SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need some help: WHAT will i destroy wiring up new gauges??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 06:24 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help: WHAT will i destroy wiring up new gauges??

Hey guys,
thanks again for all your input on the PROJECT WIDEBODY TWIN TURBO SC430. I have yet ANOTHER question before i do some more destruction:

We are considering ripping out the central gauge cluster (Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Oil Temp) and replacing with DRIFT IRIDIUM gauges, as well as a few others elsewhere in the car. My question is pretty simple.

WHAT WILL THIS DO? i doubt there is a lot fo first hand knowledge on the topic, but if anyone understands the ins and outs of the stock wiring vs. the ECU, and what could seriously go wrong affecting performance. obviously the check engine lights, traction control lights, etc wont work, but will it affect functions and performance? My inclination is to say no, but what I am about to do, i doubt i can reverse.
Let me know your input, and thanks again DRIFT for the gauges.
joey
Old 08-13-11, 06:57 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

ALSO, i dont want to lose my odomenter. thanks
Old 08-13-11, 09:18 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Well the odometer is an EEPROM on the combination meter so you will definitely lose it by ripping out the guages....The rest are really just status displays, i.e. fuel, temperature, tach, speed, brake status, door ajar and all the other systems indicators. I'd be most concerned with the MIL indicator or check engine light, that the ECUs use to enunciate a potential problem(s) from a myriad of systems throughout the car. Without the indicator or some sort of replacement you risk additional damage that otherwise would be avoided.

Of course you can test all of this without too much effort by pulling the combination meter and disconnecting the two modular connectors from the back. And, if ever sell the car, you'll need to disclose the fact that the odometer was disconnected for some period of time, less you run afoul of your local DMV. Then its up to the buyer to decide on the veracity of the information.

Sounds like you should leave the wiring in place, get the wiring diagram for the connectors, and make up a custom harness, redirecting the circuits to another display or place.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-13-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-16-11, 06:00 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

I dont mind losing the status displays, because most of my gauges already will read those (volt, etc). however my feeling is with thhe twin turbos and stand alone, my check engine light be on regardless, and the sensors for my traction control and etc will be firing like mad with thhe big brake upgrade, coilovers etc. my only issue really is losing this odometer. i might be able to recess the existing stuff and create a facade over them, but wondering if i can even biggy back the gauges, so both tachs, speedos, fuel, etc work off the existing ones.
if you have any schematics and diagrams that will work, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-17-11, 08:14 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Much of what happens between various sub-systems in an SC are digital communications that pass on various busses. A wiring diagram and connector pinouts will tell you what connects to what but it won't tell you the format or content of messages on a bus. Here are a couple of block diagrams that will give you an idea of the level of integration of systems and complexity of the communications. With the combination meter disconnected it would surprise me if the car would start and run (but I've been surprised before). Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC430 Multiplex Comm System.pdf (24.5 KB, 470 views)