help some...ed
Wow, why did I not think of this! Do this mod and get a pair of twisted wire bcak to the cabin and provide a switch. Then you have the option of park without fogs on. Not quite fogs on demand but sure is tempting.
Old 09-16-11, 08:29 AM
jasone36
Instructor

You guys indicated "disconnected the power wire going into the foglight and spliced it into the power wire leading into the park light", does that mean you connected the power wire from the foglight to the power wire of the park light, or you combined them into a single wire? If you could please provide a little more detail on this crucial step we would very much appreciate it.

Also, please tell us if this modification caused any of the dash error lights to turn on? I know sometimes when you do wiring work the car may think the lights are burned out and will produce a warning on the dash.

Please let us know, as this is a wonderful modification which I would love to do, thank you.
Old 09-18-11, 11:04 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...hey Jason sorry that it took me so long to get back to the forum. I cut the power wire headed to the foglight about 6in from the bulb,this allows you enough wire to work with(but you can add some if needed). I took the end of the wire(that I cut) that's attached to the foglight bulb,then spiced/piggy backed it into the power wire of the park light. I used a connecter,then capped it and also used electrical tape to keep it completely secure from touching anything under the bumper/fenderwell. I also capped and taped the other end of the power wire(coming from the car/switch), to keep it from touching anything also. Mandy you're correct about adding a seperate switch and even using another power supply for the fogs(instead of the park lights)to have off/on control of them....I'm going to look into doing this when I get into switching out all my bulbs....also no warning lights about bulbs/lights being out...hope this helps
Old 09-20-11, 11:01 AM
jasone36
Instructor

texsexlex, thank you for following up.

I plan on starting this project soon, hopefully your details steps will be of much help!

I have no desire to add in a switch or anything that may complicate matters, I figure the simpler the less chance for issues,

Thinking through this logic, does this mean that the same power source which powers the parking light is now also powering the fog light? I would think that the foglight would require much more power than what is provided to a parking light, does the foglight light up in its normal strength, or is it darker?

Or are you also incorporating the original power cable which normally feeds the fog light too?

On a related note, did you have to remove the bumper to get access to the cabling, or were you able to go under the food or under the car to do the wiring?

And also, how long have you had it working in this configuration without issues? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm a new SC430 owner and I want to be very thorough when I undertake this project, you seem to be one of the few individuals on this forum with experience in this.

Thank again texsexlex!
Old 09-23-11, 07:18 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I received a follow-up from texsexlex, he has been extremely helpful in explaining the steps he took to accomplish this mod. I plan on trying this sometime in the next two weeks. If anyone else tries this please post back to this thread.

from texsexlex (All credit goes to him!):

"...hey Jason glad that I might be able to help you some...to answer your first question ,yes the power from the park light will power the foglight also. There is no difference in the brightness of the light from original ans I've been running mine this way for about 6 months now.I didn't remove the bumper,but I jacked the front of the vehicle up,removed the front tires for easier access. The plastic lining inside the fender well has a few screws that I removed and also the splash pan under the front bumper,with those removed you can reach/see both bulbs. The foglight has 2 wires leading to it. One of the wires is black,the other one is a colored wire...clip the colored wire. The park light will have 2 wires also,a black one and a colored one...splice the colored one. Now connect the colored wire coming from the foglight bulb,to the colored wire leading to the park light...make sure you tape all the connection good to keep them connected and from coming loose, Don't forget to tape other end of the colored wire that you cut headed from car to foglight. When you look for the wires,they may have factory tape or a loom covering them,but it's easy to remove to gain access to the wires....ok I think I answered all the questions...lol, if you have any others,feel free to hit me up Ed"
Old 09-23-11, 09:28 AM
mandyfig

One option that you guys just need to look at is to power the fogs (through the directions as poutlined above) with a direct 12V source (either tap from battery direct or ignition/power on source).

Also when you do this, you must now run a pair of wires into the cabin for your switch.

Now you will have a set of fogs that light up on demand. Ignition /power on source is recommended so even if you forget to turn off your fogs, you are good.

We are getting somewhere.

Quick Reply: Foglights On While Headlights Off?