SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need Help / Keeping '03 sc430 Current To Todays Standards

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 02:25 PM
maninpaso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help / Keeping '03 sc430 Current To Todays Standards

I am looking for help from California members primarily (central coastal optimally) that know of a “great” auto body/auto restorer… but anywhere in CA would work. Interested in air in-take, front stabilizers, premium paint, rear back-up camera/video stereo, etc. Also suggestions welcome and encouraged. Anything that will bring my ’03 Twilight Amethyst Pearl (love of my life) current to 2012 standards. Thanks to all especially those with leads.

New Member Here
Old 07-25-11, 03:16 AM
ALBINO
Rookie

Default Welcome to the Forum

Originally Posted by maninpaso

I am looking for help from California members primarily (central coastal optimally) that know of a “great” auto body/auto restorer… but anywhere in CA would work. Interested in air in-take, front stabilizers, premium paint, rear back-up camera/video stereo, etc. Also suggestions welcome and encouraged. Anything that will bring my ’03 Twilight Amethyst Pearl (love of my life) current to 2012 standards. Thanks to all especially those with leads.

New Member Here

I would suggest that you read the many threads that are available. That will give you an idea of who, has done what.... Many of the CA members have done many, many mods to their SC's. They should be able to refer you to some of the restorers. If they will not, CA has many custom shops on every street..... Pick one.... Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-11, 07:22 AM
maninpaso
Driver School Candidate

I've been doing just that... thanks.
Old 08-01-11, 08:00 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless your paint is badly damaged, you really shouldn't have it re-painted. A professional detail will get out any minor scratches and get it looking like new.

Some things you might consider (depending on your budget) are aftermarket wheels and a body kit. If you go that direction, you'd also want to get coilovers.

A cold air intake will give your car a throatier growl when you step on it. But it really doesn't help performance. Personally, I don't think it's worth getting into performance mods on an SC430. They tend to be expensive and give you little return on your money.

You might also consider 06+ taillights or tinting your older ones red. The amber makes them look dated.

You can upgrade your navigation to the newer generation nav. That'll look a little more modern, though it's probably not any more functional. Another option would be to ditch the stock stereo and navigation and go with an aftermarket system. Again, it all depends how much $ you want to spend.

You also might consider trading your '03 in for an '06. That's when they gave the front end a makeover and switched to the LED taillights.
Old 08-01-11, 01:26 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all CONGRATULATIONS! I have never met a current or former SC owner who regretted the decision to buy the best car on the planet. I might be a bit prejudiced. At least you live within a few hours drive from Luxury Motorworks and the BEST mod you will ever get for your SC. I never heard of the place or person (Steve) until one week after purchasing my 02 in June of 2008. Thanks to this FORUM for making this introduction. His shop is in Monrovia California, which is 1/2 - 1 1/2 from me.

His mod is called luxlink, which will start your car and put the roof and windows down (or up) all with the oem remote. It also allows you to press the roof button 2x and then you will not have to hold it down while the roof goes up or down. In my case, I also had steve put in a rear window module which will allow you to open and close the rear windows using the front drivers window switch.

He also added NavTool & VaisTech which allows me to have a back-up camera and have RCA jacks in the console for an Ipod, video game, or in my case a DVD player that all plays through the Nav screen & audio system. With the flip of a switch (under the dash), I can switch back to the nav screen. The back-up camera works whenever you are in reverse, whether you have the nav on or are using the DVD. I have many DVDs with music videos that I usually play and the sound of course, comes thru the audio system. All of this was done by Steve, as well as mechanical repairs and maintenance. Steve personally did all this work and knows the SC 430 inside and out. I feel fortunate that I live within an hour of this very knowledgeble source. Granted, you're a bit further, but at least you are not across the country from him. Just google Luxury Motorworks and/or if your in facebook, check the posts about Luxlink. It MIGHT not be too late to get one of the last Luxlinks made.

BTW, the 02 & 03 are pretty much identical. The 04 was slightly different as was the 05 which added phone to the audio system. While the 06+ looks the same (NOT to most owners, though) there were signicant changes, especially with mechanical. Electronics were improved greatly. Your SC and mine are really the same car, so the changes can be made in the same fashion.

John
Old 08-09-11, 06:22 AM
airmaui
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tinting your older ones red?

[QUOTE=Liquid SC;6575185]
You might also consider 06+ taillights or tinting your older ones red. The amber makes them look dated.
QUOTE]

Hi,
I was curious about your comment,"tinting your older ones red".
I have an '03. How would you tint the taillights? Thanks.
Old 08-09-11, 06:59 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

a tint shop can cut out some red vinyl to cover the circle amber part of the tail lights.
Old 08-09-11, 07:22 AM
Yes

I ordered pre-cut tint off ebay then had a local tint shop install it. If you search, "taillight tint sc430," you should find some sellers. If you can't find anyone selling it in red, try writing the ones selling smoke.

By the way, I'd recommend red over smoke as red looks better (the amber still shows through smoke) and cops won't know you tinted it red. It's pretty obvious when your lights are tinted smoke and you might get a ticket.
Old 08-15-11, 03:28 AM
maninpaso
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for your input.. I’ve had my car for 4 years now and still love it, maybe even more so. I bought it from a friend who purchased a ‘06 Pebble Beach. I just had the major service done (90k) and told the Service Manager at Monterey Lexus my car is just now broken in.. the car purrs. I love this car and without exaggeration I receive compliments on the car everyday I have it out. People love the deep amethyst color. Once in Avila Beach a couple step into the street to stop me to tell me of a hot rod they had back in the day the same color… I love the good feelings this car invokes..I love the stories and conversations I’ve had with car enthusiast.

Against advise I’m having the front/rear bumpers and hood painted at the best shop in the area this week (chips, parallel parking bandits) …so I will be biting the inside of my mouth with nerves until I get the car back. I know they will do a great job but still it’s not going to be fun wait and see.

I’ve enjoyed reading and researching the threads on this forum.
Old 08-15-11, 04:50 AM
Yes

The reason I'd advise against getting it repainted is aftermarket paint will be thinner and will chip much more easily. Unless the rock chips are really bad now, they'll likely be worse a year from now than if you'd left it alone. If you do go ahead and paint it, I'd look into paint protection. It's basically clear plastic that protects against paint chips. If it's a second car and you can not drive it for a month, I'd let it set so the paint fully cures and have it done. Just make sure whoever does it knows it has been repainted. If they're not careful, they can pull the paint off the car while installing the film.